PDA

View Full Version : Corsa c epas wiring

skud52
09-11-12, 02:07 PM
Planning on fitting a corsa c epas and unsure what i need to get and what to do wiring wise. Found alot of conflicting info on the net so thought id just ask here for someone that has done it

Any help appreciated

Cheers Ben

Southie
09-11-12, 02:49 PM
Give kenny_afh a PM, he had one fitted on his... here's his old for sale advert to maybe give you an idea on what's needed :)

CLICKYME (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?172840-corsa-C-epas-column-modified-to-fit-directly-into-a-nova&)

kenny_afh
11-11-12, 01:23 PM
just seen this by chance. surprised to see my name!

the one in that ad had been modified by someone else, using the mounts off a standard nova column. i dont know the exact measurements needed but it would be easy enough to mock it up in situ to tack the bracket into place. otherwise you need to modify the mounts on the shell to suit.

wiring wise you need to get an ecu unit with the column, quite easy with a corsa C column as its bolted to the unit, and the wiring plugs off the corsa. you will also need to get a control unit for it, which are widely available on ebay for not alot of money. these usually come with a wiring guide and diagram too which is handy. after the control unit is connected in i think there is only an earth, a constant live and a switched live wire to connect.

i would highly recommend this mod to anyone tho, these columns are very good and give a very noticeable difference. plus the assistance is fully adjustable.

skud52
11-11-12, 04:57 PM
Thats brilliant, cheers mate

mowgli
11-11-12, 05:15 PM
so let me get this right.. is a corsa c column with epas an easier/better fit than a corsa b one?

skud52
11-11-12, 05:24 PM
so let me get this right.. is a corsa c column with epas an easier/better fit than a corsa b one?

i was under the impression the unit is more reliable, also more readily available from what i have found

kenny_afh
11-11-12, 07:26 PM
id say they are much the same as each other really as both will need modifications to fit. either will need brackets fabricated or modifying the mountings on the shell or column. regardless of how you do it i would say you will need a welder at some point.

mowgli
11-11-12, 08:20 PM
id say they are much the same as each other really as both will need modifications to fit. either will need brackets fabricated or modifying the mountings on the shell or column. regardless of how you do it i would say you will need a welder at some point.

i'm odd.... i don't like drilling holes in my nova unless it is totally necessary... if i do this i'll be making brackets up that can be taken out..

marcel
11-11-12, 09:29 PM

Hi,

i have fitted the corsa b column in my corsa a/ nova, because the connection to the steering gear ist plug an play. the corsa c column has a other conection to the steering gear and so you must make an adapter for it and its longer as the corsa b column.

Edd
11-11-12, 09:32 PM
If you get a corsa C column a Nova steering wheel won't fit

Whichever column you fit, brackets and holes are needed

Wiring wise 5 wires are needed

Power and earth take care of 2
black to ignition live
Green to revs
Blue with red stripe to controller or get a AK 15imp SPI transducer and fit that if you want variable resistance without the controller

I have spent hours and hours fitting mine so that it looks factory few more hours and it should be done

skud52
12-11-12, 10:25 AM
If you get a corsa C column a Nova steering wheel won't fit

Whichever column you fit, brackets and holes are needed

Wiring wise 5 wires are needed

Power and earth take care of 2
black to ignition live
Green to revs
Blue with red stripe to controller or get a AK 15imp SPI transducer and fit that if you want variable resistance without the controller

I have spent hours and hours fitting mine so that it looks factory few more hours and it should be done

Have you wired in a fuse anywhere?

marcel
12-11-12, 11:08 PM
Yes you need a 50 Ampere fuse in the plus wire

edit:
sorry, i was to late ;)

Edd
12-11-12, 11:08 PM
As recommended by other users I have fitted a large 50amp maxi fuse (from the large red wire that goes to the positive on the battery )

skud52
13-11-12, 06:09 AM
Ok cheers, ive ordered a fuse. I take it the main power wire is 1 of the thicker wired in the 2 pin plug that goes to the ecu (the other being earth?) and then the ebay control module connects to the plug next to that on the ecu?

Also how is the steering lock removed or is it possible to use the corsa ignition barrel?

