PDA

View Full Version : Help regarding ignition issue

ash.blue
28-12-12, 08:23 PM
I took on a project that had the key snapped in the door lock (not helpful) as a result the ignition barrel was removed and 2 switches (1 for primary ignition, the 2nd switch cuts power to coil) .. Aswell as a button start.

My question is this. Will it fail an mot on the this basis ?
Any help is very appreciated :)
Thanks for reading this
Ash

meritlover
28-12-12, 08:52 PM
no but you might get a few raised eye brows when you turn up with it.

ash.blue
28-12-12, 09:13 PM
Cheers for the reply, with a straight answer. I tried google but wasnt any decent info on any pages. Was all kinds of jibberish answer like "not 100% but mate wore out key so used screwdriver" .. No clear relation to my issue.
Id heard it could be a unpleasant police attractor if they see no igntion .. But im safe for now till I can get a permanent solution to get new locks and ignition sorted
Thanks again :)

mowgli
28-12-12, 09:53 PM
you can usually swap an ign barrel quite easily.

if you are worried about the rozzers, glue half a key to the barrel

ash.blue
28-12-12, 11:24 PM
Only problem with sticking a key to ignition is theres nothin to stick a key too :D .. Theres just a hole where it once sat in the shroud.
Ill look into gettin a barrel and having ago at replacing it

brainsnova
28-12-12, 11:34 PM
I have a ignition barrel and boot lock with 2 keys but the ignition is just the barrel as I used the other part to fix a corsa c Ignition

Jon_nova1
29-12-12, 08:43 AM
Having no key or ignition barrel can land you with an arrest on suspision of motor theft, you will probably be OK as its not Hot wired take proof the car is yours or keep the snapped key on your keyring just to be safe if you want.

There is no MOT failure for it, there is however a failure for not having wires tied up or out of the way that came in on the last MOT update, aslong as they're zipped tied or not showing your fine.

ash.blue
29-12-12, 11:31 AM
The key got snapped off in the drivers door lock.

Yer, ive heard and saw it about on forums where people with dodgey ignitions have been pulled up on how it looks and works. Ive got the key still, luckily. The lad I got it from has tucked all wires back on themselves, and hidden them all behind dashboard.

As I say, its a project and first car tbh .. Im takin it slowly and gathering as much info as possible. Last thing I want is it get towed while im not in it :/ .. I like the whole no key start thing its qwerky but id rather be safe than sorry