PDA

View Full Version : track days & standard steering racks

turbojolt
12-12-12, 08:50 PM
not looking for just change it comments, as its all to easy to make people spend there own money on something unneeded :roll:

has anyone on here used a std steering rack when doing track days, how did you find it?

its been so long since Ive driven the car i cant remember what the steering was even like tbh :cry:

cheers

marc69
12-12-12, 08:55 PM
My steering rack is standard but, the car is only a 1400. Suspension set up and light engine...sharp steering, i would say it's sharper than my real mini cooper.

Stuart
12-12-12, 08:57 PM
You won't notice if its good or bad. Just drive the ****ing thing.

Andy
12-12-12, 08:59 PM
Why not build the thing then make the changes to suit your style and ability,otherwise you wont know whats good or bad

turbojolt
12-12-12, 09:07 PM
Why not build the thing then make the changes to suit your style and ability,otherwise you wont know whats good or bad

thats what im planning on doing mate, just wondering how people found them compared to quick racks and corsa racks really

pottersrebel
12-12-12, 09:10 PM
You won't notice if its good or bad. Just drive the ****ing thing. agreed until you get track time you wont notice any changes you could blow your cash on, get it out there standard then change things as you go, it took me half a season to get used to my new stockcar and thats before i started to change things.when you feel confident your pushing the car to the max it will take then you start to tweak it

Mieran
12-12-12, 09:27 PM
on a nova the less turn to turn the better imo

Stuart
12-12-12, 09:58 PM
Worst case, try this http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 7115_langId_-1_categoryId_165479

turbojolt
12-12-12, 10:06 PM
fooking hell they still sell them

mowgli
13-12-12, 05:50 AM
stu, there will already be a knob on the steering wheel....lol

if you can get one cheap, like i did, get the corsa b epas rack. swap the rods over & you have quick rack.. if its too hard to steer, get an epas column.

Stuart
13-12-12, 07:45 AM
And I won't be hard to steer. Dans car has a quick rack with ten feet wide tyres and a proper tight plate diff, and that's a pussy cat to steer with no assistance.

8valve-craig
13-12-12, 08:19 AM
As stated drive it first, then decide what needs changing.

Im personally changing mine for next year, as theres a little too much lock to lock, But i didnt even really consider it until somoene pointed it out in a video, so cant be that bad.

mowgli
13-12-12, 08:23 AM
the thing is that tj's engine is still out of the car & its way easier to fit a rack now than when its fitted.

Edd
13-12-12, 09:12 AM
Changing a rack with the engine in or out makes no difference

A easy job

therealnovaboy
13-12-12, 11:03 AM
Changing a rack with the engine in or out makes no difference

A easy job

There is one nut thats a PITA. Unless you have a ratchet spanner.

skud52
13-12-12, 11:56 AM
There is one nut thats a PITA. Unless you have a ratchet spanner.

The one above the diff housing!! I had standard rack and gsi wherl and find it very clumsy and time consuming on track. Hence why i have fitted a quaife quick rack and epas column. Gunna sort a smaller wherl out once i have bought my lsd too.

For £100 you may aswell fit the quick rack now. The car will feel so much better for it.

Graeme
13-12-12, 12:32 PM
I have a quaife quick rack on mine and love it, a oner well spent imo but as mike said get one out of a epas corsa b and change the rack ends for nova ones, probably only cost fifty quid all in with new rack ends

Mieran
13-12-12, 12:36 PM
You need to change the track rods/arms too if youre using a corsa rack

mowgli
13-12-12, 12:37 PM
iirc i got the rack for under a tenner off the bay. my car has only done 17000 miles, & the rod ends are fine... thus.. bargain.. ok, i had to wait a few weeks for one to turn up, but i have lots of patience & not much coin

mk1nova_rich
13-12-12, 02:27 PM
Personally a quick rack would be high up on my list...absolutely transforms the car

PS...EPAS is for gays

Mieran
13-12-12, 02:35 PM
I agree EPS is gay but I'm looking into it at the moment lol

On the track its much much easier to correct car when it goes wrong with power steering

Stuart
13-12-12, 02:55 PM
I agree EPS is gay but I'm looking into it at the moment lol

On the track its much much easier to correct car when it goes wrong with power steering

Only if you are physically unable to turn the wheel, it wont make the act of changing the direction any faster than unpowered.

Mieran
13-12-12, 03:08 PM
Trying to do opposite lock to lock to save the car can be very hard without power steering

mowgli
13-12-12, 06:10 PM
if you need opposite lock to save it, you'll manage it.....you should try steering a daf wagon when its pas pump has failed...... 7" tyres & an xe are nowt compared to that

paul james
13-12-12, 06:34 PM
I never know why people think its necessary to put power steering in a Nova. As long as I'm going over about 5 mph I can steer mine with one finger, and I'm not running skinny 13's. Power Steering does more harm than good when it stuffs up, its not a welcome surprise when a car cuts out or somesuch and you find the steering suddenly really heavy and hard to turn.

peester
13-12-12, 07:46 PM
I think its more if you have grippy tyres, EPS gives some advantage over non. I always wondered if living with a quick rack is quite a pain on public roads; parking etc..?

marc69
13-12-12, 08:24 PM
I hate driving cars with power steering, it is vague at best, you can't feel the road and the pull. Do what BMC did....fit big steering wheels!!!!

monks69
14-12-12, 06:34 PM
mine was sh*te 4 turns lock to lock, was like driving a buss!

Mazz
15-12-12, 09:48 PM
tbh TJ, I really didn't have an issue with the my standard steering rack on track, it seemed fine. Granted I've only done Oulton Park, but unless the tracks are really, really tight then you'll be fine imo..