PDA

View Full Version : thermostat

mk3 vinny
19-11-12, 10:31 PM
Bit of a silly question but on the 1.3 sr which way round dose the thermostat go in the block, as it fits both ways but my temp gauge is alway between 3/4 and the red spot it dosnt drop below 3/4 when driving I think I have put it in the wrong way but not sure.

Dose it open towards the block or open towards the housing

Also dose it have a gasket on as mine didnt when i got it and the paper gaskets it came with dont fit.

p.s the car came to me with no thermostat in.

Thanks
Vinny

conza123
19-11-12, 10:44 PM
dont know but my gauge always stays at 1/4 half way between cold and half. and then in trafic will go up to half way then the fan will kick in and drops down to a 1/4

pottersrebel
19-11-12, 10:49 PM
i always use a touch of sealant on the thermostat housing and it does sound like its back to front and shud open towards the housing not the block although i really aint sure

mk3 vinny
19-11-12, 10:57 PM
well that is what i thought but mine is currently opening towards the block and iv also used one of the big rubber gaskets around the thermostat as the thermostat dosnt seem to have anywere to sit.

thanks lads

pottersrebel
19-11-12, 11:19 PM
the more i think about it the more i think it should open towards the housing as its being fed by cold water from the rad therefore when the engine gets hot it opens away from the block letting the cold water in.
im sure someone will correct me if im wrong and there is a rubber gasket that wraps around the thermostat

mk3 vinny
19-11-12, 11:30 PM
that is what gasket i have on its like a fat rubber washer with the thermostat inside it and i will try swaping the thermostat round tomoz and see if it makes any difference

Thanks

mk3 vinny
25-11-12, 05:50 PM
this is a pic of the clocks this is it running normaly the temp gauge cant be right

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/mk3vinny/018.jpg

The fuel gauge dosnt work all the time eather.

mk3 vinny
25-11-12, 05:53 PM
iv also tryed the thermostat both ways and the other way made it worse so i put it back with the thermostat out the car warms up then when you drive it the car cools down to the blue marker again and it seems to be pumping water as i had the thermostat out and cranked the car over it started to pump water out the thermostat hole.

Im at a loss whats the chances its the thermostat and its faulty?

leggattr
25-11-12, 06:07 PM
Can't you try dunking it it hot/boiling water with string to see if its opening?

mk3 vinny
25-11-12, 06:10 PM
tbh i have had it out 3 times now and forgot to try that will try it tomorow

thanks

Royston
25-11-12, 06:37 PM
The main gubbins of the thermostat needs to be engine side, i.e. in the heat.;)

I had a similar issue with my range rover overheating, pushing coolant out, some pillock had put the thermostat in the wrong way.................me:roll:

mk3 vinny
25-11-12, 07:24 PM
thanks royston but i have had it in both ways and when i had it the other way it was worse so i put it back so the spring is inside the block.