PDA

View Full Version : oil pickup pipe cleaning

jimbob-mcgrew
20-12-12, 01:55 AM
hey guys.
whats the best way to clean the gauze pickup pipe ?

i was thinking to scrub and wash thru with petrol, but might not be the best idea if any stays behind and mixes with the oil afterwards.

also i hear its imperitive the rubber o ring on the pipe connection is replaced afterwards, is that true or can you get away without ?

cheers :thumb:

bazil
20-12-12, 02:08 AM
If your removing the pipe then petrol will be fine, any excess should evaporate before refitting, and yes you should replace the O ring with a new one so you dont have any oil starvation issues on pick up.

jimbob-mcgrew
20-12-12, 02:25 AM
cheers bazil.
any idea where i can source an o ring, cant find one on ebay.
also when refitting, is it worth using some sealant alongside the cork gasket ?

bazil
20-12-12, 02:43 AM
You might still get one from vauxhall to be fair,

I have an rubber oring kit I bought from a motor factors years ago, comes in handy for things like that.

Personally I'd use a rubber seal on the sump but that's just my preference and I usually put a very thin skin of sealant on too.

I hope it's not as clogged as my Audi was, 90k miles and full Audi service history, but still looked like this :(
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/audi/P5230097.jpg

jimbob-mcgrew
20-12-12, 09:19 AM
dont think theres a vaux dealer near me, only sales fronts. ill look into the o-ring kit i think.
i did find one on a site for an XE, not sure if its the same dimensions as 8v ? was only 25p if i remember.

ive got a cork gasket already so ill give it a try. if it fails, ill get a rubber replacement.
yeh that pickups pretty gunked !
i think moisture in the oil can gradually do that over time. maybe extra long runs too, burning the oil ?

nice one bazil, appreciate the help :)

meritlover
20-12-12, 10:13 AM
lack of regular maintenance is what chokes strainers like that. 'full service history' means nothing either.

soak in diesel of petrol over night, brush with wire brush to remove the stuck on pieces, rinse with fuel again and blow out with airline

bazil
20-12-12, 02:14 PM
Very true about the FSH, the long life service plan has seen the death of many 1.8T vag engines to oil starvation.