PDA

View Full Version : Ignition set up for carbs

16v Nova Kev
15-12-12, 06:38 PM
Right I'm going to be running bike carbs on a gte engine. So what's the best way sort out the ignition side of things. I have a mk2 cav type dizzy but it would need sent to hnh or was thinking about mega jolt and a coil pack set up????
Ideas please

meritlover
15-12-12, 08:41 PM
hello. i would like to say the best option is to go down the programingable ign route. im not talking cheapo 2d either. Get a TPS on those carbs and run 3D for biggest smile to pound ratio. coil packs are very nice but can be messy and un necessary. i dont like to be scared, but without knowing your engine spec, it is unlikely you are so highly tuned that you would require such a large advance that crossfire would become an issue on a traditional dustributor. so please save money for beers and mapping sessions and retain the standard ignitor unit (or borrow one from injection engine) and retain the distributor but lock at a suitable angle to perform rotor button alignment so as to gain max advance possible without scaredness of cross firing. but if you do this the base timing may be affected if you are using the distributer as a trigger. i would fit a crank wheel and sensor/pick-up from inj vauxhall (50-2) and use this for crank position and trigger. at least this way you will be better placed in future to upgrade to TB injection.

I trust this answers your questions and raises more. Thank you and lots of love.xxx

Will F
15-12-12, 08:48 PM
If its a relatively std set up a dizzy set up will be fine. Get an h and h loom and you can use the dizzy you have and an xe amplifier. Job done.

16v Nova Kev
15-12-12, 08:52 PM
Just the carbs and a bit of head work. Cheers chaps

16v Nova Kev
15-12-12, 08:53 PM
hello. i would like to say the best option is to go down the programingable ign route. im not talking cheapo 2d either. Get a TPS on those carbs and run 3D for biggest smile to pound ratio. coil packs are very nice but can be messy and un necessary. i dont like to be scared, but without knowing your engine spec, it is unlikely you are so highly tuned that you would require such a large advance that crossfire would become an issue on a traditional dustributor. so please save money for beers and mapping sessions and retain the standard ignitor unit (or borrow one from injection engine) and retain the distributor but lock at a suitable angle to perform rotor button alignment so as to gain max advance possible without scaredness of cross firing. but if you do this the base timing may be affected if you are using the distributer as a trigger. i would fit a crank wheel and sensor/pick-up from inj vauxhall (50-2) and use this for crank position and trigger. at least this way you will be better placed in future to upgrade to TB injection.

I trust this answers your questions and raises more. Thank you and lots of love.xxx

I love you too. Merry x mass

meritlover
15-12-12, 08:57 PM
using a mechanical adv/retard ign is a flawed and foolish suggestion to a man who cearly loves his car enough to consider ign of the programmingable variety.
By all means use a distributor. but please do not use its primative mechanisms for controlling the timings and occurance of your sparkings.

please look deep into your heart to make the correct decision.

16v Nova Kev
15-12-12, 09:00 PM
Look deep into my wallet more like ha ha. I would spend a few hundered on a good set up

meritlover
15-12-12, 09:09 PM
if you can get a cheap megajism ecu you can use parts bin parts for the rest. you will have great success and glory of your machine if you spend the rest on mapping and jetting. the secret to making a cheapness engine is to be a prepared. arrive at your roalling road technician with a packet of closely selected jets and an ign system free of woe that is ready to be programmed. this alone will save you hundreds of your earth pounds in dyno time which justifies the expense of buying an ign ECU. a clockwork distributor and random pair of carbs is a stab in the dark and an all round comprimise in performance and reliability.

"the thrill of a cheap price is quickly over shadowed by the bitterness of poor quality"

please remember my words and they will always be with you.

tom reid
15-12-12, 09:48 PM
Go with the MegaJolt, you won't be disappointed, the engine will be silky smooth, have better power, throttle response and fuel economy.

