PDA

View Full Version : Corsa advice

mk1nova_rich
18-12-12, 12:46 PM
Right, my 52-plate Corsa C has failed its MOT on a few things. I've sorted some bits but I'm gona ask advice before I plough money into repairing it as I'm not intending on keeping it much longer.

Excessive play in the steering system - I swapped the track rods (ends are only a few months old too) and its still the same so rack needs changing...which is a subframe off job

Rear brakes are pretty much non-existent lol I've got the shoes and cylinders but when I removed the drums theyre fooked as well. £100 for the pair including new bearings

Water pump is leaking...really can't be arsed doing. £45 for a new one.

Got very little spare time and zero inclination to get it sorted as its a boring car. Should I get rid as it is or wait til its sorted then flog it?? Reckon I'd get a reasonable amount for it as it is? Its a tidy car other than the above and has had lots of new parts over the last 6 months

BRoadGhost
18-12-12, 01:20 PM
The steering will be the arms come loose where they wind onto the rack ends, not the rack itself.

Pay for parts & do 1 thing at a time whenever the sun's shining, this time of year...

MK999
18-12-12, 01:34 PM
Problem you have is you can do all of this yourself, to 90% of your prospective buyers a "couple things for MOT" is a £600 bill from a garage.

mk1nova_rich
18-12-12, 03:31 PM
Broad...I swapped the arms its the rack itself

16xe_chris
19-12-12, 08:16 AM
What will it be worth after you have done all of them bits to it?

Is it a fancy model? Sri/six/cdti?

staggy_gsi
19-12-12, 07:26 PM
Once or twice i have managed to tighten the pinion up a little. Might be worth trying before shelling out for a new rack....

Spudly
19-12-12, 07:38 PM
Scrap it and drive your......, oh you cant drive either of your nova's as youve gotten rid.....

Scrap it......

And walk lol

Southie
19-12-12, 07:42 PM
A cars worth naff all without an MOT but if its going to cost you more to fix it to get it on the road just to sell it on its not worth fixing IMO.

mk1nova_rich
19-12-12, 10:00 PM
I think the amount it will cost to put right will be less than the amount I'd lose selling it as it is over when its sorted....so I'm gona keep it for now.

Further investigation in my Haynes Manual shows that the water pump on these engines (Z12XE) is part of a big end plate on the engine. Its likely to be the gasket that has gone causing the leak so that should be fixable -but a pain in the ****

Then fingers crossed I can get the rack through as an advisory lol