PDA

View Full Version : Astra mk4 gsi turbo

simonm
09-12-12, 07:49 PM
Hi all just wondering what's my best moves and looking for other opinions I've had me gsi turbo a few months now love the car turbo is getting a little smokey so a vxr unit will be on the cards soon so really just wondering what's the first and best moves to make for some more horses dont want to go mad just free it up a little have an Evo 5 and a bike for real hooliganism also its my every day car and it's totally standard

L14MNP
09-12-12, 09:01 PM
Ask Santa for some punctuation before worrying about the car.

Typing one long paragraph like that is stupid.

Andy
09-12-12, 09:06 PM
this is one of the best moves imo
http://itsrockingwrestling.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/stonecoldstunner2528332529.jpg

staggy_gsi
09-12-12, 09:09 PM

We can't all be ace at English....

Get rid of the crossover pipe and fit a 1.9cdti airbox, depends how far you wanna go but the XEV inlet cam with a vernier pulley is a decent mod for not a lot of cash. Also ditch the pre-cat completely, and fit either a sports cat or ditch the main cat too. A session on the rollers with these mods and a vxr turbo should see 250-270ish....

When you get the new turbo, its worth fitting an oil restrictor bolt too as this is the main cause of turbo failure

simonm
09-12-12, 09:29 PM

Sorry my passion is cars and making them move a little quicker not where I should or shouldn't put a full stop so please keep your smart **** comments to your self thanks .

simonm
09-12-12, 09:36 PM
We can't all be ace at English....

Get rid of the crossover pipe and fit a 1.9cdti airbox, depends how far you wanna go but the XEV inlet cam with a vernier pulley is a decent mod for not a lot of cash. Also ditch the pre-cat completely, and fit either a sports cat or ditch the main cat too. A session on the rollers with these mods and a vxr turbo should see 250-270ish....

When you get the new turbo, its worth fitting an oil restrictor bolt too as this is the main cause of turbo failure

Thanks for your useful input that's all I wanted to no some simple mods that will work and not cost the earth. Ill start with the sir box local breakers have a few Vectras. Will I need a modified intake pipe or will the Vectra one work

Mieran
09-12-12, 09:52 PM
FMIC kit
Remove precat and cat
fit vxr turbo

Maybe phase 1 or 2 remap

staggy_gsi
09-12-12, 09:59 PM
You will need a different pipe yeah. Not sure whether the vectra one will fit, i think the one on mine is from a corsa 1.8 sri but mines got a cone filter on so i dont know whether it would meet up with the cdti airbox...

paul080803
09-12-12, 10:14 PM
Tbh cdti box on its own is not gonna get you anything.

You can run xev inlet can on standard pulley one tooth back but that is not optimum, half tooth is best so vernier is ideal.

Vxr turbo, fmic, decat will see 270-280.

All depends on budget and how reliable/drivable you want it.

My mk4 gsi turbo was 327bhp on standard box/diff and a mates at 280 was a better drive and as quick in normal conditions.

Edd
09-12-12, 10:19 PM
I would be checking that the smoke ain't the stem seals as well

simonm
09-12-12, 10:27 PM
I've been told the cat really frees up some power when removed only I'm the only person around where I live with one of these so any info is much apreciated as I don't have any others to copy or work off

And don't want to waste money on pointless mods I'll go with the tried and tested

simonm
09-12-12, 10:32 PM
I would be checking that the smoke ain't the stem seals as well

Id recon the stem seals are ok it only smokes a little if left ticking over for a few minutes then a puff of blue smoke but never and while driving accelerating or decelerating it's fine only on tick over which I believe is common on these when they hit about 90k

Connor
09-12-12, 11:00 PM
Seen quite a few that are the stem seals on the z20lets, easy as piss to do though.

Leeboo
09-12-12, 11:35 PM
Stem seals and standard turbos are really the only two 'common' problems with these cars aren't they?

