PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall nova heater

Cockerill1234eric
11-12-12, 10:06 PM
Hi my nova 1998 the heater only blows out Luke warm air the hot and cold nob I'm sure doesn't work cause you can put it on cold and still only warm air also my tempreture have is only a quarter of the way up I put my finger in the anti freeze tank and I was stone cold even knowing the engine is hot the top pipe on the radiator is warm a d the bottom is cold also when I bourt the car it had been stood for quite some time rely don't no why it doesn't get hot any advice would be greatfull

conza123
11-12-12, 10:14 PM
i think you where ment to say 1988 and i would check to see if you have a thermostat because it sounds like its been removed

AndrewJenkins
12-12-12, 07:31 AM
that or the heater cables come off does it feel like theres any resistance on the knob? and check under the passenger side dash the see if its moving the cable

Iain
12-12-12, 09:34 AM
Heater blower cables won't affect the engine's coolant circulation like he's described.

Flush the system out, make sure there's no air locks and that the waterpump and thermostat are working properly.

Cockerill1234eric
12-12-12, 12:36 PM
Cool thanks guys much appreciated will try the sodgested things at the weekend it's a 1992 sorry typing error where will the thermostat be and also it the temperature gage normal at a quarter the way up

Cockerill1234eric
12-12-12, 12:40 PM
Cool thanks guys much appreciated will try the sodgested things at the weekend it's a 1992 sorry typing error where will the thermostat be and also it the temperature gage normal at a quarter the way up also when I turn the heater mob it just turns like nothing there only slightly stiff where maybe ribbon on the plastic it holds on to

conza123
12-12-12, 05:14 PM
My sr sits at a qauter and fans kicks in at half. The thremostat should be in the head where the top rad hose goes on. When your car is up to temp are both the hoses that go to the heater matrix hot. As when i just put my new rad in i had an airlock in the heater rad so my heater was cold

Cockerill1234eric
12-12-12, 05:28 PM
the top hose is hot and the bottom is cold how would you get rid of a air lock also i dont no when the anti freeze was changed baering in mind the car was stood for a few years

AndrewJenkins
12-12-12, 07:04 PM
Heater blower cables won't affect the engine's coolant circulation like he's described.

Flush the system out, make sure there's no air locks and that the waterpump and thermostat are working properly.

my bad read it half asleep lol

andyredtop83
12-12-12, 08:01 PM
Would be worth flushing the coolant out and adding new antifreeze/water what with the cold weather.

conza123
12-12-12, 08:07 PM
i would drop the antifreeze out and put fresh in, when i did mine i started it with the bottle cap off and just let it run up to temp naturaly till fan cut in(keep checking temp gauge as my fan switch wernt working and it nearly went in to the red.
after fan cut in just check all the pipes to make sure hot.
when i did mine i just held it a 3,000 rpm for couple of seconds and it pushed the air lock out

EwanG
12-12-12, 09:48 PM
i would drop the antifreeze out and put fresh in, when i did mine i started it with the bottle cap off and just let it run up to temp naturaly till fan cut in(keep checking temp gauge as my fan switch wernt working and it nearly went in to the red.
after fan cut in just check all the pipes to make sure hot.
when i did mine i just held it a 3,000 rpm for couple of seconds and it pushed the air lock out
You can also squeeze the large hoses to push the air out.