PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy s3

Chay84
15-11-12, 08:48 PM
Thinking about getting one to upgrade my iphone4

Went to phones for you got offered 32 per month (600min unlimited txt and 1/2 gig data)
And £50 cash and also a free case, pretty good deal but bit worried about giving up on my iPhone :(

Mike
15-11-12, 08:54 PM
Whats to worry about?

Giving up over priced iFail equipment for sensible priced, super powerful Samsung equipment that doesnt have a scene tax.

Cant see what the issue is really?

L14MNP
15-11-12, 09:00 PM
^ All day.

I'm still more than happy with me S2. Then again, I don't really care about having the latest.

iBuywhattheytellmeisgreatbtreallyitsforthemostpart inferior stuff aint for me though.

Chay84
15-11-12, 09:02 PM
I have a parrot mki9200 in the car that has a dock for my iPhone, also have a Bose dock in the house, and a Sony dock in my bedroom, a galaxy s3 isn't much cheaper that the ifail 5 lol,

I would not get the 5 due to it being just the same as 4 with a tiny bit bigger screen

, I am liking the Samsung but not sure if I should commit to a 24 month plan seeing as I am on o2 simplicity ATM paying 16 a month for 600 mins and I'm still happy with the phone I have but after 2 yrs its bound to pack in at some point(apple after all) as I type right now my iPad keeps dropping off connection lol

Chay84
15-11-12, 09:05 PM
^ All day.

I'm still more than happy with me S2. Then again, I don't really care about having the latest.

iBuywhattheytellmeisgreatbtreallyitsforthemostpart inferior stuff aint for me though.

Me either but I do like quality stuff when I do buy

I bought the iPhone 4 2 yrs ago and before that never had a good phone before

And if I get a new phone i would rather get a 8 mp camera one cause I'm gonna keep it for another 2 yrs or just keep what I have

Mike
15-11-12, 09:06 PM
I would not get the 5 due to it being just the same as 4 with a tiny bit bigger screen

Well then youve just answered your own qeustion lol

And also iFail camera are utter dog shÃ*t. I mean, like shockingly bad.

^ All day.

This^ Ive had my S2 a year now, still got 1 year left on its contract. Only had it a week or two & dropped in a bath tub full of water. Guess what.... It still works fine. My friend at work dropped his iFail4 in a puddle about 5mm deep, its never worked since.

BUT, I didnt buy it for all its fancy shiz, hell I only recently got round to getting WiFi in the house about a month ago lol all I wanted a phone to replace an age old blackberry Torch or Curve or what ever the hell it was that I had. I dont even use the email app thing on it, only eBay, calls & texts, thats all I ever use it for.

John
15-11-12, 09:07 PM
Guess what i've just upgraded to? lol (although it hasn't arrived yet, orange/ee egits!)

Mike
15-11-12, 09:10 PM
Guess what i've just upgraded to? lol (although it hasn't arrived yet, orange/ee egits!)

EE aint gonna work on a Nokia 402 John lol lol

Although flashing aerials were boss!

John
15-11-12, 09:12 PM
EE aint gonna work on a Nokia 402 John lol lol

Although flashing aerials were boss!

Afpmsl! lol

Novasport
15-11-12, 09:19 PM
I am trying to make this decision at the moment. I am up for renewal now and I have to do it fairly soon as I am on a staff deal. A girl at work has the iPhone 5 and one of the lads has a Galaxy S3 so I compared them back to back.
I like the build quality of the iPhone but it is not amazing, however the S3 blows it out of the water on screen display quality, useability and the excellent camera. The iPremium you need to pay get a slightly inferior product does not seem worth it imo

Novasport
15-11-12, 09:22 PM
but bit worried about giving up on my iPhone :(

Because you wont have the correct iMage?

Chay84
15-11-12, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking the same,iPhone 5 isn't anything special compared to the 4,4s. I wouldn't waste my time entertaining apple again, I like my iPhone 4 and might keep it if I can't decide what to do, lf I get one tho the wife wants one as well or a note 2

Jack
15-11-12, 09:35 PM
For £32 a month I'd want more than 500Mb data.

John
15-11-12, 09:35 PM
Because you wont have the correct iMage?

I shall be getting one. I don't give a flying duck about my image lol

Mike
15-11-12, 09:38 PM

This is true.

I got mine through Phones 4U last christmas time & it 1000 mins (obv landlines are £FOC), 1gig data, unlimited text for £30p/m.

