PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4, sat-nav app, any gen?

Spudly
23-11-12, 10:14 PM
As title kiddies, i have a five year old plus satnav, and although its never h'actually let me down, its having more and more hissy fits and throwing its toys out of the pram when it thinks im driving through fields and im actually on a shiney new road/motorway, so i thought no problem ill update it, got it out of the nova tonight, shoved some coal in the back and fired it up....

Went to the mio site and found an (old) new update, went to do its thing but it wont connect to my pooter as the drivers dont exist for it, did a spot of googlisation and found them, only to d/l a wonderfully horrid toolbar thing called 'mystart incredibar' (AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!)

So ive had enough and then thought why dont i just buy a satnav app as i know there are loads (there are) but i dont want one that will throw its toys at me when im off on my roadtrip next week and leave me stuck somewhere i know not what of lol

So has anyone any experience with an of them, and what can you reccomend peeps (and if anyone wants to say 'why dont you just buy a map' then dont bother replying, im looking at you here mowgli :p)

Cheers in advance boys and girls:thumb:

mowgli
23-11-12, 10:17 PM
spud, i have lots of time for satnavs that point out where speed cameras & other road hazards are placed... but a sound knowledge of the roads will save you a fortune in fuel... only today, the navman in my wagon advised me to make a left turn & it was only 84 miles to my destination. i turned right & it suddenly found i was 45 miles from the same place...

as for phone apps, my samsung on orange keeps crashing its mapping app, so i can't use it to tell you if its ok or not

Southie
23-11-12, 10:17 PM
Mate get Navigon, it's worth the money... Get a in car charger though when using the sat nav apps as they kill batteries fast, I have mine plugged into the headphone adapter on our headunit to get the sound through ;)

Spudly
23-11-12, 10:26 PM
I hoped you would be one of the ones to reply meester souf, i wont need headphone plugs though as my H/U is bluetooth capable so it will just pop over what im playing and use the stereo for my instructions anyways lol

I know sometimes they do tell you silly things mowgli, but when youre travelling alone and have no idea where youre going, theyre invaluable ive found, although you do notice and remember the journey more without the use of one, but the need to have one outweighs the need for the experience as i wont be going on long road trips very often!

Stuart
23-11-12, 10:36 PM
I lothe sat navs, but Navigon is one of the best.

Spudly
23-11-12, 10:38 PM
Fook me, its £55 feckin quid, for an app :eek:

lol

DAFTJOHN
23-11-12, 10:53 PM
I use sat nav2 think it was £2. I'm on the road a lot and it get me there all the time. Like Mowgli says some time it takes a wrong turn or directs you off at an earlier jct but on the whole it's fine.

burgo
23-11-12, 11:03 PM
U need an app on iphail? S3 has it built and used it a number of times imperfectly

blue_peg_16v
23-11-12, 11:12 PM
I use the nav free seems to do the job as much as I've needed anyway

raf24
23-11-12, 11:53 PM
For a free app nav free is quite good now,it used to be a bit ropey.

brainsnova
24-11-12, 01:55 AM
Jb it mate tomtom ftw unless its updated to the latest iOS

Plug
24-11-12, 02:03 AM
Tom Tom iPhone app is great what I use :-)

Jack
24-11-12, 12:06 PM
Google Navigation, free and works damned well

....just means you have to ditch the jesus phone though lol