PDA

View Full Version : c20xe mpg

Danio_MarshyMan
23-11-12, 09:43 PM
This has probably been posted plenty of times but I didn't find anything in the search...

What sort of mpg could I expect to get from c20xe engine?

Main use is on the motorway and at the moment I got the 1.4i and it a bit more thirsty then I thought it would be.. then someone mentioned about gettin a bigger engine as it would cruise easier and possibly save petrol (dunno how true that is?)

please help!

_Jake
23-11-12, 09:51 PM
depends what car its in (im guessing nova) and what nick the engines in. I get 37mpg out of my 2.0 vectra if i behave so i'd expect that if not more

Southie
23-11-12, 10:21 PM
Why do you ask?

If your fitting one all XE's are pretty thirsty due to the price of petrol.

Will F
23-11-12, 10:23 PM
Why do you ask?

If your fitting one all XE's are pretty thirsty due to the price of petrol.
The price of fuel doesn't affect how thirsty they are?You should get high thirties easily on a run.

Spudly
23-11-12, 10:31 PM
All depends on how you drive tbf, in theory with it being a bigger engine, it should require less effort to do 70mph steadily, than your 1.4 does, so it 'should' be way better on fuel, but this depends on lots of different variables..

Example, gearbox/ratio, wheel/tyre size, whether you happily sit in 4th gear with your foot to the floor and such, it should do decent economy on a long steady drive though:thumb:

Mieran
24-11-12, 12:28 AM
In a Nova, expect mid 40s+ cruising on the motorway

Danio_MarshyMan
24-11-12, 12:03 PM
It will be in a nova doin motorway journeys sitting at 70..

I do 35 miles to work and thought a smaller engine would be economical but my 1.4 proved me wrong..

turbojolt
24-11-12, 12:08 PM
sorry but installing a xe into your nova isnt going to pay for its self in fuel savings against conversion cost for years and years and years

in fact its almost as daft as putting solar panels on your roof your grandkids might benifit from it but you wont

Danio_MarshyMan
24-11-12, 12:20 PM
Yeah but if it does save on fuel then it means I get more money to myself each month which Im more fussed about.

turbojolt
24-11-12, 12:36 PM
also dont forget, no matter what people say its not a 2 day job so if the nova is your only car how will you get to work

paul james
24-11-12, 01:22 PM
Have you figured out what MPG your 1.4i is doing? It should be pretty good (my 1.2i was for sure) even if you plant your foot all the time. Is the engine well maintained and running ok? Does it have a 4 or 5 speed gearbox? changing to a 5 speed if you don't have one will benefit motorway driving, and will be a much easier job than installing a XE. As said above, you won't be saving money from a 2.0 transplant, especially if you do the job properly by seam welding the engine bay, uprating the brakes etc. it soon gets expensive.

Danio_MarshyMan
24-11-12, 01:49 PM
Its running fine and has a 5 speed box.. I haven't worked out the mpg but I know it ain't doin well..

what sort of price would I be lookin at to get an up and running engine then?

turbojolt
24-11-12, 01:58 PM
£300-to-450 quid engine and running gear
£50 brakes
£200 suspension
£? welding
£25+conversion mount
£? bigger wheels to suit bigger brakes & tyres
£? service parts including new fluids etc

the list goes on and on, im not saying dont do it, but if its just for better mpg its not worth it, buy a td car

paul james
24-11-12, 02:02 PM
Depends somewhat on the state of the car as it is now. If you already have uprated brakes and appropriate sized wheels, uprated suspension, then thats money you won't need to spend. You don't really want to put a heavier and much faster 2.0 engine into a Nova with standard brakes and soft suspension though. Would you even be doing this job yourself? if so do you have the equipment to do it - something people forget about working on cars is the cost of all the tools to do it. Getting someone else to do a 2.0 conversion for you is going to be a lot unless its a mate.

I can't see that a 2.0 is going to be more economical than a 1.4, unless you're really gutting the 1.4 all the time and have the will power not to do the same with a 2.0 and even then it will be a marginal difference.

If your doing a 35 mile trip to work, its going to cost you a lot in petrol regardless of what engine you have in it. If it matters that much then get something like a 106 diesel as a daily instead.

Danio_MarshyMan
24-11-12, 02:53 PM
Yeah I considered the diesel.. but id have to sell the nova and be able to get another car almost instantly..

id do the majority of the work myself anyway, if not I got mates who can help..

turbojolt
24-11-12, 03:27 PM
also the added cost of tax and insurasnce to factor in

paul james
24-11-12, 03:38 PM
If you can't afford a cheap diesel car, then how are you going to pay for a 2.0 engine and the bits you'll need? Fair enough if you want to put a 2.0 in for performance, but if all you want is economy then you'll be dissapointed. The cheapest option is to keep driving the car as it is, unless theres something wrong with it the MPG shouldn't be much worse than a 2.0 at motorway cruising speeds anyway.

chris862
24-11-12, 05:14 PM
Instead swap it for a smaller engine, my 1.2 4speed does nearly 50mpg regardless of how I drive lol

Danio_MarshyMan
24-11-12, 05:29 PM
I'm just considering options at the moment and weighing up options..

I was only goin on what I read somewhere else and just needed some closure.

BRoadGhost
24-11-12, 08:46 PM
Expect 6 mpg on the motorway, assuming a leak.

Lewis.
24-11-12, 08:58 PM
/\ most helpful post of the year award goes to... :roll:

why not work out what mpg your 1.4 is actually doing before taking any action? "not doing well" isn't a figure you can work with lol
also what engine exactly is this 1.4? C14SE? 14NV? I 1.4 injection should easily do 40mpg driven sensibly, they are only a puny 8v shopping car engine after all. if it's doing much less then something is probably wrong with it

madjim
24-11-12, 09:57 PM
Xe for economy lol

BRoadGhost
25-11-12, 11:27 AM
Well what are peeps expected to say? One stretch of motorway, be it a 10, 50 or 100 mile trip could be quite different to another due to things like elevation. Then there's how much the car weighs, what's the weather like, wheel & tyre size, gearbox & final drive, what condition the engine's in, what state of tune, driving it alone or with passengers; the list goes on.

Mine does about 30MPG on average when it can hit motorways.

Spudly
25-11-12, 11:35 AM
All depends on how you drive tbf, in theory with it being a bigger engine, it should require less effort to do 70mph steadily, than your 1.4 does, so it 'should' be way better on fuel, but this depends on lots of different variables..

Example, gearbox/ratio, wheel/tyre size, whether you happily sit in 4th gear with your foot to the floor and such, it should do decent economy on a long steady drive though:thumb:

Well what are peeps expected to say? One stretch of motorway, be it a 10, 50 or 100 mile trip could be quite different to another due to things like elevation. Then there's how much the car weighs, what's the weather like, wheel & tyre size, gearbox & final drive, what condition the engine's in, what state of tune, driving it alone or with passengers; the list goes on.

Mine does about 30MPG on average when it can hit motorways.

Already touched on that one above lol

Ive never worked out my mpg in my xe nova, no point, if it will do about 100 (ish) miles to quarter of a tank driving normally, then thats good enough for me, (my 1600 mk4 astra does between 80-90 miles to quarter of a tank driving steady)

If im on the m/way and my guage gets below half a tank, ill pull off and fill up, thats about all you need to know i reckon :thumb: