PDA

View Full Version : How to imobilise a 1.5 td nova?

B19_ewn
22-11-12, 12:31 PM
The car is fitted with an alarm and imobiliser but when bought it only came with one key. Just as an extra safety precaution is there any wire that you can put on a switch of some sort to stop it from starting? Idealy looking for something as a back up that will stop it from bein bump started aswell. Maybe a bit ott but as I work away from home I would rather have more then less. Cheers

Ewan

John
22-11-12, 12:33 PM
Battery cut off switch and take the key with you.

Southie
22-11-12, 12:35 PM
Some people also wire in a switch to cut off there fuel pump.

Jon_nova1
22-11-12, 04:53 PM
lol battery cut off

As Southie said and it's probably the best place, theres a wire that comes out of the fuel pump, the only other place is the starter, if you connected it to the glow plugs turning it over enough would get the engine running. When i did my 1.7TD conversion i did the fuel pump wire, atleast that way the starter would turn continously meaning theives would eventually bottle it making a noise or someone would hear

John
22-11-12, 05:44 PM
:confused: No one would even be able to crank if the battery is disconnected.

mowgli
22-11-12, 06:49 PM
yeah, but your clock stops & then the radio needs resetting..

rig a cutoff switch to the fuel pump wire.. you can get key switches from maplin for a couple of quid..

you could put a relay in the circuit to the starter solenoid then control that with a switch quite easily.

Balley
22-11-12, 08:30 PM
Not saying what I have done but maybe use a inline fuel valve to cut the fuel to the filter, would be easy to hide under the seat say. Then if you want put a switch in the stop solenoid wiring.

B19_ewn
22-11-12, 08:32 PM
Perfect guys. cheers very much will do the pump with a keyed switch and maybe the starter aswell if necessary.

mowgli
22-11-12, 08:43 PM
re the inline fuel switch....

a good few years ago, i had an astra mk2 1600d estate... i drove off to work & 1/2 mile from home it stopped dead.... i got it towed to the yard, then got a rollocking for running it out of fuel, which i was sure i hadn't... we were busy so left it.. 2 days later, we found the fuel line had been cut. i phoned the police and got a rollocking off them for not reporting it sooner. it appeared someone was targetting astras & nicking petrol.. my car had no D badge lol, so i stopped a crimewave.. but my point is that i got 1/2 mile with the fuel line cut & only the fuel in the filter, so a car could be nicked with an inline valve, and 1/2 mile is enough to do damage

Count Vaux Alot
22-11-12, 09:36 PM
Switch to the stop solenoid job done!

B19_ewn
22-11-12, 10:13 PM
Stop solenoid? Maybe speaks for itself but where is this located and wot does it do lol? Or wot is powered through it?

cossienova
23-11-12, 04:06 AM
A disclok is a good deterrent too.

B19_ewn
23-11-12, 07:02 AM
Got a snap off stearing wheel mate

Count Vaux Alot
23-11-12, 10:45 AM
Stop solenoid? Maybe speaks for itself but where is this located and wot does it do lol? Or wot is powered through it?

The stop solenoids on the back of the pump it controls fuel supply to the pump. In a simple on or of fashion. The 'wire' to the pump people have mentioned is the positive feed to the stop.

B19_ewn
23-11-12, 12:21 PM
Perfect mate cheers for the help. Much appreciated

Mazz
23-11-12, 03:11 PM
yeah, but your clock stops & then the radio needs resetting..

Hmm set clock and radio, or cars goes missing...?

Spudly
23-11-12, 07:41 PM
Ignition 12v +ve supply, cut and fit switch somehwere, clock and radio retain power as youre only cutting the power to the ignition, either way shouldnt start at all!

And the comments of fit a fuel pump switch, arent the td's in novas mechanically pumped like the izuzu lumps found in the cav lol

B19_ewn
23-11-12, 08:04 PM
Ignition 12v +ve supply, cut and fit switch somehwere, clock and radio retain power as youre only cutting the power to the ignition, either way shouldnt start at all!

And the comments of fit a fuel pump switch, arent the td's in novas mechanically pumped like the izuzu lumps found in the cav lol

Spudly would you not still be able to bump the car to start it?

Spudly
23-11-12, 08:10 PM
No as you need the igition circuit powered up to be able to start the car, it would be like trying to bump start it now, with the keys not in the igition!

B19_ewn
23-11-12, 09:15 PM
No as you need the igition circuit powered up to be able to start the car, it would be like trying to bump start it now, with the keys not in the igition!

What about the problem with the hazard switch?

Spudly
23-11-12, 09:25 PM
There is a how-to in the articles section showing how to add a resistor to the feed so that wont happen, or you could just get rid and buy a mk1 lol

B19_ewn
23-11-12, 09:49 PM
Cheers spudly. Will have a look for that also

Spudly
23-11-12, 10:43 PM
Here is the thread you want bud....

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?111240-*HOW-TO*-Mk2-Hazard-Switch-Mod

B19_ewn
23-11-12, 10:47 PM
Cheers bud. Managed to find it. Ordered a couple of the diodes and will get both the novas done asap

Spudly
23-11-12, 10:56 PM
No probs bud, ive got a few basic security steps on my nova, but you can never have too much imo:thumb:

B19_ewn
23-11-12, 11:18 PM
Aye that's the way I see it. If someone wants to try take it I extend to make it as hard as poss for them

Count Vaux Alot
24-11-12, 07:29 AM

Yes and all the pumps have stop solenoids.

Jon_nova1
24-11-12, 11:31 AM
..otherwise how would you stop your deisel without stalling it?