PDA

View Full Version : Cut wire from ignition coil

novathere
29-12-12, 12:06 PM
Hi guys wondering if anyone can help. I've bought a nova which I'm restoring. I'm putting the standard 1.2 back in for now but he previous owner has cut 2 wires. They go from the connector that connects to the ignition coil. There's 3 wires one is brown and one is red, is the red just a constant 12v? And whats the brown?? Or can anyone tell me where is comes from so I can poss match is back up. Thanks for any help

mowgli
29-12-12, 01:14 PM
the black wire is ign +ve it should connect to pin 15 on the coil
and the red is connected from pin 15 on the coil (see above) to [B+] on the dizzy
the brown is connected from pin 1 on the coil to [C-] on the dizzy.
if you have a rev counter, the wire should be green & connected to pin 1 on the coil too

more importantly, is the car mk1 or mk2, what engine did it start off with & did it have before the 1.2 went in?

novathere
29-12-12, 04:18 PM
So I'm missing the plug that goes into the dizzy?? It's a mk1 but I'm using a mk2 1.2 with mk1 carb/inlet, yeah it started off as a 1.2 star. Thanks for your help

novathere
29-12-12, 09:53 PM
Just had a look what do you mean by pin 15?? I hve a ignition lead going from dizzy to coil then 4 spade connectors coming out of the coil which is where the plug which is cut goes. It has 1 black wire going into it and the red & brown coming out which are cut & also have no plug for the dizzy ( cut off I presume?) on the dizzy the plug has + o -

Thanks in advance

Jon_nova1
29-12-12, 10:37 PM
i think Mowgli is talking about the ignition module that sits under the coil, i can't see the red being constant live otherwise your ignition coil will be constant live? that's where they connect to?

edit, sorry i was getting incredibly confused lol

mowgli
29-12-12, 10:41 PM
the 1.2 carb engine has 2 wires from the coil to the dizzy. the red & the brown. the carb engine has no ignition module as such, simply a 12v coil & the black capped delco dizzy (with the cap held on by 2 screws)
the dizzy is earthed thru the engine.
the coil also has the black feed wire from the ign switch.

anything else is wrong.

novathere
29-12-12, 11:02 PM
That's the set up I have but I have a red dizzy not black, will that matter? If so is there anything else I can get one off from a scrap yard? Would the red one go to the + and brown to the -? And if I wire a green one from the o to the clocks would that work? Mechanically I'm good, electrically.. Well I'm here! Lol thanks

mowgli
30-12-12, 09:43 AM
what engine was the red dizzy from?

novathere
31-12-12, 09:18 AM
1.2 spi from a mk2 nova

mowgli
31-12-12, 09:28 AM
the 1.2spi dizzy is not a stand alone item, like the 1.2 carb one. the spi one is only a trigger for the ignition controller, and then the ignition controller works the coil.. the mk1 inlet will not fit the spi head properly. what fuel tank/pump are you using?

please post up some pics

meritlover
31-12-12, 09:54 AM
the spi distributer will have a fixed trigger for base timing i.e no advance/retard. It will run terribly flat even if you got it to run.

marc69
31-12-12, 12:21 PM
Just get a carb distributor, it has the correct wires and plug which go straight into your coil and away it goes....The SPi distributor will not work.

mowgli
31-12-12, 12:48 PM
then there is the issue of making a carb type dizzy fit to an spi type camshaft.

novathere
31-12-12, 06:16 PM
Omg what have I done lol I didn't think it would be this complicated my next engine will
Be another c20xe there easy!!

novathere
31-12-12, 06:16 PM
What's the easiest way to post pics?

novathere
31-12-12, 06:23 PM
Will the carb fit on the spi manifold? I still have that but the only reason I'm not using it is because I have no loom for it so was just hoping to simply just swap manifold but this doesn't seem the case!

brainsnova
31-12-12, 07:16 PM
What's the easiest way to post pics?

Use photobucket or the likes, upload your pics then paste the img code on here

jimbob-mcgrew
17-01-13, 01:10 AM
Omg what have I done lol I didn't think it would be this complicated my next engine will
Be another c20xe there easy!!

how you getting on with this mate ?

photos on here are abit of a ball ache, you have to upload to photobucket or similar hose first, then use a direct link to branch a picture across from its source.