PDA

View Full Version : fan not cutting in

conza123
05-12-12, 06:46 PM
if anyone as seen my projects forum i have just stuck a new rad and expantion bottle on my 1.3sr.

i was running it up for the 1st time today with cap off till all hoses hot then waited for fan to come so no air in system and it didn't so i switched it off before it got into red.

I alredy checked fan and fan switch in rad are pluged in

it was to hot to check anything today but tomorrow im going to try and find the problem.

i gonna bridge the rad switch to see if the fan starts on start up.
and check the fuse in the fuse box.

so i was wondering if there was anything else to check. +rep will be given to sensible answers

mowgli
05-12-12, 06:57 PM
no need for extra sensible answers.

bridging the switch is the best way to test the fan operation, the switches do fail, but if you are running up a car with the rad cap off, it simply won't get hot enough to turn the switch on.

the cooling system runs under pressure, so it can actually get to the normal boiling point of water (100deg C) but it won't boil. the fan switch will be set at a safe figure around that.. so you need to tighten the cap, and leave it till it gets proper hot before the switch works.

the dash gauge runs from about 80-110deg C

conza123
05-12-12, 07:00 PM
no need for extra sensible answers.

bridging the switch is the best way to test the fan operation, the switches do fail, but if you are running up a car with the rad cap off, it simply won't get hot enough to turn the switch on.

the cooling system runs under pressure, so it can actually get above the normal boiling point of water (100deg C) but it won't boil. the fan switch will be set at a safe figure above that.. so you need to tighten the cap, and leave it till it gets proper hot before the switch works.

the dash gauge runs from about 80-120deg C

sorry i forgot to add a put the cap on then the temp raised.

i only had it off to expell all the air out of system till all hoses where hot and heater was coming out hot.

then heater off cap on and hold it at 2000rpm to get the fan to cut but it didnt

mowgli
05-12-12, 07:02 PM
most likely the switch.

conza123
05-12-12, 07:03 PM
most likely the switch.

ok thank you would give you rep but it wont let as given it to you recently

chris862
05-12-12, 09:23 PM
Mine stopped cutting in too! to test the fan switch the ignition on and bridge the two wires to the switch the fan should spin, I only put a new rad on a few months ago and didnt want to drain it for the switch, so I just wired up a toggle switch into the car so I can switch it on when I need it :thumb:

conza123
06-12-12, 05:35 PM
Fixed it today it was the temp sensor in rad. so i borought a new one for a fiver
now fitted and the rad comes in out out very happyly