PDA

View Full Version : garage lights

turbojolt
17-11-12, 11:13 PM
with the days getting dark so early Ive got to sort out some lighting for my garage, i was meant to be getting some florescent tubes and the fittings from a friend but that seems to have been forgotten :roll:

so i was just on tool stations website and see there range of free standing site lights, was thinking they might be handy only a bit over 20 quid aswell

LINK (http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lighting/Site+Lights/Tripod+Site+Light+Double+1000w+240v/d220/sd2480/p57748)

1000w of light should be enough right, anyone got any other/better ideas then these?

:thumb:

Lewis.
17-11-12, 11:16 PM
utterly useless for lighting a small space like a garage, will cast enormous shadows, and blind you if you look anywhere near it.

go for fluorescent lighting. cheap to run, and with a diffuser, give bright, virtually shadowless light. 1 will light an average garage well, 2 if your feeling flush lol

click HERE (http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-standard-switch-start-batten-1-x-36w-exc-diffuser-4ft-1225mm/56702). ebay can turn up some good bargains in terms of used battens

hendrix
17-11-12, 11:24 PM
Ive got 4 tubes in my garage and about to add a further 2. Ideal lighting

L14MNP
17-11-12, 11:34 PM
Just.changed mine last year. Did have x2 6' double flourescents with diffusers, but sacked them.off in favour of x8 4' jobs with uber white light output.

Only cost me around £90. They were bought via a mates trade account at an electrical wholesaler though, so were well priced.

Money aside though, I have all the light I ever need. No shadows cast when working at the bench etc.

paul james
18-11-12, 09:22 AM
On the plus side for those free moving massive watt lights, they do pump out a lot of heat and can keep your garage warm while working in there during winter!

8valve-craig
18-11-12, 09:31 AM
I have 4x 6ft tubes in a garage big enough for a few cars and its still not enough.

Painting the walls white and the floor gloss grey will have a massive effect.

Dan Stanley
18-11-12, 10:06 AM
^^^ This is what I did. White walls, garage floor paint and more lights than blackpool! But hey, Im a sparky so I couldn't resist!! Didn't cost me either.
Shame your so far away TJ, otherwise I'd have sorted you out a good deal.

turbojolt
18-11-12, 10:58 AM
just phoined my mate and he said he can only get the 8ft tube lights, only problem being the 8ft tubes cost 10x more to buy so there is no point getting them from him, after giving him a beer and buying spare tubes i will be losing out

toolstation seem to have the 6ft tubes and fittings for 15 quid, dosnt seem bad 2 of them and some cable and plugs, i will only be about 40 quid down

L33 LEG
18-11-12, 01:54 PM
When my garage was just a single size i had the one flourescent tube in and it was REALLY bright in there. Paint the walls white and it's all you need. You obviously need a torch for working underneath a car at times but those floorstanding lights will be pointless imo.

When i did my extension i bought some new tubes for that area and arnt as bright, the larger one that i kept in the main area is what you want. Cant think if it's a 6ft or 8ft one though.

MK999
18-11-12, 02:43 PM
My dad rescued a load of fluoro fittings out of a skip, I've got 4 fittings in total, 2 singles and 2 doubles and it's ideal for lighting a garage tbh. Keep a lead lamp or something handy for welding under a car though... I actually use a weird christmas cracker LED thing that has a flexi 'neck' I can wrap round my torch arm lol

Keif
18-11-12, 08:21 PM
TJ, you only need ONE light in your garage.

£30 for THIS (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/petzl-tactikka-plus-head-torch/)

Sorted.

Mike
18-11-12, 08:25 PM
Ive got 4 tubes in my garage and about to add a further 2. Ideal lighting

This.

4 or 6 (dependant on garage size) is about all youll ever need. Maybe one smaller one mounted above work bench.

All I ever do is call Mike Senior (hes a sparky) tell him what I want, he'll tell me what I need & how much & the rest is history. He rigged up mine & his workshop with there own consumer units, internal & external ligthing, external weather proof sockets etc.

turbojolt
18-11-12, 08:39 PM
TJ, you only need ONE light in your garage.

£30 for THIS (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/petzl-tactikka-plus-head-torch/)

Sorted.

ive already got a better head torch then that

mowgli
18-11-12, 08:44 PM
you need strip lights with clear sealed covers.. then fit one each side low down & a couple on the ceiling.. 5ft is long enough.

you could do something with small spotlamps and fit one in each of the corners & aim them down like a footy pitch to get even lighting.

buy new from a decent elec wholesaler.