PDA

View Full Version : X16XE/L Cam belt/head gasket differences

jeremy fisher
28-11-12, 06:41 PM
I'm trying to buy some rebuild parts for my 1600 16v and am having some trouble identifying exactly what I need. I am using a X16XE bottom end with the later X16XEL head (triangle inlet ports).
I have been told that there are three cam belt types for these engines, 169 teeth x 20mm, 162 teeth x 20mm and 169 teeth x 24mm.
There are also two head gasket options, one is steel and one is composite.
When ever I have bought these parts in the past I've just asked for parts for a '97 Astra 1.6 16v and been fine but I'm now buying online instead of a motor factors and I was using older head to match the bottom end.
Anyone able to shed any light on this?
Thanks
Nick

mowgli
28-11-12, 06:50 PM
what belt do you have with the original engine? just count it up & measure it

the engine i have is an x16xe with an x16xel head..ok, i've not got it running yet cos of having my inlet manifold altered cos the std xe one won't clear the xel r/cover

buy the headset for the xel as the rocker covers are different, but the head gasket is the same..

as for steel & composite, i thought all modern head gaskets were a mixture of steel & composite.

jeremy fisher
29-11-12, 06:10 PM
I was a bit confused by the gasket myself. Couldn't find my old cam belt (think there's a lesson there somewhere!) but I've ordered everything but the head rebuild kit for a '97 Astra and the head kit for a post '98 Zafira. I think any cam belt will fit providing the idler pulleys are in the right place. I think the later engines have one mounted to the engine mount but use different mounts to the earlier engines... or something like that!
Thanks for the reply.
Nick