PDA

View Full Version : Powder coated petrol tanks

vx kev
12-12-12, 07:01 PM
Who's had a tank powder coated, and was it an old or new tank?
I'd always have a worry that the blasting process would destroy an older tank.
Whats everyones opinions on this???

AndrewJenkins
12-12-12, 07:06 PM
ive been thinking the same thing and only thing ive been thinking about with a old tank is if they will actually do it as of risk with fuel vapours would like to know if people have had this done

vx kev
12-12-12, 07:12 PM
ive been thinking the same thing and only thing ive been thinking about with a old tank is if they will actually do it as of risk with fuel vapours would like to know if people have had this done

Yeh obviously the best way to go about it is with a new tank. But as long as the old tank was dry & clean then i cant see there being a problem, my main issue is i dont know much about the blasting process so how would an older tank fair?
DAFTJOHN had one done, looks great!

16v Nova Kev
12-12-12, 07:47 PM
I will text my mate and ask him. He owns a place called chameleon

vx kev
12-12-12, 08:08 PM

Cheers Kev. :thumb:

Ive got fuel tanks there that i would like to use rather than buy a new 1.

DAFTJOHN
12-12-12, 08:18 PM
Think it would be on a case by case test. They said they would blast mine and if it perished it would be binned. Turned out it was okay.

DAFTJOHN
12-12-12, 08:20 PM

That's where mine were done.

16v Nova Kev
12-12-12, 08:32 PM
Lol oh well. I just texted him cos I got a load of bits to do

DAFTJOHN
12-12-12, 09:04 PM
Done a good job on all my bits.

novacabrio
12-12-12, 09:37 PM
I had one done for the Sport, had an old tank blasted and it started to leak at the seem, then had a new one coated and it was fine, depending on what tank your using you can pick them up cheap enough new

vx kev
13-12-12, 06:29 PM
Its a GTE/GSI tank im using, had a look for some new ones but nowhere ive checked has any. Even imperial panels are out of stock, the likely hood of them getting more in would be slim i'd reckon. :(

brucer
13-12-12, 08:30 PM
had my gte one done, didnt realise i had a problem untill i put it on a tilt bed trailer, was seeping out through the top side/seem. tank was ok before the blasting, wish i hadnt had it done but how else would you find out.

bought a new one for like 80/90quid and rattle canned it to save some money.

novacabrio
13-12-12, 09:58 PM
Let me know if you decide to go down the new tank route I know who has some in stock

Benn
14-12-12, 10:25 AM
Iirc as long as it's bare metal, it doesn't need to be blasted.

vx kev
14-12-12, 06:43 PM
Iirc as long as it's bare metal, it doesn't need to be blasted.

Yeh i think your right with that Benn, i looked at the tanks ive got sitting and one doesnt look that old. Still pretty shiney on the upper side, so gonna give it a wire wheel and hopefully it comes up good enough to coat!

vx kev
14-12-12, 06:45 PM
Let me know if you decide to go down the new tank route I know who has some in stock

Who Who Who? :d