PDA

View Full Version : Good spec turbo... What do i do!?

r.wadge
19-12-12, 04:29 PM
Hi guys, its come to the point where I need to build a c20 turbo. Looking for round 300-400bhp if I can do it without having to re-mortgage.I need a nova that’s going to scare me for life lol. Im considering re-bore,new pistons, rods, valves, cams, bigger turbo, ecu etc.. Im going to be keeping this engine and Im seeing it as money to be well spent. I have never built an engine before but I believe im capable of doing it over time, im in it for the experience as much as the final product. As said this is going to be a long term project for me, as I don’t really know where to start. Any ideas, different routes to take, anything will be much appreciated. This forum is going to dictate how I am going to go about it (within reason :p). I plan on starting next year and doing a build thread for the whole operation, im just mainly looking for routes to take, costs, anything to get a solid plan together which I can stick to. This is a must do for me so all help will be more than appreciated.

Cheers guys!

matthew172
19-12-12, 05:44 PM
id say steel rods,
forged pistons,
stock valves and head will do 400hp but you might want some double springs in there depending how much boost you run,
xe inlet cam let exhaust cam
steel head gasket, thickness depending how much meat is on the head
gt30 turbo
decent size intercooler
750cc injectors
emerald or dta management
thats the basics, you could go on and on

meritlover
19-12-12, 06:53 PM
.......you could go on and on

yes, i would go on and on

r.wadge
19-12-12, 07:19 PM
lol, i wanna go on and on... looking to renew everything possible. I have the facilities at work to get all parts coated with low friction high wear coatings. I just want a brand new engine with stupidly dangerous power, that i built. Just not sure what path to go down... Seeing as most of you guys on here have already got life threatening beauties, ive got to find out what route is most productive, cost effective etc etc.. If i can get even higher than the 400bhp with a REASONABLE price, its going to happen :)

Will F
19-12-12, 09:21 PM
Define reasonable.To get a genuine and reliable 400 plus, you're looking at around seven grand.

NOVA-LE67
20-12-12, 06:41 PM
its not just the egine upgrade parts that are going to cost you. your going to need a new diff £700 uprated clutch £300 -£500 good tyres £500 plus a lot more and a lot of strengthening which = alot of time. i don't really see the point in a 400+BHP nova if its going to be a road car. i am currently building mine at around 250BHP as its going to be on road for 6 months. then ill be taking it off the road and upping the power for a toy.
for actual engine parts i believe the best mods you can do after building a good engine are fly wheel, crank and pistons. all allow higher revs which = more power but wouldn't work well on road.
i would say seven grand would be about right if not more but im just a college boy so.......

Nick J
20-12-12, 07:58 PM
Personally Id say you need no more than 270/300 tops in an nova...........That will give you a damn quick car that if built and setup properly will last a long time especially if you rebuild the motor and forge the bottom end. Use it in coordination with a quaife diff or similar and it will be cracking.

blue_peg_16v
20-12-12, 10:03 PM
as nick has said for a road car 270-300 bhp is plenty my loon ran phase 3 have a print out for 306bhp and as spud and others will verify it was more than quick enough, and was a handfull to get the power down anyway any more and it would probably be undrivable on uk roads, 300bhp in a nova will eat your licence very quickly if your not careful

Mieran
20-12-12, 11:37 PM
It gets expensive after 300bhp so you need to decide what power you want

mowgli
21-12-12, 12:11 AM
surely a z20let would be a better bet these days?

Edd
21-12-12, 09:10 AM
^^^ shocking engine lol

They're not reliable at 200bhp lol dread to think what it would be like at 400bhp

Graeme
21-12-12, 09:33 AM
I'd call Steve Milton and talk money with him and decide the the figures he quotes are that you want to spend, he has most reliable components to build good reliable motors

meritlover
21-12-12, 10:10 AM
^^^ shocking engine lol

...... dread to think what it would be like at 400bhp

a hand grenade with razor blades cellotaped onto it.

bazzap8389
21-12-12, 10:33 AM
^ lol

r.wadge
21-12-12, 05:03 PM
300 is plenty for what im really looking for. I mainly want to do this as a learning experience and to utilise the facilities at work lol. Too much you can do to these engines just wanna do it all.. Going to stick to 300. Any ideas or routes to get there will be much appreciated. Looking for solid reliability mainly. cheers guys

blue_peg_16v
21-12-12, 07:04 PM
Hybrid turbo xe inlet cam large intercooler phase 3 software arp rod bolts steel head gasket and arp head stud set possibly under piston oil squirters for piece of mind