PDA

View Full Version : Steering arm inclination measurement, anyone help?

boffer8
26-12-12, 05:29 PM
Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone can help me, I'm after someone to measure the angle of their steering arms please? Ideally someone with about a -40 or -60 drop.

It's so I can do a few calculations for my bump steer and seen as I don't have a built nova it's a bit difficult for me to do! :(

If I can get a few people to do it that would be great so that I can take an average.

Not really bothered how you measure it so long as its as accurate as you can get it, even using your iPhones app to do so will give a good enough measurement!

Hope a few of you can help!

Cheers
Ben

therealnovaboy
26-12-12, 09:56 PM
It will depend on what camber you are running so i cant see how you can find an average and calculate anything? if the camber stays the same the SAI will remain the same regardless of the drop. it will only change if you move the angle at which the shock meets the hub, as happens when you use camber bolts on the hub/shock to change the camber.

Iain
26-12-12, 10:11 PM
Surely the amount of camber people will run won't affect the arm angle THAT much as it'll just mean the TRE will sit at a different angle at the end?

therealnovaboy
26-12-12, 10:14 PM
t will if you calculate it with an iphone as its combined SAI. if he wants to know the SAI just bolt the strut to the hub and measure the angle from the top of the strut to the bottom ball joint.

boffer8
26-12-12, 11:13 PM
If your running stupid amounts of camber (I.e oval racers) it will have an effect and so cause issues with what I want to do, but a couple of degrees or so will not cause an issue as this can be adjusted out in my own camber adjustment, basically if its a road car or rally car then a measurement from this will do, if it's a highly tuned and dialled in race car (I.e jonlems mates) then that may cause some issues but I think that even then I will be able to far surpass that amount of adjustment needed to cancel this out with the plans I have ;)

therealnovaboy
27-12-12, 02:00 AM
sorry i thought you were on about the angle of stearing inclination not the steering arm inclination.

camber wont have an effect on it at all.

boffer8
30-12-12, 06:22 PM
Anybody do any measurements for me?

Iain
30-12-12, 06:55 PM
Will try and do it tomorrow if its not chucking it down!

boffer8
30-12-12, 09:22 PM
Cheers Iain that would be great!