PDA

View Full Version : Running ball joint on top of TCA

Mieran
15-11-12, 11:25 PM
This is just an idea I've had but not sure if it will work.

Would running the ball joint on top of the track control arm and tie bar (maybe with some spacers too) be a good idea to keep the track control arm as flat as possible when going really low?

The veedub boys solution is ball joint extender but they dont look very safe and no one makes them for a nova:

http://img.tapatalk.com/1f5af3da-c836-162a.jpg

Mieran
15-11-12, 11:33 PM
Somthing like this?

http://www.deemark.jp/images/golf5gtidetuning/IMG_8097.JPG
http://www.deemark.jp/images/golf5gtidetuning/IMG_8106.JPG

novacabrio
15-11-12, 11:48 PM
Yeah it's been done before I think Keith or Andyb has his like that

Jonlem
16-11-12, 12:08 AM
Late corsa/tigra knuckles are 10mm longer than Nova and early corsa ones.

Mieran
16-11-12, 12:10 AM
I thought that was only around the track rod end area hence corsa kids use Nova knuckles to lower the track rod angle a bit?

Jonlem
16-11-12, 12:17 AM
IIRC The total height of the knuckle is 10mm longer than the earlier ones, the bottom ball joint is kinked on the late cars as well.

I may well have that wrong but I'm quite sure we once measured some up and that was the verdict we came too.

Mieran
16-11-12, 12:26 AM
Yeah I know about the ball joints but knuckles are interchangeable, do you think the kink is there to take the extra 10mm?

Here is a pic of late corsa knuckle and i will take pic of nova one at same angle for comparison

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b69/corsa120/undersidenew3.jpg

Jonlem
16-11-12, 01:02 AM
Its hard to see in a picture but I'll have a look at a early knuckle tomorrow. The late setup was Lotus designed according to Hockley

mowgli
16-11-12, 06:06 PM
This is just an idea I've had but not sure if it will work.

Would running the ball joint on top of the track control arm and tie bar (maybe with some spacers too) be a good idea to keep the track control arm as flat as possible when going really low?

The veedub boys solution is ball joint extender but they dont look very safe and no one makes them for a nova:

what you need to remember is that this will not actually change the relationship between the bush & the knuckle, it simply changes a straight line into an L shaped line. it might add a couple of mm to the length at most, so from a geometry point of view, it adds nothing. from a clearance point of view, it might help, and it all depends on what ARB you are using.

therealnovaboy
16-11-12, 09:27 PM
Raising the bottom ball jont from the TCA move the TCA at down at the side nearest the wheel. if that makes sense?

I.E. if say the car has the hub higher than the point where the TCA meets the chassis, if you put spacers on to raise the ball joint, the hub will stay at the same place but the TCA will run parrallel with the point it joins the chassis. Or more horizontal than without the spacer depending on how high you raise the ball joint.

What is it you hope to acheive? A positive camber when lowered ? As mowgli said the camber/ geometry would remain the same altho the ball in the joint would sit closer to the angle of how a standard cars would sit. Why do you need the TCA to be as flat as possible ?

mk1nova_rich
18-11-12, 08:27 AM
Yes I can't see why it wont work, just possibly concerns with the thin metal of the TCA flexing as it won't be clamped between the tie bar and the balljoint anymore

Mieran
18-11-12, 09:42 AM
Its to correct the roll centre and bring wishbone back up to same angle or straight as possible, I did say car is going to be very low, not the usual 40mm jobby

And Rich I will be using Corsa B arms and they are plated standard so should be alright.

vx kev
18-11-12, 10:54 AM
Its to correct the roll centre and bring wishbone back up to same angle or straight as possible, I did say car is going to be very low, not the usual 40mm jobby

And Rich I will be using Corsa B arms and they are plated standard so should be alright.

Quick question. Are Corsa B arms the same length as the nova arms, i.e. only difference being the corsa arms are plated?

Mieran
18-11-12, 10:58 AM
Corsa B ones are 10mm longer so fitting them will give you some camber

Jon_nova1
18-11-12, 12:19 PM
It will shear the 2?mm tca bolt holes. if you made a 6MM plate with 2 holes to sit under the tca to get bolted from the other side you should be ok and still get what your trying to achieve

Lewis.
18-11-12, 12:30 PM
mieren: an extra 10mm in the corsa bottom arm with all the other Nova components will produce some odd results. first is savage toe out, so you would require longer Corsa track rods as 10mm is a lot pf thread to find on the nova rods. the drive shafts will be short, making the inner CV compensate, so it may run out of plunge at full travel. also with standard nova tie bars, the arms will be pulled forwards, giving huge castor angles.

Jonlem
18-11-12, 12:31 PM
Corsa B uses 2 different length TCA'a, tie rods and knuckles.