Think they're really well styled and nice interior.

Edd
09-12-12, 11:48 PM
Nope lol

Afm
Boost solenoids
Alarm unit
Moist getting into ecu that's in the bay

To name a few

paul080803
10-12-12, 12:10 AM
Id recon the stem seals are ok it only smokes a little if left ticking over for a few minutes then a puff of blue smoke but never and while driving accelerating or decelerating it's fine only on tick over which I believe is common on these when they hit about 90k

That is most likely stem seals on a zlet

simonm
10-12-12, 08:57 AM
Is it ill get a look in To that first then no point putting on a new turbo if not needed but am a little doubtful as theres no smoke while driving at all smoke after decelerating is usually stem seals but there isn't any

paul080803
10-12-12, 11:42 AM
How much oil, if any, do you have in the intercooler/pipework?

Mieran
10-12-12, 12:37 PM
I would say its the turbo not seals

simonm
10-12-12, 01:40 PM
Haven't pulled any pipes off yet but throw 1 ltr in every month or so I'll pull off some this evening and take a look

vx kev
10-12-12, 07:00 PM
I've been told the cat really frees up some power when removed only I'm the only person around where I live with one of these so any info is much apreciated as I don't have any others to copy or work off

And don't want to waste money on pointless mods I'll go with the tried and tested

I had an SRI Turbo not that long ago that i replaced both Cats with Miltek items, the difference it made on mine was quite considerable and the noise it made was even better. Thats where i would start along with a Front Mount.

simonm
10-12-12, 09:40 PM
That's where I was thinking of starting it's not really a problem around here running no cat only when it comes to test time can just refit but maybe an xev cam if that helps thought that only worked on the c20let but if not it's worth a try front mount next then better start looking

staggy_gsi
10-12-12, 11:12 PM
If its smoking on idle its deffo the stem seals mate. If the turbo was knackered it would smoke like hell on boost, mine did hence why mine now has a vxr turbo.
But mine needs stem seals now too, so im doing that next week, after its been back on the rollers on saturday

simonm
10-12-12, 11:25 PM
I'll check it out it'll more than likely need a new turbo but if it needs stem seals I'll throw in a set maybe stick a cam in to while in there

Mieran
10-12-12, 11:35 PM
If its smoking on idle its deffo the stem seals mate. If the turbo was knackered it would smoke like hell on boost, mine did hence why mine now has a vxr turbo.
But mine needs stem seals now too, so im doing that next week, after its been back on the rollers on saturday
Not necessary true, on my last zlet if you let it idle long enough you couldn't see any houses in the street it was that bad but no smoke whatsoever when its moving or boosting, and was boosting fine too!

Same thing happened on 2 of my turbos

vx kev
11-12-12, 07:16 PM
Not necessary true, on my last zlet if you let it idle long enough you couldn't see any houses in the street it was that bad but no smoke whatsoever when its moving or boosting, and was boosting fine too!

Same thing happened on 2 of my turbos

Yeh mines was the same, just a turbo swap solved it!

staggy_gsi
11-12-12, 11:51 PM
I stand corrected, i was just going from personal experience. Mine was smoking like mad on boost so chucked a new turbo on, still smoked a little on hot idle but 2 months down the line its really quite bad now. For example when stood at the lights for 3 mins if the engine is hot, when i pull away i cant see the car behind.

vx kev
12-12-12, 06:36 PM
Oil in the boost pipes tends to be turbo seals, smokey but no oil in the pipes i'd go for stem seals. Also if its stem seals in these you would get a puff off smoke on start up. Plenty things to look out for though!

simonm
12-12-12, 07:59 PM
Seems a good bit of oil in the turbo pipes but never any smoke on start up it's only after it's been idling for a couple of minutes never a puff otherwise but either way a new turbo is on the cards mainly the bolt on easy mods and if any body has any bits give me a shout on it maybe a front mount kit decat