Cheers for all the help so far

Iain
13-11-12, 09:51 AM
The control module should give a wiring diagram for what to connect where, if you haven't ordered it yet

skud52
13-11-12, 10:39 AM
Yea ive ordered it but from what i can see it doesnt come with a plug for power to to ecu and the column didnt either, also corsa c's are pretty rare in the scrappy round here so trying to find out as much as i can

Seen what lools like the power plug on ebay for about 8 quid tho??

Cheers, Ben

Harvey
13-11-12, 12:45 PM
I fitted Corsa C EPAS earlier this year to my Astra mk2, best mod I've ever fitted as a manual quick rack (2.5 turns lock-to-lock) with no assistance isn't fun now I'm old.

Your Corsa ignition barrel will fit the Corsa C so no mods required there.

Your original steering wheel won't fit. I got an eKtor aftermarket boss. Search Google for 'eKtor boss' and part number you'll need is 1543 and they fit the Corsa C, Astra G, Zafira A. Expect to pay around £30 delivered.

As for the wiring all you need is:
Thick red to battery, use 50amp maxi fuse (blue plug)
Thick brown to earth near EPAS column (blue plug)
Black to ignition +ve (white plug)
Blue/red to speed feed, aftermarket controller or gearbox transducer
Green to rpm feed, aftermarket controller or rear of dash if using transducer

Aftermarket controllers can be had from this seller, it's who I got mine from, click me (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Electric-Steering-4U?_trksid=p2047675.l2563). Only took 3 days to arrive.

You can have a read of how I fitted mine over on Astra-mk2.com click me (http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/showthread.php?2827-GTE-valver-fast-road-track-car-project/page144). Mine was mounted so I could easily go back to a standard column if I needed to but I doubt that will ever happen now as I love the EPAS.

Harvey
13-11-12, 12:49 PM
If you didn't get the Corsa C EPAS main power loom plug with your column you could try AVS (All Vauxhall Spares) who are in Dunkirk Nottingham as they always have Corsa C in their yard, phone number is 0115 9244600. The controller will come with the white plug from the seller I mention above.

skud52
13-11-12, 12:53 PM
thats really helpfull, cheers

Your Corsa ignition barrel will fit the Corsa C so no mods required there.

I was more thinking the wiring side to this as the plug for the nova and corsa c are very different, however wire wise surely cant be much difference??

Cheers

skud52
13-11-12, 12:54 PM
If you didn't get the Corsa C EPAS main power loom plug with your column you could try AVS (All Vauxhall Spares) who are in Dunkirk Nottingham as they always have Corsa C in their yard, phone number is 0115 9244600. The controller will come with the white plug from the seller I mention above.

Yea i thought that, i did get the column from megavaux in stabbo so i guess i could try there aswell

Iain
13-11-12, 12:58 PM
Big row of Corsa C's in Deatons up in Chesterfield, although they can be funny about removing plugs and small stuff

skud52
13-11-12, 01:02 PM
Big row of Corsa C's in Deatons up in Chesterfield, although they can be funny about removing plugs and small stuff

Little bit out of my way really mate im in long eaton, cheers for the info tho if i do get stuck

Harvey
13-11-12, 01:05 PM
I was more thinking the wiring side to this as the plug for the nova and corsa c are very different, however wire wise surely cant be much difference??

I believe you will find they are very similar. Just make sure you solder the wires to get a better connection, don't just use inline crimp connectors.

Yea i thought that, i did get the column from megavaux in stabbo so i guess i could try there aswell

I find Megavaux a bit over priced but AVS you can easily barter with plus they let you go into the yard and remove the parts yourself.

skud52
13-11-12, 01:09 PM
I believe you will find they are very similar. Just make sure you solder the wires to get a better connection, don't just use inline crimp connectors.

I find Megavaux a bit over priced but AVS you can easily barter with plus they let you go into the yard and remove the parts yourself.

I'll bear that in mind for future, cheers very much

Harvey
13-11-12, 01:13 PM
Just buzz out the Corsa C ignition switch as I'm sure you'll find the pinouts to be the same if not very similar to the Nova. Your stalks will also fit the Corsa C mounts but you may have to Dremel the plastic to get the indicator to click in, it's detailed in my diary I believe.

skud52
13-11-12, 01:18 PM
Just buzz out the Corsa C ignition switch as I'm sure you'll find the pinouts to be the same if not very similar to the Nova. Your stalks will also fit the Corsa C mounts but you may have to Dremel the plastic to get the indicator to click in, it's detailed in my diary I believe.

Ahh brilliant, cheers