PDA

View Full Version : Electrical fault

Jack
11-11-12, 06:15 PM
Yes this is the Celica but electrics are electrics, right? lol

Got the GT4 back from the bodyshop (where they were welding a couple patches on the rear arches) but something has happened to the electrics. Battery was flat when we picked it up, so they used a battery booster to get it going then left the car idling whilst they washed it off. Drove it home and everything was Ok except I noticed the alarm light was on constantly, the fog light button wasn't illuminated, and the engine warning light was on (although this is normal if the car is left to idle in the cold as its a common fault with the chargecooler coolant sensor, so just assumed it was that).

Got home and went to reverse onto the drive, then realised the electric windows weren't working, nor the reverse lights or the rear fog (stop and tail were still working, and the rear fog uses the same bulb as the inner stop/tail). The dials also stopped working, engine warning light stopped working. Also noticed handbrake light has failed. Dials were still illuminated though.

Eventually the dials start to dim and the battery goes kaput. Put the battery on charge for a bit, had a nose around and noticed the reverse light wire had been pinched and shorted out where they'd removed and put the rear lights back on, so taped that up as a quick fix.

Got the battery back to ~12.5v, put it back on, car starts fine but still no dials or reverse lights, windows, etc. Put the multimeter across the terminals and its reading about 12v - rev the car to ~3000rpm and the volts drop to 8.

I've tried the multimeter on the battery terminals with the battery removed, and its showing little resistance from + to - with everything off. So does that indicate a short? I've unplugged everything to try and isolate the issue, but then it showed low resistance, then the numbers zipped up quite high.

I can't see any burnt wires, all the fuses and relays appear Ok. The alternator looks Ok, but if that was goosed would it cause problems like grounding out the electrics? Made no difference if I disconnected its earth cable.

Bit stumped really :confused:

General Baxter
11-11-12, 06:29 PM
do they have a CCM unit like on my passat,

has your car been welded? ccm fried? <--- reading fail lol

Mike
11-11-12, 06:43 PM
has your car been welded? ccm fried? <--- reading fail lol

This.

Jack
11-11-12, 07:21 PM
ccm?

Mike
11-11-12, 07:23 PM
Comfort Control Module

http://www.headfuzz.co.uk/vw_ccm

Jack
11-11-12, 07:26 PM
Ahhh lol I dont recall seeing anything that funky on the wiring diagrams but will take another look...