PDA

View Full Version : Garage doors

Edd
16-11-12, 06:17 PM
Can anyone recommend me a good place to buy a new garage door ?

Would want it delivered
Up and over type
Good/excellent security
Not mega mega priced

Put a new roof on and new side door with added locks etc, just need a new door now

Edd

sport
16-11-12, 06:21 PM
I have yet to see an up and over type door with good/excellent security to be honest.

Mike
16-11-12, 06:22 PM
I have yet to see an up and over type door with good/excellent security to be honest.

This.

But its not hard to make them quite reasonably secure using nothing more then a length of scaff pipe & two scaff hold clamps.

L14MNP
16-11-12, 06:23 PM
That's what I was thinking sport.

Think you dropped your key there Edd.

http://www.gardenideapicture.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Garden-Spade.jpg

Get a roller door IMO.

Mike
16-11-12, 06:24 PM
^ easy was around that, as I said previously.

16v Nova Kev
16-11-12, 06:25 PM
Meh. I have and electric roller shutter. No chunt getting there

Edd
16-11-12, 06:26 PM

The one i have on my garage at my old place had a pin either side that came out when locking/shutting it, that was pretty secure, i caught some pikey hanging off it with a crowbar once lol

This.

But its not hard to make them quite reasonably secure using nothing more then a length of scaff pipe & two scaff hold clamps.

i will put extra security on it whatever i buy tbh

L14MNP
^ easy was around that, as I said previously.

Not on my council garage. /Said the same time I posted. lol

Mike
Meh. I have and electric roller shutter. No chunt getting there

IMO these are just as easy to get through as a normal up & over. Makes a bit of noise doing it, but still just as easy.

Edd
16-11-12, 06:27 PM
Get a roller door IMO.

mega bucks tho

Mike
16-11-12, 06:27 PM
Not on my council garage.

No I mean an easy way around stopping people using a spade or run/jump opening.

L14MNP
16-11-12, 06:29 PM
mega bucks tho

I know what you're saying like. I just think they're far superior in every way. Plus can be beefed up to make them even better.

The problem with Mikes method is the fact you then have to swing a 6' scaffy bar around next to your pride and joy whenever you want the door open!

Edd
16-11-12, 06:30 PM
after the attempted break in at my old place i just connected the door to the mains lol

never had any bother after that

L14MNP
16-11-12, 06:30 PM
No I mean an easy way around stopping people using a spade or run/jump opening.

I know what you mean. When the only access to the garage is through the main door though, your options are severely limited.
Not like when you have side door/house access.

Edd
16-11-12, 06:33 PM
I know what you're saying like. I just think they're far superior in every way. Plus can be beefed up to make them even better.

i couldn't fit a roller door anyway as there is no room to mount it due to the roof being low on the garage itself

Mike
16-11-12, 06:36 PM
The problem with Mikes method is the fact you then have to swing a 6' scaffy bar around next to your pride and joy whenever you want the door open!

Much rather that then wake up to an empty garage :thumb:

And other then this, you have not many cheap, effective options either.

Andy
16-11-12, 06:37 PM
Meat tin keys open them bags of sh1t.
I wouldnt bother.
get some steel ones made or wooden type.

L14MNP
16-11-12, 06:40 PM
I get ya Edd ^

If the garage is part of the house, I recommend having another PIR sensor fitted in there, so it is part of your house alarm - if you have one.
Can also have a shock sensor on the door, again part of the alarm.

Whatever door you have, I would be adding some thick angle iron to the sides and bottom, and padlocking it to the wall/ground personally.

Edd
16-11-12, 07:00 PM
tbh crime aint that bad round here, even less of it since i moved

the door i have is mega rusty, frame is crap, so just need something to replace it with

beefing it up will happen

i just cant find anywhere that doesn't either want 600+ for a door or looks like a pikey place to shop

L14MNP
16-11-12, 07:00 PM
Address please. :d

My garage is about 80' away from the front of the house at the bottom of garden, and faces onto a main road, so I don't give anyone a chance. lol

Jack
16-11-12, 07:35 PM
Tried Garador in Yeovil? Not sure if they do individual sales though

turbojolt
16-11-12, 07:47 PM
Ive got a electric up and over door and is so fooking slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, i would much rather have the standard up and over manual door with a padlocked metal bar and concrete posts for added security if i owned this house

_Jake
16-11-12, 08:34 PM
Meat tin keys open them bags of sh1t.
I wouldnt bother.
get some steel ones made or wooden type.
what he said! its not hard to make steel doors, i'll do it if you pm me the sizes lol

mk1nova_rich
16-11-12, 08:43 PM
How about one of these... http://www.unionindustries.co.uk/doors/ramdoor.htm

Give us a ring for a quote lollol might be a bit pricey

mowgli
16-11-12, 08:45 PM
make some wooden double doors. you can fit all the security you need. and as a bonus, you can open one side when running the engine up

Jon_nova1
16-11-12, 09:22 PM
never thought of putting an anchor point into the cement and putting a lock at the bottom of the garage? the only way in then is to get the garage of its hinges, or cut the lock

mowgli
16-11-12, 09:27 PM
never thought of putting an anchor point into the cement and putting a lock at the bottom of the garage? the only way in then is to get the garage of its hinges, or cut the lock

my neighbour thought that too... till he locked his house keys inside his garage... it took me less than 10 seconds to get in without any signs of a break in...

fact 1. most locks & hasps are cheap & easy to break.
fact 2. most up & over doors are not secure either..

pottersrebel
16-11-12, 09:41 PM
i work for a big private house builder and we use up and over doors on a house selling for approx £300,000 we have a garage door that opens when locked with a good side to side shake, obv not fitted right but just goes to show how easy up and over doors are to open. imo you need a removable security post in front of the door but even that isnt fool proof.

L14MNP
17-11-12, 12:22 AM
make some wooden double doors. you can fit all the security you need. and as a bonus, you can open one side when running the engine up

This is what I have. Two huge heavy wooden doors, and inside, two thick joists that slot in above each other.

Stops the doors being pried open, torn off etc. Nothing is foolproof, but this is pretty good.

L33 LEG
17-11-12, 10:21 AM
i couldn't fit a roller door anyway as there is no room to mount it due to the roof being low on the garage itself

Exactly the same problem as i had with my garage, my old roller shutter broke and was really small. I got a new one off ebay (exactly the same as the £1k+ ones you get from most places) and i reversed the fittings and fitted it to the outside of my house. Looks really neat and definetly better than an up and over. The gseller said he wasnt sure if it would work the other way round but after screwing it back on the opposite side and a few other things it works perfectly.

A quick pic to show which i mean, think i paid £300 or so for it and iirc was collected from stoke area but they'll probably deliver.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i184/L33LEG/new%20house%20project/DSC00548.jpg