PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Carburettor Info for 86 Nova

plumtreed
10-11-12, 09:18 AM
It is up and running OK but the carburettor leaks and won't pass MOT until that is fixed. It is in the hands of the local Vauxhall dealer and they insist that real cars don't use carbys..... i think a cover up to their lack of 'no-how'.

My suspicion is a sticking float valve/jet .....and I would use carburettor cleaner initially but since I don't have the car I have to let them tinker with it.

Is there a good source for 'rebuilt' carbs in the Southampton are.......I live in the UK only about 3-4 month a year and don't know the area that well. I may need a source for parts, too?

Car is a very low miles 86 Nova Merit 1196cc manual

marc69
10-11-12, 10:51 AM
The best cars use carbs!!!!

It will probably be easier to advertise here to get a good used piergerg 1b1.
Remove the car from the vauxhall dealer, fit the carb yourself.

A few years ago a vauxhall dealer insisted on plugging into the diagnostic system in my 1984 1.0 ohv nova (cost 150) despite the fact it runs on points etc and has no ecu!

plumtreed
10-11-12, 11:57 AM
Thanks Marc69, Piergerg 1b1, is that a replacement or improvement.......I think your advise to bring it 'home' is what I need to do at this stage.....but isn't there a 'place' where I could just buy one off-the-shelf? I guess that is a Pierburg 1b1???

In fact, I think I might just remove it from the dealer and do a little hands-on work myself!

mowgli
10-11-12, 10:28 PM
get in touch with elringparts (http://www.elringparts.co.uk/contact-us/)

they are the uk agent for pierburg carbs.. ask them who your local stockist/service centre is...

the gm main stealer won't have a clue what to do with a carb....

plumtreed
11-11-12, 08:18 AM
the gm main stealer won't have a clue what to do with a carb.... ....it is as if the car just arrived from another planet!

......thanks for the tip about elringparts

vauxluva
11-11-12, 10:21 AM
the 1e has nothing to it, just buy a recon kit do it yourself, I have always refurb,d all my own carbs its not rocket science.

vauxluva
11-11-12, 10:23 AM
or just ditch it and use the twin choke 2e much better imo!!

mowgli
11-11-12, 12:59 PM
or just ditch it and use the twin choke 2e much better imo!!

wholly unnecessary on a 1.2 imo, and you'd need the different manifold, and then have troubel with the autochoke & using too much petrol

plumtreed
11-11-12, 06:41 PM
I'm going to pick the car up tomorrow and fix it myself........probably a kit will be necessary.

I want to keep this car as 'original' as possible so I don't want to do an upgrade. Many thanks for your suggestion tho.

Very fond of this thing and It will probably be a keeper even if we get something newer.

marc69
11-11-12, 08:17 PM
I think the 1b1 is the type of carb, it will say on it. yes as has been said, a refurb kit or replacement carb. Get a haynes manual, £15 will save you hundreds.
With older engines it is quicker to fix yourself than dealing with garages. They are very easy, even I have done some repairs with success!

plumtreed
12-11-12, 10:39 PM
Thanks everybody, fixed a leak with some silicon sealer and all is OK......MOT'd and back on the road!