PDA

View Full Version : Focus clutch

Markd89
19-12-12, 08:35 PM
Back again non vauxhall..

Replacing a focus clutch and concentric cylinder, bolted it all back up to find that the clutch hydraulic pipe doesnt fit into the concentric cylinder its to big.

Ive contacted the parts place and the part number is correct as is the slave cylinder, ford only list one clutch pipe also so im pretty stumped.

anyone come accross this before ?

raf24
19-12-12, 08:37 PM
We have had a nightmare with these at work,transit connect tdci & focus tdci seem to be the worst.

meritlover
19-12-12, 08:38 PM
no.

16v Nova Kev
19-12-12, 08:58 PM
Try and change the pipe?

Markd89
19-12-12, 09:13 PM
Try and change the pipe?

To what ? according to ford all of the clutch hydraulic pipes are the same throughout the range...

I had it before on a fiesta and that came with a plastic adapter for the slave cylinder, you cant buy these seperate and there isnt one needed for the one i fitted.

John
19-12-12, 09:24 PM
I once had this problem on a fiesta. Gave in and bought a gen slave.

Markd89
19-12-12, 09:35 PM
I once had this problem on a fiesta. Gave in and bought a gen slave.

just annoying now i have put the box back on and pretty much just need to bleed the system now

Andy
19-12-12, 09:37 PM
its clearly the wrong one for the car,despite what the parts place say

Markd89
19-12-12, 09:58 PM
its clearly the wrong one for the car,despite what the parts place say

Even ford have cross referenced the part numbers and said they are correct ! ive told them several times its wrong, they said i may need the earlier pipe from a mk1 focus, even though they also said that there is only 1 pipe listed.

i have a mate looking into it now who works at ford, pain in the ****

chrisnieldgte
19-12-12, 10:00 PM
yes i work at a well known national clutch centre :( (mr clutch)... you can either buy a modified pipe from ford, expensive... or take the box back out and replace the slave... if it was a metal slave im sure the new plastic slave needs to have a black bleed nipple. or if you buy a budget (old sytle metal slave) it will be the same

chrisnieldgte
19-12-12, 10:03 PM
ive also known on these that if the pipe goes in so far just not enough that the slave cylinder hole needs making SLIGHTLY bigger. normally by pushing and twisting it until it fits!
sounds rough, but i promise it works. unless its tooooootally different!
i.i.r.c theres 4mm and 7mm selections...

Markd89
19-12-12, 10:06 PM
The slave i removed was plastic, the one ive put in was metal. is there no other option apart from the modified pipe ? could you not use a pipe from a different model ( mk1 ), i dont fancy taking the box out again i might just have to charge the customer extra for the pipe if i can get it on trade cheap enough

meritlover
19-12-12, 10:07 PM
ive also known on these that if the pipe goes in so far just not enough that the slave cylinder hole needs making SLIGHTLY bigger. normally by pushing and twisting it until it fits!

i would like you to read this post to me over and over again whilst i close my eyes.

chrisnieldgte
19-12-12, 10:11 PM
mmm i know, like i say, it sounds rough but theres plenty of cars out there like this. its more the aftermarket parts made slightly different than anything else.
and is it a mk2 focus? they are most definately different connections than mk1

Markd89
19-12-12, 10:13 PM
yes its a 54 plate, so more than likely the slave cylinder is for a mk1, so in theory the pipe from a mk1 focus should fit ? or am i barking up the wrong tree "woof"

chrisnieldgte
19-12-12, 10:14 PM
at the end of the day, i doubt it is going to take you more than a hour to take the gbox back out... then take the old slave to your parts place and say match that! but for godddd sake, the number 1 rule i learnt after falling for this is ALWAYS check the slave fits the pipe!

Markd89
19-12-12, 10:16 PM
at the end of the day, i doubt it is going to take you more than a hour to take the gbox back out... then take the old slave to your parts place and say match that! but for godddd sake, the number 1 rule i learnt after falling for this is ALWAYS check the slave fits the pipe!

this is true, i will never fit one again until i've checked it fits alot less hassle.

chrisnieldgte
19-12-12, 10:16 PM
yes, i.i.r.c after 03 the slaves changed over. if its a mk1 focus still, you CAN change the pipe, around £40 from ford. or rip the box back out and change the slave for around £20 pal

Markd89
19-12-12, 10:20 PM
yes, i.i.r.c after 03 the slaves changed over. if its a mk1 focus still, you CAN change the pipe, around £40 from ford. or rip the box back out and change the slave for around £20 pal

in all honesty i'd rather charge the customer £40 for a new pipe saves me taking the box off again mainly becuase im pissed off with it.

So the pipe from a mk1 focus would be different to the mk2, in theory if i go to a scrappy and get a mk1 pipe it should fit the slave cylinder, or must it be the modified pipe from ford

chrisnieldgte
19-12-12, 10:55 PM
yes it will be different, but you would need to take the old pipe with you to check each end, you dont want the same problem all over again...
check and triple check next time pal. i learnt the hard way as well :(