PDA

View Full Version : Non side repeater front wings

gtegary
18-11-12, 06:06 PM
a while a go I bought a pair of font wings and I got them out the other day as I was finally going to get them painted when I realised one was an early type without the repeater hole and one had a repeater hole..

My dilemma now is do I get another non respeater wing or one with the repeater hole

I know its a legal requirement to have side repeaters on cars over a certain age and as mine is a mk2 that's going mk1 I'm going to need to put side repeaters some where but can only think of the mirrors as a suitable place but feel this may look tacky!

Has anyone ever had any mot problems with put side repeaters? Or moved side repeaters somewhere else? If so where?

andyredtop83
18-11-12, 09:19 PM
I dont have side repeaters on my mk1 but it is an 83 Areg, i bought a new wing for my GTE a few years back and the only one i could buy didnt have the hole for the side repeater so i had to drill my own. It was a pattern part though not genuine GM.

Markd89
18-11-12, 09:25 PM
You dont need to have side repeaters, you can weld a plate over them and smooth them over, if they are not fitted then they arent tested. Although some people say you do some say you dont, ive never had a problem i suppose its upto the mot tester.

gtegary
19-11-12, 01:17 PM
Might chance it then. I would prefer the smoother look without them. Suppose if it comes to the worst at mot time I could always just stick some somewhere.

Pistol Pete
19-11-12, 06:06 PM
You should leave it as a mk2 then you wouldn't need to worry about side reps.....

And I plated and filled my holes.

karisma
21-11-12, 10:12 AM
If the car came out the factory with side reps then they should remain the rest of the cars life.

But I'd ran cars without them and never had a problem. Just leaves stick on ones in the scuttle panel when needed + that won't affect and wattage issues on the relay.

Luckily my saloon is b reg so doesn't need them anyway.

gtegary
21-11-12, 04:56 PM
Didn't think of wattage problems. Will not having side repeaters make the rest of the indicators flash faster as if a bulb was gone?

karisma
22-11-12, 05:43 PM
I think it should do but on my corsa b I didn't have any problems.

Like I said just leave them connected somewhere like in the scuttle panel.

paul james
22-11-12, 05:46 PM
You could always drill a hole in the wing that doesn't have one so you can have repeaters on both sides.

marc69
22-11-12, 11:18 PM
As far as I know it is April or August 1986 onwards that legally should have repeaters, but check with your tester to se igf they need them, personally I think they look better without, as with both of my Bregs, rear seat belts arre also not a requirement in my 1984 cars.....

Not having a repeater bulb will not affect the other indicators.

Pete
28-11-12, 06:10 PM
Marc, what month does the non requirement of rear seat belt become valid? i have a 84, iirc its Feb 84.

My friend had a gsi and he plated the wholes and went straight through its MOT. like stated i think it all depends on the tester.

MK999
28-11-12, 06:35 PM
Mk2 are legal without side repeaters as you can see the direct light of the indicator bulb standing level with the headlight from 1m away.

marc69
28-11-12, 09:04 PM
No idea when the rear seatbelts were compulsary but it wouldn't be long after they started fitting them as standard. my first Nova which was 1985 also didn't have rear seatbelts so must have been legal. Also bearing in mind that even in 1988 the basic Nova came without front seat headrestraints...