PDA

View Full Version : bonnet pin placement and slam panel bar

turbojolt
16-12-12, 12:24 PM
where have you lot attached your rear bonnet pins :confused:

Ive sorted the front ones and by the looks of everyone elses Ive put them in the wrong place, never mind :roll:

also whats the purpose of the straight bar going from the lower lip to the slam panel, i cant see it adding that much extra strength and its just a obstacle in front on the radiator, so if its not there for any unforeseen reason i will lob it off

cheers.

Lewis.
16-12-12, 01:09 PM
the vertical bar is just a brace for the bonnet catch. If you're not using one then it's obsolete. You can't really put the pins in the 'wrong' place as such, if they hold the bonnet down then all is well.

you got a picture of yours fitted?

turbojolt
16-12-12, 03:05 PM
i havent drilled out the bonnet yet but i will get one of them half fitted in a bit mate

Iain
16-12-12, 04:13 PM
Mine are here

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP2/580.JPG

As you're using pins bar can be removed, as you say it stops you getting the rad in from the front. Might be worth thinking about removing the whole slam panel while you're there and think it'd be useful in the future.

Benn
16-12-12, 05:52 PM
the vertical bar is just a brace for the bonnet catch. If you're not using one then it's obsolete.

Yes and no. It's also to hold the slam in tight so the bonnet doesn't move when driving. I don't have one, my bonnet moves abit while moving at higher speeds.

I see no need to cut the slam panel out. Rad comes out easy from the front with the bar removed.. Even with a turbo in place.

16xe_chris
16-12-12, 06:04 PM
Rear pins are normally fitted with the help of some flat bar put across the rear corner. Drill through the wing and then drill through the scuttle/bonnet recess part and either bolt or rivet the flat bar there, then mount your pin on that.

Sometimes people have put corner plates on top so the rear of the bonnet slides under then drops onto your front pins.

turbojolt
16-12-12, 07:33 PM
if i removed the slam panel what would help keep the radiator stable as it would remove the top mounting points for it :confused:

or is the pipes and bottom mounts enough to keep it where its ment to be, wouldn't mind making it easier to gain access to stuff was also thinking of removing the fire wall aswell

Benn
17-12-12, 07:54 AM
Again, with the bar out of the front, you can get the rad out easy as. But the rad will suport it's self.. mine does..

paul james
17-12-12, 08:26 AM
You can still get the radiator in and out of the front with that vertical bar in place

Jon_nova1
17-12-12, 05:19 PM
Just hope you don't get a picky MOT tester, you need a primary and secondary bonnet latch, the primary being bonnet pins and secondary being the safety catch when your bonnet pops

Lewis.
17-12-12, 06:17 PM
The primary catch is one pin, the secondary catch is the other pin lol The test manual is vague at best, it all depends on how its interpreted :thumb:

Jack
17-12-12, 07:11 PM
I see no need to cut the slam panel out. Rad comes out easy from the front with the bar removed.. Even with a turbo in place.
And with a V6 lol

I find my slam panel is a bit flappy. I've got pins and the catch still there, I don't really trust pins alone.