PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Position Sensor

bad_boy_nova
15-08-03, 10:57 AM
Will a throttle position sensor from a Nova GSi engine fit a Nova GTE, and vice versa?

Dicko
15-08-03, 11:55 AM
as long as the GSi uses the BOSCH ecu and airbox yes!!!

the plug is different on the later models and the unit is incompatible!!

bad_boy_nova
15-08-03, 11:57 AM
Cheers dicko

NovaNeil
15-08-03, 12:14 PM
Did anyone know that it isnt actually a throttle position sensor, its called one but its actually just a switch that tells the ecu whens its at full throttle. It doesn't vary voltage at different throttle positions like a proper throttle position sensor does. I found this out the hard way when I tried to use it with my DTA ECU, and it didn't work.

Dicko
15-08-03, 12:24 PM
thats not exactly true either neil

but yes its not a proper position sensor. simple has a few points at which it sends a signal to the ecu. such as throttle closed, part open, fully open. a pos sensor for dta needs aprox 100-200 points!

novax
16-08-03, 09:10 AM
Not to be nit-picking but neither of you are totally right. The early throttle position switch has only 2 positions.

1 engine at idle. Used to detect overrun during decelleration and this cuts off fuel. Then when idle RPM is reached it is used to request fuel enrichment to maintain a smooth idle.

2 full throttle. In this position the ECU goes into open loop. This means a preprogrammed fueling map is used and if you have a lambda sensor it is ignored.

At any throttle position between idle and full throttle the ECU relys on engine load from the AFM and RPM of the crank. This map is then modified be the engine temperature. All the other sensors are there for fine tuning of the 3D maps only.

Check out www.vaux-md.net/injection/injec-intro.htm for a full breakdown of all the Jetronic and Motronic systems.

NovaNeil
16-08-03, 10:12 AM
Cheers Nova AX. I knew it only had two positions but I wasn't sure what they actually did.
I thought it was a bit Misleading calling it a Potentiometer and not just a throttle switch.
Nevermind thats Vauxhall for you.