PDA

View Full Version : Electric supercharger

marc69
15-11-12, 07:05 PM
I was thinking of getting one of these. Basically it is advbertised as running off the battery and uses sensor feeds from injection cars. They claim it adds 10%. It sits as an induction kit and runs a fan forcing air in the intake, the injection ecu then adjusts the fuel mix etc

I contacted the company who said it will work fine in a carb car with no sensors?

Has anyone done this and do they work?

Royston
15-11-12, 07:15 PM
:roll:

Connor
15-11-12, 07:18 PM
http://i.qkme.me/eb6.jpg

16v Nova Kev
15-11-12, 07:30 PM
Really? Think about it for 30 seconds

Southie
15-11-12, 07:33 PM
One of these :eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00742ET9A/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/277-0985170-6286123

16xe_chris
15-11-12, 07:39 PM
Try your mothers hair drier first whilst its on the drive and you might see the same effect as a 12v version, but it will save you a few quid, if it works get a 12v inverter for the cig lighter and jobs a good one.

16xe_chris
15-11-12, 07:40 PM
Make sure you put it on cold though for extra hair powers

Southie
15-11-12, 07:41 PM
I like the sound of EHP, it's a cut above the rest lol

mr b
15-11-12, 07:41 PM
Put the petrol tank on the roof then the fuel will get into the engine quicker or may be put bigger tyres on the back then the car will always be going down hill

paul james
15-11-12, 07:59 PM
You know the old saying, if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is. Well when it comes to car modifications, it DEFINITELY is too good to be true.

If there were a simple and cheaper way of adding a supercharger, then you wouldn't even need to ask about this as everyone would be buying them and recommending it. A 12v fan in your air supply will give as much of an performance enhancement as go fast stripes stuck on the side of the car.

mowgli
15-11-12, 08:28 PM
i posted this in 2008........

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?91428-the-truth-about-electric-superchargers

never ever ever buy one, unless you own a grp boat.

ps. i've been having a row with an ebay seller over those metal thingy's that go in the fuel line with a 'catalyst' in them.... i pointed out that they were a quack device & originally sold for 'unleaded conversions' yet now they are sold as a performance/economy aid, & they also clean up the emissions by reducing carbon in the engine, and work with both diesel & petrol...i basically told the bloke that as both diesel & petrol were hydrocarbon fuels, it was physically impossible to reduce the carbon..thus he had mastered communication by sphincter, he is now trying to tell me that my 12L scania wagon will benefit from one & my high flow common rail fuel system won't be restricted by fitting a metal sleeve with several ball bearings inside it & the jubilee clips will hold it ok....according to his feedback, he sells thousands of them...

Mike
15-11-12, 08:33 PM
What you need to do is fold the rear seats down to lower the centre of gravity :thumb:

Southie
15-11-12, 08:34 PM
A big poo sometimes also helps.

mowgli
15-11-12, 08:42 PM

it always helps...lol

16xe_chris
15-11-12, 09:24 PM

Not whilst your driving due to skid marks

16xe_chris
15-11-12, 09:26 PM
If you rock yourself backwards and forwards whilst driving you can feel the added power surges just like go kart racers :thumb:

Stuart
15-11-12, 10:21 PM
Ever wish you never started a thread lol

16v Nova Kev
15-11-12, 10:31 PM
I think we lost him lol

marc69
15-11-12, 10:47 PM
Point taken, save my pennies!!!!

Jon_nova1
16-11-12, 05:42 PM
OK, since i've lolled enough at the replies rather than make up another i'll explain why its a bad idea...

Your engine creates more of a vacuum than the fan produces positive pressure, so you have your inlet valves opening and pulling air through and a fan on the end pushing the air at half the speed. As soon as the speed that air can be sucked in surpasses the speed the fan can blow air in, the fan itself will turn into a restriction

.....Why not just attach a leaf blower to it? lol

mowgli
16-11-12, 05:44 PM
you get nothing for nothing in this world jon_nova1... a supercharger will need 50hp to turn it for a net output of 50 extra hp...have you seen what 50hp electric motors look like?? yup, they are the same size as 50hp petrol engines

Jon_nova1
16-11-12, 05:50 PM
i have no idea whether you didn't read my post right or whether your furthering my explanation, but your right, the only way to get something for nothing is to up the boost on a proper charger lol

vauxluva
16-11-12, 05:55 PM
We can all take the piss but at least he asked before he got rip't.I hate scammers but they can still get away ripping genuine guys off.Not every one is a master mechanic.

mowgli
16-11-12, 05:56 PM
i've been a critic of these quack devices since they started re-appearing in the 80's.....having read old car mags, this sort of crap was around from the invention of the car but gets rediscovered every 10 or so years.

my standard response to people selling them is 'if they are so good, why don't any manufacturers fit them??' that usually sets them off in a rant about global conspiracies about fuel sales or the shut up & go red in the face....

mowgli
16-11-12, 05:58 PM
We can all take the piss but at least he asked before he got rip't.I hate scammers but they can still get away ripping genuine guys off.Not every one is a master mechanic.

luckily, nobody has dared post a pic of one fitted to their nova.....yet

therealnovaboy
16-11-12, 09:44 PM
you get nothing for nothing in this world jon_nova1... a supercharger will need 50hp to turn it for a net output of 50 extra hp...have you seen what 50hp electric motors look like?? yup, they are the same size as 50hp petrol engines

yeah, youd be better strapping a petrol leaf blower to the airbox.

Stuart
16-11-12, 10:21 PM

Not quite.... But let's not get into facts lol

Edd
16-11-12, 10:23 PM
yeah, youd be better strapping a petrol leaf blower to the airbox.

now there's a idea ...

pie
16-11-12, 11:35 PM
just logged on & wtf f lol lol

turbojolt
17-11-12, 12:14 AM
i dont see any need to be rude or insulting about this, clearly there is a claim for false advertising here, dont see many people running ubout shouting at spotty teens shouting about how clearseal doesn't work.

the facts are mate they dont work, they have been showen on dynos to reduce power you are better off giving you car a good service with the money they cost, i had a little punto 1.2 and as stupid as it sound it use to struggle up hills, after a engine flush new oil, filters and plugs it felt much more lively and responsive

marc69
17-11-12, 12:27 AM
Yes, it did seem to good to be true but I am very ignorant-although at least I asked before I bought it. It seems that going on a diet and loosing the two stone that I need to loose would give a far bigger boost!!!

Given everyone a laugh and learnt more along the way, at least now when I say i am a bit stupid people wiill actually believe me.

Connor
17-11-12, 01:05 PM
Ahh your not stupid mate, the stupid people are the ones that dont take peoples advice and buy it regardless. Its easy to see how people are tricked into the bs the manufactures claim though.

mowgli
18-11-12, 08:33 PM
Not quite.... But let's not get into facts lol

imho if you could make up a dyno test on a 1600 like the yanks used to do, with a supercharger powered externally so you only measure the crank output with no net losses, it would be producing about 100hp over std output, but if you measured the correct output with all net losses, it would make about 50 hp over std.. i was using it as a ballpark figure

we have a 30kw 3phase motor on our log machine. its about the same size as a 3 pot corsa engine. that is all

Stuart
18-11-12, 08:53 PM
Ahh, retro motors... Yes they are huge.
We are using two 750nm@2000rpm motors in a car, they are 100mm thick and smaller than a 16"rim in diameter. Next car will be rocking 4 slices :)

As a guides, the z22se when supercharged with the gm kit it takes 30bhp to run the charger when making 250bhp at the flywheel (so the pistons and rods will be seeing circa 300bhp). Note a turbo also costs power to run but people never think about it lol

mowgli
19-11-12, 12:36 PM
its a lot harder to try & calculate the power loss on a turbo because the kit needed to measure it would be rather complicated i'd imagine..

are these motors running with 'superconductor' stuff then??

have either f1 kers or lmp hybrid helped to push the technology along?

Stuart
19-11-12, 12:56 PM
not really, it was being pushed along quite nicely by the automotive industry by itself without needing F1 to wade in a ruin everything lol.

mowgli
19-11-12, 01:03 PM
i'm still waiting for decent kinetic recovery systems on buses, trains & trucks...whoever cracks that market will be rolling in money.