16v Nova Kev
15-12-12, 09:57 PM
This one.
http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/d34.html

meritlover
15-12-12, 09:57 PM
i agree with Mr tom reid. he has come up with a great idea!

meritlover
15-12-12, 10:00 PM
This one.

that kit is inferior, lacks the resolution of a std vaux wheel and is too expensive. a simple second hand emerald with inj and ign at that price would be better value and offer more flexibility.

16v Nova Kev
15-12-12, 10:03 PM
This is looking like an expansive little engine

meritlover
15-12-12, 10:06 PM
This is looking like an expansive little engine

expansive is a lot cheaper than expensive.

16v Nova Kev
15-12-12, 10:09 PM
iPhone fail. That's what I meant:cheers:

tom reid
15-12-12, 10:16 PM
This one.

That kit is fine, although the wiring loom is just a collection of wires, no connectors or pins.
It's a bit more expensive than a H+H dizzy, but far more controlable

meritlover
15-12-12, 10:19 PM
it is not fine. it simply contains a selection of parts which require the same amount (or more) fabrication than individual and correct components sourced separately. you are simply paying a premium for it arriving in one box.

xxx

meritlover
15-12-12, 10:30 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?194857-Mbe-912v-ignition-only

this lacks the expense of a megajism and at more thn half the price of the triggerwheels offerings

Stuart
15-12-12, 10:39 PM
Mega jolt is dire, its still using the Edith system as a bodge. Despite megasquirt not being perfect, atleast you can run it pure for ignition and then should you so desire you can fit a proper air fuel delivery system in future by the means of tb's

meritlover
15-12-12, 10:50 PM
sturat is right. EDIS is clever but dated and clumsey when married to the megajism. certain versions of the megasquirt can operate ignitors directly but be careful like a hawk. fuel and ign ecus have dropped so much in price that we can all enjoy them for better value that ign alone.

MattBrown
18-12-12, 11:42 AM
Surely by GTE engine you mean 1600?

If so you want the nova 1400sr ignition system, not the cav 1600 one as it doesnt fit??

16v Nova Kev
18-12-12, 01:16 PM
Aye 1600 I wasn't sure about it. That's cool it's sellable

tom reid
19-12-12, 11:13 AM
Stuart, you may be right in as much as the MJ system is not as sophisticated as others you may know of, but to me it's the bees knees, meaning that iv'e wanted to have access to a programmable ignition for the past 20 years, but couldn't afford the ones that were available. It's far better than a dizzy, and cheaper than any other new system about, if I was more clued up as to how this stuff worked, i might agree with you.
I go with Clarkson on this, ' you fit this electrojiggerypokerystuff, magic happens, and the engine fires up'lol

Stuart
19-12-12, 04:58 PM
megasquirt or even microsquirt is about 3 pints more expensive than the megajolt setup, and light years ahead of it (although still in the dark ages of tech)

davidfox280585
23-12-12, 01:12 PM
heard a few people just retaining the std ecu to control the ignition timing on 205 gtis and 106 gtis, adding bikecarbs to the mix and proved a cheap alternative to aftermarket management,
ive even drove the 205 19gti and what a difference

gte-87
23-12-12, 02:27 PM
I have got bike carbs on my gte and I am using h and h ignition set up works spot on

mowgli
23-12-12, 02:58 PM
you could actually leave the gte ign setup in place, using the controller box on the bulkhead, as it runs completely independantly of the ecu, which is on the afm. they only share a trigger signal from the dizzy.

i'm not saying it will be perfect, but it will be good enough to get it running in the short term, as it was specced for the stock engine, it should be not far off what is needed to make it work

16v Nova Kev
23-12-12, 03:54 PM
Pity I sold all the engine loom and inj gubins.

GGs GTE
11-01-13, 08:55 PM
Did you sorce the r1 carbs out for it kev if so what did you go for im in the prosess of doing the same but im a bit confused on what im to go for on the c2xe set up dizzy or mega jolt

16v Nova Kev
11-01-13, 08:57 PM
Not bought anything yet. I will just need to see what I can afford when the engine is ready