PDA

View Full Version : 1.0 problems

dannymcc
19-12-12, 11:48 AM
Last night I put some fresh petrol in my Nova which hasn't been started in 2 months. I changed the leads and cap back then but I didn't start it. There is fuel getting to the carb and the battery has been on a charger so there is plenty of life in that, but the car won't start, it just turns over.

I thought that the firing order was as follows: bottom left of the cap is number 1, above that is 3, beside that is 4 and the last one is 2.

Maybe that is wrong but does anyone know what the correct firing order is or what else it could be?

mowgli
19-12-12, 12:06 PM
The firing order is clockwise.
4 top right
2 bottom right
3 top left
1 bottom left.
So 1342 from no.1 at the bottom left of dizzy.
Put it like that, and it will work :wink:

I can't really see your 1L being different to every other 1L every made :roll:
but you never know :wink: :lol: :lol:

just found this. hope it helps

dannymcc
19-12-12, 12:20 PM
Cheers for that Mowgli. :thumb:

The firing order must be correct then, but its still not going. :(

Any other ides of what it could be?

Steve
19-12-12, 03:16 PM
Rotor arm, points and condensor are cheap enough to buy and always worth check/ replacing on a 1.0

Fresh fuel filter too incase its dragged some muck up through the lines.

VXRNuTTA
19-12-12, 03:35 PM
Is everything okay with the fuel line?
I had this problem where there was a slight hole in my fuel line which was sucking air in and not turning it over.

marc69
19-12-12, 05:55 PM
99 percent of the time it is the ignition with these engines.

Has the distributor been moved at all meaning the timing is miles out?

Check there is a spark, here is a really bad way to do it, remove a spark plug with one f the leads, put it on the block, get someone to turn the engine and see i there is a decent spark.

Also check that the other plugs are drenched in petrol.

dannymcc
19-12-12, 06:46 PM
Cheers everybody for the help. :thumb:

I checked the fuel lines and they are fine and the fuel filter is full of petrol.

I removed the cap and...............................

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h431/DMcC97/SAM_0344_zps17ff4717.jpg

as Marc said, I think the distributor has been moved. How do I go about putting it back to the way it should? :confused:

dannymcc
19-12-12, 09:06 PM
Took the plugs out there now, and yes they have some petrol around them.

marc69
19-12-12, 10:30 PM
The easiest way is make sure your battery is full of charge, get a mate to crank the car with the tightening bolt slackened a bit on the distributor. Move the distributor slightly one way or the other till it almost starts to go (don't have the choke on, it'll just flood). then it's just adjusting until it runs, after this it's strobe light once it's warmed up etc.

If the angle of the distributor on these is really bad it is actually possible to remove the distributor out, realign it and start again. Haynes guide to lining it up is rubbish.

Incidently, you have the delco remmy distributor which mine should have (Ihave the bosch) If you ever get another delco remmy give me a shout! (want mine as original as possible)

marc69
19-12-12, 10:31 PM
Before you move the distributor though, check there is a spark. The coil or condenser or points could have packed up. Moving the timing should be the last resort only once fuel and spark have been established.