Not that I use 1k mins, more like 2~300 if that lol last month I used 135mb of data aswell lol

Chay84
15-11-12, 09:39 PM

Got wifi at home and work so not too fussed tbh it 36 a month for unlimited calls and texts and then 1gig data

Chay84
15-11-12, 09:40 PM
The new tax caused it to go up so the guy said or bull****ted?

burgo
15-11-12, 09:47 PM
I love my s3 wouldn't ever entertain the idea of an iphail anymore. Think i pay £28 month and phone only cost £20

wisewood
15-11-12, 09:59 PM
I get 5000 texts, 300 minutes and 1.5GB data. With a free Galaxy Note 2. From mobiles.co.uk (carphone warehouse). Just make sure you cancel the geek squad within a month and its all good. Feee next day delivery with choice of dhl or royal mail.

You should not be getting such a low amount of data on a 32 quid a month deal with a top end phone. Seriously shoddy.

Novasport
15-11-12, 10:05 PM
I shall be getting one. I don't give a flying duck about my image lol

What's your reasons for getting one over the S3 then?

Benn
15-11-12, 10:06 PM
S3 or One-x for me, leaning to wards the One-x at the mo... My renewal is up at the end of the month. Hope Orange/EE get both back in stock by then.

Chay84
15-11-12, 10:08 PM
I get 5000 texts, 300 minutes and 1.5GB data. With a free Galaxy Note 2. From mobiles.co.uk (carphone warehouse). Just make sure you cancel the geek squad within a month and its all good. Feee next day delivery with choice of dhl or royal mail.

You should not be getting such a low amount of data on a 32 quid a month deal with a top end phone. Seriously shoddy.

Who's the geek squad

wisewood
15-11-12, 10:11 PM
A sort of technical gadget helpline thing. I cant remember exactly which one they use. But they sign you up by default when you order. Free month and then paid six months in advance. Its crap. Nothing you cant get answers for at no cost online.

Chay84
15-11-12, 10:14 PM
Just looked there bit pricey @ mobiles.co.uk for the monthly tariff

John
15-11-12, 10:17 PM
What's your reasons for getting one over the S3 then?

*without entering into big i-phone5 debate*

1, S3 isn't on the audi approved phone list, hence pointless me having one for testing bluetooth/wireless streaming etc.
2, it's too big, (personal preference)
3, cba to swap my music back to wmp after just getting used to i-tunes (yes i know there are programmes availble but i really cba!)

:)

Benn
15-11-12, 10:20 PM
John, surely you have your music saved in folders some where tho? Not just in Itunes...

S3 you just drag and drop it...

Novasport
15-11-12, 10:24 PM
OK, just looking at both sides.

Fcuk using my own for work, if they want a test phone let them get their own!
Size wise, yes they are slightly bigger(Not as much as I thought when compared back to back) but the far superior display makes up for it. I felt the iPhone screen wasn't big enough and quality not as good as I thought it would be :(

Novasport
15-11-12, 10:26 PM
I have been told you cannot Bluetooth pics etc from an iPhone to a laptop or other device. That is just poor if you can't!

wisewood
15-11-12, 10:34 PM
Mrs wisewood has an iphone so we use itunes. Doesnt stop me moving music onto my android phone though. And if I buy music its usually from amazon and then added to itunes. It really doesnt need you to move away from itunes if you ditch the iphone.

John
15-11-12, 10:49 PM
John, surely you have your music saved in folders some where tho? Not just in Itunes...

S3 you just drag and drop it...

If I bought an s3, I couldn't drag and drop from i tunes. Nope, music isn't saved anywhere else (apart from on cd's upstairs in the spare room lol)

John
15-11-12, 10:53 PM
I have been told you cannot Bluetooth pics etc from an iPhone to a laptop or other device. That is just poor if you can't!

This is correct. (There are ways around it though)

hendrix
15-11-12, 10:54 PM
I like my iFail 4s very much but it's a vast upgrade from an n95 lol. Mrs has just got a htc.
I see no prob with my camera though and works great with my stereo in the car for streaming and making calls

Novasport
15-11-12, 11:00 PM
This is correct. (There are ways around it though)

Seems poor that. Taking away a key function then having to make a way around it to get it to work how it should.

hendrix
15-11-12, 11:02 PM
The ringtone thing pisses me off though

John
15-11-12, 11:11 PM
Seems poor that. Taking away a key function then having to make a way around it to get it to work how it should.

Has never bothered me tbh. If I wanna put pics on my laptop I just plug in via usb, or use iCloud, or photo bucket app.

John
15-11-12, 11:14 PM
The ringtone thing pisses me off though

Again ways around that too. Don't wanna comment too much tho, might be accused of being a blinkered apple "fanboi" lol

Novasport
15-11-12, 11:14 PM
Mmm, just someting I use and I never have a USB lead to hand as the missus cleans up all the time and puts them away!

scott.parker
16-11-12, 12:43 AM
There's simply only a few reasons I stuck with Samsung and got the S3 and that's the fact I hate apples none mixing with anything more apple etc monoplisation, and I never wanted an i phone lol
Had mine a good few months, and love it..

Jack
16-11-12, 07:56 AM
Nope, music isn't saved anywhere else (apart from on cd's upstairs in the spare room lol)
Thats why I hate iTunes - I tried to use it once with an iPood I was given, the first thing it tried to do was grab every piece of music on my computer and shove it into its own archive and format. Hmmmm no thanks lol

Shame really, as it was a 2Gb iPood shuffle, weeny thing so would have been handy for using at the gym. But its so much of a PITA to have to synchronize music vai itunes/winamp etc - its much easier to just mount my phone via USB, drag/drop, unmount, done. My music player apps pick up new music when I tell them to.

Edd
16-11-12, 10:28 AM
I would get a iPhone 5

I have a S2 ATM, it feels so cheap compared to a iPhone

ITunes is easy to use if you set it up right, meaning it won't try and dump all of your stuff on there at once

IMO once you have been using apple stuff for a while it becomes obvious that it's much more user friendly

Ringtones /message tones are easy, just jailbreak /flash the phone, ringtones, ALL apps are free then

wisewood
16-11-12, 11:39 AM
Ringtones /message tones are easy, just jailbreak /flash the phone, ringtones, ALL apps are free then

Simply void your warranty and you can get around all the restrictions that apple put in place to make the device as reliable & user-friendly as possible. Top tip. lol

If i remember right you can change the ring tones in the new versions of iOS. I'm sure my other half changed hers. Can't be certain though.

scott.parker
16-11-12, 11:40 AM
I just don't get apples mentality why would you stop owners users of there phones from downloading content unless I tunes compatible an not allow blutooth sharing again unless between two I phones etc, just seams stupid to me..

Edd
16-11-12, 11:46 AM
Simply void your warranty and you can get around all the restrictions that apple put in place to make the device as reliable & user-friendly as possible. Top tip. lol

If i remember right you can change the ring tones in the new versions of iOS. I'm sure my other half changed hers. Can't be certain though.

It's not illegal and doesn't void the warranty so yes top tip

wisewood
16-11-12, 11:46 AM
The iTunes thing makes sense. Why let people shop easily elsewhere if you can try and cash in even more by keeping them in-house.

But bluetooth, yeah. Thats just silly. Although samsung are just as guilty with their own proprietary sharing ideas. And Sony have never been any good at complying with standards either have they.

John
16-11-12, 12:20 PM
I can honestly say I've never had an issue with the Bluetooth thing. And my 4 isn't jail broken. Ring tones can be downloaded via iTunes for pence. Again I must be getting old, mine us just set to ring, rather than n-dubz etc lol. As most of u know I'm a lazy feck and am anything for an easy life, so I-phones suit me perfectly.

wisewood
16-11-12, 12:25 PM
I found on my Note2 the other day that you can set a custom vibrate pattern ... just set it to record and tap the screen for each vibration, longer press = longer vibration etc. I set the ringtone to some random song off the phone and tapped out a recording to the rhythm of the intro. Completely pointless, but good fun for 20 seconds.

Ever since my daughter was born 5 years ago and the phone rang and woke her up after a few days when we were exhausted, my phone has been on silent mode pretty much all the time. So none of this matters to me when choosing a phone lol

Depends on the nature of the problem you want fixed under warranty. If its something software related rather than hardware, and you've dicked about with the software, they can tell you they're not repairing it for free.

Benn
16-11-12, 12:29 PM
If I bought an s3, I couldn't drag and drop from i tunes. Nope, music isn't saved anywhere else (apart from on cd's upstairs in the spare room lol)

Really? Or that's sh*t. Another reason not to like Itunes then.

wisewood
16-11-12, 12:30 PM
You cant drag FROM iTunes ... ie click the album art in itunes and drag to the phones folder in my computer... but, you can drag and drop from the source folder where the music files are saved. Which is no major hassle if you know where it is. And it isnt hard to figure out.

John
16-11-12, 12:31 PM
Yep! Having spent 2 years getting used to it, I'm not changing back now lol

John
16-11-12, 12:32 PM
As above, my music is only on iTunes, or cd's (remember them?) lol

wisewood
16-11-12, 12:38 PM
iTunes doesn't magically keep a copy of all your music without it being in a directory somewhere. The files are saved somewhere. So you will be able to copy them. If you have imported them into iTunes in a proprietary format that another phone might not want to play with, there's an issue there. But i bet you could get a freeware converter without too much hassle. Or an alternative media player app for the phone that would support them.

wisewood
16-11-12, 12:43 PM
Just double checked. The Android Winamp app (ahhh nostalgia) supports iTunes importing. As do many others (i just happen to have the Winamp one installed).

John
16-11-12, 12:45 PM
Ok cool. I perhaps should have worded it better, ie I only "use" I-tunes not wmp etc. it's not important for me anyway :)

wisewood
16-11-12, 12:52 PM
Just double checked ... copied an iTunes purchased track from the directory over onto my phone. It is playing in winamp (Katy Perry, Teenage Dream ... yes i could have picked a better one lol). And its now playing in the built in music player app.

So no reason to let all your tracks being in iTunes format put you off switching away from the fruit factory in future :)

brainsnova
16-11-12, 12:57 PM
iTunes sucks it's slow, basic /waste of time. I like the idea of drag and drop like other mobiles

wisewood
16-11-12, 01:00 PM
Ears feel unclean after Katy Perry. Foo Fighters should flush it out

Paul
16-11-12, 01:21 PM
I have an iphone4. Had iphones for 5 years or so. Never looked back. My mates havr got htc's/samsungs. They all want an iphone.

Mines had a new screen 3/4 new backs. Been in the bath twice and its still fine. Im not getting the 5 its more like a 4ss.

Iphones are so easy to use, tap what you want to open. No complicated menu.

Itunes is easy to use.

Im not 13, so having a custom ringtone doesn't bother me.

Jack
16-11-12, 04:13 PM
Both are a grey area AFAIK. Seems to be a bit hit and miss if Apple will warranty a phone if they know its been jailbroken. As for legality, that all depends on intent - I think if you're breaking it with the intention of running paid-for apps without paying for them...

just jailbreak /flash the phone, ringtones, ALL apps are free then
...so yes lol, then its a dodgy area.

wisewood
16-11-12, 05:17 PM
PNG would like to distance itself from any suggestions of piracy... view of the member, not the club, etc. [/legal]

joff-turbo-nova
16-11-12, 05:17 PM
I'm up for renewal at the moment - currently running an Nokia C6 for the last 18 months without trouble.

The wife's nagging to get an ipad, which I can't really see the need, but spotted this deal from carphone wearhouse :-

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/buy/SAMSUNG_GALAXY_ACE_KM043_S7TS?intcmp=FG_Nov_SamBun dle

Not sure how the Galaxy Ace shapes up or the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 either . Not bothered about the 2 year tie in as long as the phone is reasonable.

Joff

wisewood
16-11-12, 05:30 PM
Galaxy Tab 2 is "ok" but about a year old now i think. Nowhere near as good as the Nexus 7 in terms of specs, or Android version. Galaxy Ace, well... it depends whether you want a higher end phone or not.

Mike
18-11-12, 04:50 PM
Right so. Mrs Mike picked up an ifail5 today. after having a play with it its basically an over hyped Samsung S2 with an enourmous scene tax.

Edd
18-11-12, 05:15 PM
She probably wanted

A much higher quality product
That won't have a over complicated Android operating system
A screen that is unlikely to scratch so easy

iPhone is better in every way, I can say that as I have a S2, which I will have great pleasure in smashing to bits when my contract is up lol it will probably fall to bits before that tho lol

Do it right the first time and pay a little more for the best

John
18-11-12, 06:22 PM
Right so. Mrs Mike picked up an ifail5 today. after having a play with it its basically an over hyped Samsung S2 with an enourmous scene tax.

Why did you let her get an iPhone over an s2 then? lol

burgo
18-11-12, 06:40 PM
She probably wanted

A much higher quality product

iPhone is better in every way, I can say that as I have a S2, which I will have great pleasure in smashing to bits when my contract is up lol it will probably fall to bits before that tho lol

Do it right the first time and pay a little more for the best
I have been an apple fan since getting tan her iPad however the moment I opened the box of the s3 I knew I had made the right decision. It's dripping in quality feeling. To say an iPhone is better than an s3 because you have an s2 completely voids your opinion as the s3 is in another league compared to the s2. Unlike the iPhone's Samsung actually change the design and spec.

As for the screen a protector voids this comparison also

scott.parker
18-11-12, 07:00 PM
The S3 the best none scratch screen avaliable on a phone to date, I think the only way you would scratch it is if you intentionally dragged a diamond ring over it..

Benn
18-11-12, 07:03 PM

Do you really find it complicated? That amazes me, really does.

I didn't think any of the touch screens would scratch now....

phazer
18-11-12, 07:06 PM
I have been an apple fan since getting tan her iPad however the moment I opened the box of the s3 I knew I had made the right decision. It's dripping in quality feeling. To say an iPhone is better than an s3 because you have an s2 completely voids your opinion as the s3 is in another league compared to the s2. Unlike the iPhone's Samsung actually change the design and spec.

As for the screen a protector voids this comparison also

^ This. BTW who uses a crappy screen protector on gorilla glass screens? when a) anything that can scratch the glass will go through the protector and scratch it anyway b) the protector kills the screen clarity and colour and desensitises the touch screen. This applies to i devices too.

That said my S2 is absolutely fine, still looks brand new after 1.5 years. oh and Samsung have ported most of the new S3 features to the jelly bean update for the S2, happy days :)

Mike
18-11-12, 07:31 PM
Why did you let her get an iPhone over an s2 then? lol

Her choice not mine.

And guess what, its faulty already lol lol lol video call thing doesnt work as the camera cuts out lol lol

Ive had a play about with it, what a faf sync'ing it to a pc/itunes! And shes been an iFail fan since the original iPhone & even she struggled to sync it :S

And she wasnt amused at the lack of blue tooth compatability.

And another thing thats shes properly pi55ed about, it doesnt work with her Bose iPod dock as the connection on an iPhone5 is completely different to that of any other Apple product (iPod/iPhone).

Anyway, other then that, its not *that* bad for £40 a month, unl text, unl calls, 2gB data. £25 up front for the phone. Orange wanted a staggering £120 up front & could only offer 500mb, 600mins, unl texts for £32 (IIRC?).

Edd, if you find andriod complicated then you really must be something speshal :eek: Hell even I can work that & I struggle with Windows Excell FFS!

Saying that I can use things like AutoCad & CNC machines with ease so I suppose its swings & roundabouts lol

turbojolt
18-11-12, 07:36 PM
it speaks volumes to me that my brother, who has owned every iphone since they came out, had a play on the iphone 5 and didnt bover buying it and got the s3 insteed

Mike
18-11-12, 07:38 PM
it speaks volumes to me that my brother, who has owned every iphone since they came out, had a play on the iphone 5 and didnt bover buying it and got the s3 insteed

I did notice a lot of the staff in the Phones4U & also the Orange store in the Bullring had S3's also.

Pistol Pete
18-11-12, 07:45 PM
I had an iphone 3gs. Renewal time came and I was not paying for the handset plus contract. Got a HTC desire s....never looked back. Will either get the latest HTC or the Samsung s3 (my mates got one, ace phone) come renewal.

Mike
18-11-12, 08:15 PM
Ill probably opt for the S3 when I come to renew also.

These i5's though, there alright like, and well thats about it. Definetly not worth what there currently selling for on eBay/Amazon etc though! Even the guy in the Orange store agreed with me on that.

Adam
25-11-12, 03:05 PM
Slightly old thread but anyway.
Ive just upgraded to a S3, stunning phone IMO!
Paying £28 a month, free phone.

And yes its in a different league compared to a S1/S2.
I did have a S1 and since having S3 am wondering how i managed with the laggy-ness of the S1! lol

And S3 over Iphone all day!

Novasport
25-11-12, 03:59 PM
I have just upgraded and decided to go for a Galaxy S3 and I am very impressed. It is a superb handset and most of the staff at E E said the S3 was the better phone.