PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please.

TeddyThom
21-11-12, 07:46 PM
Basic story goes as follows:

Head gasket on the nova went,

So I went and bought a Mark 4 AstraVan with the financial help of the boss.

Went and viewed it, took it for a test drive, drove alright.

Few small problems with it, mainly the headlights need replacing as they are damaged along with a few other things. Did the usual oil filter and oil change just to be sure.

It seemed fine. However over the past couple of days, it has felt really sh!t. Lack of power, white smoke and generally running like a bag of crap.

Did a few tests with a friend of mine, and it turns out that the damned turbo is going, head gasket is going and it has a massive oil leak from somewhere.

After some research onto some replacement parts etc, it has turned out that a new engine for it is a damn site cheaper than doing all the repairs to it.

I can get the engine for around the £200-£250 mark, and it will take around 2 days (with a lot of help from my mechanic mate) to fit it as it is an identical engine.

Now the question I ask is this:

Is it worth doing the engine swap? Or just get shot of the van, and make as much out of it as possible then try and get a newer van?

phunkynova
21-11-12, 08:00 PM
It depends on how good the body of the Astra van is !.

TeddyThom
21-11-12, 08:05 PM
It's relatively rust free, couple of very small dents, the biggest being on the corner of the rear bumper...

I don't think it is too sad for a T reg!!

millworm
21-11-12, 08:26 PM
I'd put a new engine in, And you can always sell it after if you want something differnet.

Southie
21-11-12, 08:38 PM
For the money you spent on the van why didn't you borrow the money on getting the Nova back on the road?

Get the van fixed, sell it and cut your losses.

TeddyThom
21-11-12, 08:41 PM
For the money you spent on the van why didn't you borrow the money on getting the Nova back on the road?

Get the van fixed, sell it and cut your losses.

Need a van for work... The nova didn't cut it for interior space. The head gasket going was the push I needed for to get the van as I was being lazy lol

Southie
21-11-12, 08:43 PM
mmm then fix the van and sell the Nova lol

Connor
21-11-12, 08:45 PM
Fix the van, as its only scrap as it is!