PDA

View Full Version : Oil light on hard cornering.

marc69
12-11-12, 11:12 PM
I noticed the last track day at Knockhill when I was cornering to the left very hard, the oil light would occasionally flicker. The level was fine.

Is this just because the oil had all swung over momentarilly or is there a bigger problem pending?

Nova_Tek
12-11-12, 11:54 PM
I've had that once before in the Nova (1.2) one hard right cornering even when the level was fine.

What engine is it? Is the sump baffled?

mowgli
13-11-12, 06:30 AM
it could be a loose wire connection. do you have an oil pressure gauge fitted, or just the light??

it could be that you are using oil that is too thin a grade, or that there is crud all over the gauze on the inlet pipe

marc69
13-11-12, 03:24 PM
Its a 1.4. the oil pressure gauge sender packed up so it's just the ordinary oil warning light now.

The oil does get overheated as sometimes by the time I get off the track, the tappets are noisey, left for 30 minutes they are fine again.

Is this likely to be causing harm or will it be ok if I don't over do it?

kent14sr
13-11-12, 04:55 PM
Probably the oil getting thinner as it gets hot, causing it to swish around the sump easier.

When you corner it goes to one side of the sump so the oil pump is getting insufficient oil via the pickup in the sump so reporting low oil pressure via the gauge.

Will F
14-11-12, 09:11 PM
Get an oil cooler and/or a baffled sump. The x16xe had one as standard and they bolt straight on!