PDA

View Full Version : polishing after respray? help ASAP

mark_GSi
13-08-03, 05:58 PM
my m8 just reparayed my car, looks good but needs a good polish, paint is bit rough, been primed, painted and lacured.

would using G3 or similar compund cutter and then a polish do the trick??

just done a small bit on the bonnet and it feels SO MUCH better than the rest of it.

just wanna make sure that G3 would be ok 2 do the whole car.

BadBoyNeil
13-08-03, 06:18 PM
My mate used G3 to cut all his paintwork. He then gave it a really deep, hard polish and his bodywork came up sparkling. Don't rub on the G3 too hard though. It can result in many tears. And only do a small area at a time as the sun can bake the compunds on like rock which is a right bastard.

mark_GSi
13-08-03, 06:23 PM
ok thanks, ill leave it till late afternoon, cools down a bit

thanks

Euan
13-08-03, 07:29 PM
is g3 a stronger version of t-cut?

mark_GSi
13-08-03, 08:52 PM
yea, has iccle bits in, good stuff if ur paint is really dull and bit rough

?Marty?
14-08-03, 01:14 AM
yea, has iccle bits in, good stuff if ur paint is really dull and bit rough

so not what it should be like after a re-spray then. Hope it was a freebie.

ade
14-08-03, 10:43 AM
what paint was used? If 2pak should be ok to buff up within 48 hours )longer left harder it is). If celly I'd leave for 7 days - or leave it in the sun to bake out.

But dont polish till panels cooled.

Also take it easy with the polishing mop - watch the edges (mask them off and do by hand) and watch corners (bonnet etc)

providing the paint layer went down ok the lacquer will buff up well. if theres a fault in th paint payer and you sprayed over with lacquer you'll need to hope the lacquer doesnt excentuate it.

some flat the paint layer 1st using 1500 wet n dry (wert) to get level then lacquer wuich smooths it out...

Ade

novax
15-08-03, 05:04 PM
When we did "X" last winter we used proper water based basecoat and dupont clearcoat on top. When it came out the oven I asked this question and was told to cut it and polish it tomorrow if i liked. That was my local Vauxhall dealer and they know what they're doing. I understand if you find that hard to believe, LOL.

mark_GSi
16-08-03, 09:31 AM
if done the bonnet (2 hot 2 do enthing else) and that has cum up top

dan_mk1
18-08-03, 04:48 PM
That was my local Vauxhall dealer and they know what they're doing.

u sure!? :? :lol: