PDA

View Full Version : Solex locks

Markd89
18-11-12, 12:01 AM
Anybody know where you can get these from ? apparently not available in the uk anymore
I've seen a few sets on the bay for astra / corsa but unsure if they would fit as these are stated as nova :

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac229/ryandocherty/d0e3d317.jpg

i have found a site but im not willing to pay £60 + £18 postage !!

L14MNP
18-11-12, 12:38 AM
Says Astra in the above set as well as Nova...

£78 posted isn't so bad imo.

burgo
18-11-12, 12:46 AM
They are crap I really wouldn't bother

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 09:25 AM
Got them in mine. Wouldnt agree that they are crap atall. Think i got them off Ebay new for around £30

Not that i ever lock the door.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/smith9051/Nova%20on%20bike%20carbs/DSC02651.jpg

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 09:27 AM
The Astra / Corsa ones wont fit, as they are just barrel inserts and relate to mk3 Astra / Corsa B. I have a set of those here too.

The ones above are for mk1 / mk2 Astra and Nova

Southie
18-11-12, 09:34 AM
These will be what your looking for ;)
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=150946432419&index=4&nav=SEARCH&nid=73898894549

Dan Stanley
18-11-12, 09:49 AM
I bought my last set from the shop thats on the price tag on the box of the OP's picture. That was a couple or four years ago, but they were no more than £30. The guy in the shop rang the supplier who said they had shed loads left. I would start my search with A1 motor stores. Theres one I know of in Dagenham.

Spudly
18-11-12, 10:28 AM
DO NOT BUY THEM, theyre utter crap, the cylinders stick on them and you either cant get the key back out, or cant get the key in!

And theyre a complete waste of money as theyre only ever going to be as strong as the door/metal panel theyre in, which isnt very strong at all, you can still knock them through with a hammer very easily as a nova doorskin is made from plasticene!

Dan Stanley
18-11-12, 11:23 AM
^^^ I dont agree. People will always say "its a nova, it can be nicked in 5 secs" or "doesnt matter what you do, if someone wants it enough then they'll take it", but surely the harder you make it the better chance you stand of keeping it? So anything, even these locks, are better than nothing?
Back in the day, my mate had his nova locks munched up with a flat head screwdriver 2 or 3 times. You cant do that with these locks.
My solex locks never jammed. Perhaps a bit of grease on the mechanism inside the door is the answer. Anyway, a new set of solex locks comes with a master key that opens (your own set only of course) your lock whatever position its left in.
If you want the locks then buy them, its not going to make your car any less safe.

phazer
18-11-12, 12:17 PM
No-one picks the locks on a Nova though, having a more secure key is useless when the lock is not the weak point. Yes they used to screwdriver the door lock which you can't with these but a socket and a lump hammer would put these inside the door - they used to do this to solex locks round here even when they were for sale everywhere. Utterly useless.

Andy
18-11-12, 12:19 PM
Put the money to a good alarm and immobiliser instead,i wouldnt pay in washers for these.

Markd89
18-11-12, 12:25 PM
I have an immobiliser already but both of my nova door locks have had screwdrivers in them at one point and aren't very safe atall, although once there in they can only take the stereo and interior bits unless its towed away. Mixed reviews on the solex locks , reminds me of the keys you have for a d lock.

burgo
18-11-12, 12:44 PM
You would be better off buying remote central locking then leave the standard barrels in but disconnect them. Not that it makes any difference as shoving the weather strip down is the fastest/easiest way to get in anyway and that doesn't matter because the scrotes that break in just bend the door.

L14MNP
18-11-12, 01:28 PM
They are crap I really wouldn't bother

I agree with that, but the price is still reasonable for 2x brand new, car specific security locks imo.

Dunno how little people expect to pay for things at times. lol

General Baxter
18-11-12, 04:03 PM
You would be better off buying remote central locking then leave the standard barrels in but disconnect them. Not that it makes any difference as shoving the weather strip down is the fastest/easiest way to get in anyway and that doesn't matter because the scrotes that break in just bend the door.

yes we all know about me locking the keys in mine at pv, too all off ooo errrr 2 seconds to open it with no tools and no damage lol

L14MNP
18-11-12, 04:06 PM
If you ever fancy a Mazda 323 GTR, I was only too happy to show the owner the method isn't just restricted to Vauxhalls. lol

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 06:22 PM
What idiot goes out to steal a car armed with a lump hammer?

Spudly
18-11-12, 06:22 PM
yes we all know about me locking the keys in mine at pv, too all off ooo errrr 2 seconds to open it with no tools and no damage lol

This has just given me flashbacks of me Baxter, and Rob, at PVS, and bmx122's nova lol

What idiot goes out to steal a car armed with a lump hammer?

Fair few go equipped, youd be surprised, but the normal method of entry these days is bend the door back, see loads round here with semi straightened doors, and ask my mate whos nova went walkies a week ago and was recovered on friday, n/s door bent back :cry:

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 06:31 PM
Yeah my door got bent out when it was parked on the road, It had solex locks so they must have forgot their hammer that night.

Would still preffer that to a bent up key hole though.

burgo
18-11-12, 06:44 PM
Yeah my door got bent out when it was parked on the road, It had solex locks so they must have forgot their hammer that night.

Would still preffer that to a bent up key hole though.are you mad. Bent door = ****ed door, where as you can repair the lock holes

Spudly
18-11-12, 06:47 PM
As above, ive straightened the 'flanges' that the lock sits into and refitted a damaged lock before now, whereas ive never managed to straighten a bent door ever!

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 07:29 PM
Straightened out fine, just need to keep on top of the cracked paint at the bottom of the frame with a little T-cut every now and again.

In my experience any old vaux with a jemmied door lock has the door skin around the outside of the lock distorted. No ammount of bending back makes it look straight,

staggy_gsi
18-11-12, 07:42 PM
Id fit them just cos they remind me of the 90's and i loved the 90's lol

Spudly
18-11-12, 07:50 PM
Straightened out fine, just need to keep on top of the cracked paint at the bottom of the frame with a little T-cut every now and again.

In my experience any old vaux with a jemmied door lock has the door skin around the outside of the lock distorted. No ammount of bending back makes it look straight,

Id much rather try to straighten out the lock mouting points, as when ive had bent doors on cars including novas, ive found that once the door comes out it looks like--> \

And when you have bent it back, it doesnt bend straight and you end up with a curve which looks like--> (

After this you are left with water ingress, wind noise and obviously cracked paint and the eventual rust issue at the top of the door skin!

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 08:12 PM
Maybe you are doing it wrong.

Straightened out fine,

Spudly
18-11-12, 08:15 PM
And in which case maybe youre straightening the door lock damage wrong aswell :p

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree on this one, i personally have had them, and wished my car didnt have them, id never buy them but thats my own experience/opinion on them :thumb:

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 08:34 PM
And in which case maybe youre straightening the door lock damage wrong aswell :p:

Got me there lol

Spudly
18-11-12, 09:01 PM
Got me there lol

Lol made me giggle :p

:thumb:

Novasport
18-11-12, 09:09 PM
Prob better off leaving the door unlocked and spending your money on a disc lock etc. A door is not an obstacle for a thieving scrote and the fact that a drivers door is well over £300 for a new one and impossible to find is not an issue to them.
If you are going to lock it, remove the reason for them to want to get into the car. Remove anything of any value and put obstacles in their way to make them not want to bother, ie disclok, snap-off boss, immobilisor, alarm etc

Markd89
18-11-12, 09:10 PM
alot of opinions on theses, what about smooth door locks and just a central locking kit fitted, although i would have thought that would encourage thieves to bend the door back to gain entry, i suppose whatever what you look at it if they want to be in there is plenty of windows to smash and doors to bend.

Edit - i already have an immobiliser and a disklock, although around here they would still try it just for fun, ie screwdriver in the lock which mine has been done but they didnt get in just damaged the lock.
( amateurs )

Southie
18-11-12, 09:14 PM
Basically if you don't want someone to break in or damage it because your worrying about it then do what I did... Sell it lol

L14MNP
18-11-12, 09:16 PM
Bent my Nova door back so it looked decent on the outside.

Was ****ed inside mind. They're never the same again.

Markd89
18-11-12, 09:16 PM
Basically if you don't want someone to break in or damage it because your worrying about it then do what I did... Sell it lol

thats just been defeatist lol

Southie
18-11-12, 09:18 PM
thats just been defeatist lol

Nah realist, since I've sold it its never been broken into :p lol

Novasport
18-11-12, 09:22 PM
http://toyotachinook.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/car-door-padlock-latch.jpg

Novasport
18-11-12, 09:25 PM
PMSL lol lol lol

http://cl.jroo.me/z3/K/4/u/d/a.aaa-The-best-car-security.jpg

Stuart
18-11-12, 09:28 PM
I had solex locks on the 1.2 for about 3 years and they never got stuck etc...

Southie
18-11-12, 09:30 PM
Feckit, lets go all out on this one... Is this Baxter with a paintball gun lol

http://cdn2.damnfunnypictures.com/car-locks-1058.jpg

Markd89
18-11-12, 09:31 PM
Feckit, lets go all out on this one... Is this Baxter with a paintball gun lol

http://cdn2.damnfunnypictures.com/car-locks-1058.jpg

lol lol

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 09:52 PM
Since my break in, if i ever need to leave it outside the house overnight, which is rare i just park the 2 vans tight on the doors either side and climb out through the boot.

Saves the wheels getting pinched too.

But granted if someone wants to get into it they will, regardless of how difficult we make it for them.

Iain
18-11-12, 10:50 PM
Remove the internal pins and they have no reason to bend the door back?

The Solex locks are good, they can deadlock the locks so you can't pull the pin up or manually move the mechanism.

Markd89
18-11-12, 11:03 PM

The Solex locks are good, they can deadlock the locks so you can't pull the pin up or manually move the mechanism.

my old man had a mk1 fiesta last winter and the pins where replace with smooth allen bolts so they couldnt be grabbed when locked

Spudly
18-11-12, 11:22 PM

LMFAO!!!!!

Sorry Iain, but they will still bend the door as they are that stupid they will think they can get in, no matter what you do to stop them!

This is my old nova after i sold it to my mates sister in newcastle a few years back, i bought it back after the following attack/damage..

Door pins chopped level with the door card, door locks disconnected and running off c/l motors linked to alarm and wires run along the bottom of the door, no physical way of entering the car, barring a brick to the glass or bending the door (battery was also flat btw)

Passenger door, lock screwdrivered...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Cars/P5070060.jpg

Drivers door, screwdrivered, and then bent open six inches, they levered it by their knees on the door skin..

Look at the shape of the alu surround, it never went back to shape and leaked like fook in the rain..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Cars/P5070058.jpg

Would you look at that, you can see through the gap in the door shut, into the car!!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Cars/P5070057.jpg

Entry gained within minutes, owners elderly neighbour watched, scared to do anything so nothing was done, the shear bolts on the column failed before the steering lock did..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Cars/P5070056.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Cars/P5070055.jpg

They managed to blackbox it, but due to the cat1 toad ai606 fitted and the flat battery, the car didnt get taken, they are the only reason, they couldnt get by the oe door locks, so they bent the doors, couldnt undo the lock pins as they were disconnected, so they bent the doors so far they could crawl through the gap!

Moral is, i wouldve rather repaired the lock damage than have to replace the entire drivers door after they destroyed it trying to gain entry!

Jack
19-11-12, 07:23 AM
Bought them for my old hatchback, a couple weeks later came back to the car in a car park to find the lock hanging out the door and a mashed lock hole. Nice.

Only saving grace I suppose was as you can't munch a solex lock with a screwdriver like a standard one, I was able to put the lock back in the door lol

Rydoc
19-11-12, 08:12 AM
Got them in mine. Wouldnt agree that they are crap atall. Think i got them off Ebay new for around £30

Not that i ever lock the door.

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af79/smith9051/Nova%20on%20bike%20carbs/DSC02651.jpg
Either would i there brilliant compare to the scrap locks u get on novas
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac229/ryandocherty/2C54B2D0-EB9A-455E-93A7-3512FE20F899-1550-0000014C615F9162.jpg

scott.parker
19-11-12, 08:58 AM
These locks were fitted to an astra mk2 I got for its xe, they were a pain in the Ass to gain entry with even with the key, so anyone stealing it would just smash them through like any other lock.
Imo if they want to steal the car they will, so as others say make it awkward inside

Andy
19-11-12, 03:57 PM
LMFAO at a 2012 solex thread having 5 pages lol

chrisd1986
23-12-12, 09:42 PM
These locks were fitted to an astra mk2 I got for its xe, they were a pain in the Ass to gain entry with even with the key, so anyone stealing it would just smash them through like any other lock.
Imo if they want to steal the car they will, so as others say make it awkward inside

Could this not be solved with wd40 in the mech once in a while, im more interested in these for the looks as i leave my car in my garage unlocked

brainsnova
23-12-12, 10:11 PM
I just don't like the idea of opening a car with a D-lock key lol