PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox bearing removal

jeremy fisher
07-11-12, 07:13 PM
Hi, anyone have any tips on how to remove the bearings from the diff and the rest of the gearbox? I have a few ideas on getting them out of blind holes from searching the net but the ones on the diff barely have a lip to get a puller on.
Thanks
Nick

Mincyballs
10-11-12, 07:50 PM
weld a small bar to it and use a slide hammer maybe?

mowgli
10-11-12, 10:22 PM
small knuckle bars. and if that doesn't work, then try a fantastic old school trick.. measure the inside of the bearing (or outside diameter of the shaft, and make up a piece of wood the same size, something like a brush handle is fine. put a load of grease into the bearing, then locate the piece of wood into the hole, and whack it with a hammer.. the grease can't compress & the hydraulic pressure will force the bearing outof the hole...

as for the diff bearings, you may need a puller with 2 x 1/2 circle pieces (see bottom right of pic below) to clamp behind the bearing

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVSjqTCIr4q7kEkvYcZnJRhkyRFqzp2 D6q5sPIJNcdaGAz3p5Ukg

jeremy fisher
14-11-12, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the ideas. The hydraulic trick for blind holes sounds like a good'n and thats what I got from my research ont web. I considered welding but am hesitant as its a quaife diff and I don't really want any spatter to find its way into it. I tried making a puller but after 2 days 'engineering' the bearings just laughed at me!!
Think I may have to buy myself a puller. I have also read many threads asking about buying diff bearings and people being told to just try a bearing place rather than paying main stealer prices. I did that and was told that the bearings are obselete and there are no equivilent!!
Nothing's easy is it!!

garyc
14-11-12, 06:18 PM
Look on eBay for diff bearings. If u get stuck I have one in the garage I can get the SKF number.

jeremy fisher
20-11-12, 06:22 PM
Thanks. They only sell full kits on ebay and I think I'm goin to leave the rest of the 'box alone now and just do the diff but emailed them and found they have a website with more options.
www.transmission-rebuild-kits.co.uk (http://www.transmission-rebuild-kits.co.uk)
Very usefull.