PDA

View Full Version : Want sunroof gone...

dudley
21-11-12, 11:09 PM
Hello,

I recently bought a tidy black Nova GTE. I want to convert into a rally car, when time allows, i do single venue stuff, sprints etc.. Problem be, it has a sunroof :( which aint good...
Anyone changed a Nova roof skin? i have a spare, bare 1.2 Merit shell, no sunroof...
Do i reshell? or just nick the roof?.. or make do, with plating it?

I feel guilty spoiling a lovely car, maybe i should just buy a quick (non sunroof) track car?

Any ideas? ... :roll:

Andy
21-11-12, 11:15 PM
use the non sunroof.
As simple as that!

dudley
21-11-12, 11:28 PM
Be killing a GTE tho ?

Andy
21-11-12, 11:30 PM
either way it will be killing it.sell the shell to someone

Benn
21-11-12, 11:30 PM
Your gonna kill it turning it and driving it as a rally car...

Novasport
21-11-12, 11:37 PM
Cut the non sunroof roof off at the pillars and drill out the spot welds but leave the inner pillars and roof bracing intact on both cars. Swap over and weld in, done properly it will be perfectly strong. It would only be like hving a join on the pillars when changing a quarter panel. Plus you will have a roll cage

dudley
22-11-12, 12:09 AM
.. points taken. Be easier to fit cage whilst roof off i suppose...shell needs stitching so a reshell maybe just as easy.
What is the difference in shells? Whats the GTE got extra?
Forgive my lack of knowledge !

gtegary
22-11-12, 07:41 AM
Only dofference in the actual shells is the gte has extra plates on the top of the front struts for extra strength. But these can be bought as part of engine bay strengthing kits which you will need for rallying any way.

My personal opinion is if the gte is tidy then maybe sell it on and get one that's already rally prepared with spares etc. there's always a one in eBay.

Just seems a shame for another good gte to die when there's only 90 ish left still registered.

Jack
22-11-12, 07:46 AM
Yeah, if the GTE is in good nick then it should be worth decent money - which you can use to buy a poverty spec shell and possibly get some change, or put the money towards a pre-built one and save some effort.

dudley
22-11-12, 09:33 AM
yes.. that was my train of thought. cheers guys...

Mazz
22-11-12, 10:23 AM
Gte's also have double skinned chassis legs, how much difference that makes I don't know! But please don't kill a gte, baby Jesus will cry :cry:

dudley
22-11-12, 12:25 PM
Praise be... i have seen the light !!

Anyone want a GTE, 83k, 2 owners, £995, or p/x a track monster ??

Southie
22-11-12, 12:29 PM
For Sale threads that-a-way >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

gtegary
22-11-12, 12:30 PM
Stick it the for sale section mate and someone will have it. For that price I would of been tempted if it wasn't for the distance

dudley
22-11-12, 12:51 PM
Yep, its a bit cheap, but it stands me that... and ebay has gone for a bag of ****e IMO....probably make more, thats if anyone turns up....

Jon_nova1
22-11-12, 04:49 PM
Although now irrelevant for this topic you could actually get fibreglass roofs where you cut the steel one off and replace it with this, it is do-able

turbojolt
22-11-12, 08:21 PM
were/who sells these fiberglass roof skins?

MARTIN KELSON
22-11-12, 09:08 PM
You could recently still get new GM roof skins in Germany (one sitting in my garage :) ) may still be some left
Project for another year getting rid of my sunroof & fitting proper weld in cage.

16v Nova Kev
22-11-12, 09:08 PM
Praise be... i have seen the light !!

Anyone want a GTE, 83k, 2 owners, £995, or p/x a track monster ??

im getting rid of a track car project we could swap

Jon_nova1
22-11-12, 11:59 PM
not sure where to get them now as theres alot less fibreglass panels around for the Nova, lots of searching of google would be needed and that's if anywhere still sells them