PDA

View Full Version : Y17DT not starting

bazil
16-12-12, 01:45 AM
So my 53 plate combo won't start,

Battery is fine, ignition lights working, starter does not turn but realays click,

If towed it starts with a bump?

Any ideas? I seen a few threads about immobilizers and EDU unit failures but the threads are clear as mud!

Suggestions welcome,

Lewis.
16-12-12, 08:33 AM
If it starts with a tow then it can't be an ECU or immobiliser fault

I'd suggest checking the starter motor. Get someone to turn the key to crank, and check for a 12v feed at the solenoid. also check it has a good earth. use a jump lead from the motor body to the battery -ve terminal to rule it out. If the solenoid had a feed, then it's likely the motor.

meritlover
16-12-12, 11:55 AM
short the solenoid across the 2 heavy terminals and see if the engine/motor turns. that will prove the solenoid is U/S. it would be nice to check the earth, but earth faults of this nature often result in cooking any other thin wire that goes between the engine and earth or to a point of less potential than the battery +.

do your lights/dash dip when you turn the starter? that may be a sign of a dead cell in the battery if they do.

be sure and have a nice day!

xx

chrisd1986
16-12-12, 11:58 AM
My nova sometimes dose this when its hot or cold, give your starter a good tap with some wood and see how you go but it dose sound like you need a starter motor to me

bazil
16-12-12, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the replies, I shall get a hammer and screwdriver into it when I get out of bed,

The ignition lights or interior lights do not dim when trying to start it

meritlover
16-12-12, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the replies, I shall get a hammer and screwdriver into it when I get out of bed,

The ignition lights or interior lights do not dim when trying to start it

you should have taken your tools to bed with you last night. if the lights do not dim, its likely the starter is not engaging or the solenoid is stuck/sad

mowgli
16-12-12, 12:38 PM
when we ran astra diesels, we used to get something similar, and it was caused by the starter gear not engaging with the ring gear, we used to cure it by sticking it in 3rd, letting the handbrake off & rocking it back & forth to move the flywheel a touch so the starter would throw..

also check if there is a relay between the starter solenoid & ign switch. they can fail too

bazil
16-12-12, 12:48 PM
The relays have been checked and are working, the starter isn't even spinning mowgli, not even a click from it, it's like there is no starter fitted at all?

chrisd1986
16-12-12, 12:50 PM
Solenoid is sticking or failed, give it a good tap just dont dent it and just carry somthing round with you to tap it with, mine done it to me after i met up with greame to pick up my lowering kit and ended up using one of the rear shocks to tap the starter lol

davidfox280585
17-12-12, 01:49 PM
as above,
the starter wires run,
main up onto bulkhead and on the scuttle under a cover to the battery,

trigger wire from ignition runs on the osf above the brake servo 2 wires in a plug, the other wire is the oil light,
check a 12v feed when cranking on this wire to eliminate anything else this is the easiest check as its easily accessible,
if there is 12v then its starter motor

bazil
17-12-12, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies,
@DF you certainly know your combos lol that's a hell of a lot easier than wriggling about underneath the bloody thing :-)

turned out to be a sticky solenoid and seems to be working okay now. I think I might get a spare starter and replace it if it fcuks up again.

On a side note, the starter is well hidden on these things, not very accessible from the top side of the engine at all !

chrisd1986
17-12-12, 02:51 PM
Nope they are dossed, somtimes it takes old skool diagnosis to solve the problem

davidfox280585
17-12-12, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the replies,
@DF you certainly know your combos lol that's a hell of a lot easier than wriggling about underneath the bloody thing :-)

sadly yes i know and the starters are different to the earlier isuzus too so will be astra/combo only
yes the starter system is seperate to it all though

vx kev
17-12-12, 06:51 PM
EDITED! Was going to say starter solenoid as we had this recently with an astravan but seen youve already arrived at that conclusion lol

MattBrown
18-12-12, 11:34 AM
Have fun changing the starter, its a pain in the ****.

Theres also 2 types of solenoid, blade and ring.

Sods law you will get the wrong one lol

bazil
04-01-13, 09:28 PM
Well fitted the new starter today, not that bad a job to be honest,

Pull out RH driveshaft, remove wires, remove bolts, remove oil return pipe, wiggle starter out then fitting is reverse to removal,

Granted its tight as fook but not too bad :)

Mike
04-01-13, 10:03 PM
Does it start now then?

If its the fuel EDU it will just randomly cut out for no reason at all, then give it ten minutes an itll start again like nothings happened. When mine died I was doing 90 on the M5 in the middle of the night, cut out and felt like it hit a brick wall lol

Fuel EDU;s are an easy fix anyway.

bazil
04-01-13, 10:04 PM
I thought it may have been the EDU mike but it's working fine now :)

Mike
04-01-13, 10:06 PM
I thought it may have been the EDU mike but it's working fine now :)

Oh cool.

If your EDU ever does fail (and I garantee, at some point it will!) theres a company that advertise on eBay from North Wales, send them your EDU, they repair & send back within 2 days for £50.

Removes via x4 M6 allen bolts & one connector plug.

bazil
04-01-13, 10:18 PM
Sounds ideal, I have seen a few threads about faulty EDU's so I know the signs to look out for now, cheers mate :)