PDA

View Full Version : Air Mass Meter??

r.wadge
06-11-12, 06:39 PM
Got a problem with my nova c20xe idle, when cold it nearly cuts out, then goes up to about 2k then comes down, then keeps going like that until warm. Once is warm the idle fluctuates minimaly. Im guessing this is the air mass meter and can only find one place online. Looking for a realistic price as this one is £170?
http://www.autovaux.co.uk/loadportal.aspx?cnum=11&pnum=AS90510154&tabid=5&vnum=174

Any help will be much appreciated.

joff-turbo-nova
06-11-12, 06:58 PM
Have you tried cleaning out the idle control valve yet? A coked up control valve will make it hunt up and down the revs as you describe.

Whilst your at it you may want to change the coolant temp sensor as well as these are prone to failure as well.

Joff

r.wadge
06-11-12, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reply, i will clean the idle control valve with some alcohol and replace the sensor. Is there a sensor for the ecu and a seperate one for the gauges? Also is this sort of fault related to the air mass meter and is it common?
Thanks again.

joff-turbo-nova
06-11-12, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the reply, i will clean the idle control valve with some alcohol and replace the sensor. Is there a sensor for the ecu and a seperate one for the gauges? Also is this sort of fault related to the air mass meter and is it common?
Thanks again.

There's two separate temp sensors. A single wire one for the guage and a two wire one for the ECU.

Try the idle control valve first - they are tucked up behind the bottom of the inlet manifold - put it on axle stands and reach up from underneath.

joff

John
06-11-12, 10:26 PM
Also check the intake system, especially the sfi donut for leaks.

r.wadge
07-11-12, 01:26 PM
Cheers for the replys. Will try all of this, gota get up behind there due to a unsolvable water leak anyway. Hopefully this time it all comes together lol.

chrisd1986
07-11-12, 01:28 PM
Ive got a air flow meter with sfi donut on it, the car was running fine when i removed it