PDA

View Full Version : Engine and gearbox insertion question

trojanhawrs
03-11-12, 05:22 PM
Having issues attaching my 5 speed box to the engine, and think it would be easier to just take the engine out. The only thing is, Haynes says you cant put the engine and gearbox in together from the top - can you do it from the bottom?

Benn
03-11-12, 05:38 PM
Any nova engine and the xe/let will come out/in from the top easy. Can do fitted from the bottom too.

But if you just trying to get the box on, it might be easest to just lower the pass side down.

mk1nova_rich
03-11-12, 06:06 PM
Ten times easier to go through the bottom...ooo er lol:gay:

hotrod
03-11-12, 06:36 PM
Had the engine and box in and out of mine quite a few times and I've always done it from the bottom! lol

trojanhawrs
03-11-12, 06:50 PM
Alrighty, cheers.
This box has just been a pain in the baws from the word go, fiddly as hell trynna slide the input shaft in - anyway thanks folks, hopefully get it in tomorrow (fingers firmly crossed).

hotrod
03-11-12, 07:06 PM
Is it worth double checking the clutch alignment first?

trojanhawrs
03-11-12, 07:20 PM
Put the (withdrawable) input shaft from my 4 speed in to check alignment before I started.

Did Benn mean lowering pass side of the engine or the car? Tried with engine but I never thought about lowering the car. . .

mk1nova_rich
03-11-12, 07:43 PM
Lower the engine a bit so its on a tilt...have you taken the passenger side tie bar out?

trojanhawrs
03-11-12, 07:47 PM
No - I'll definitely do that tomorrow as well. Its just really awkward to lift the transmission straight up to the bolts due to its shape - but suppose it may be easier to lift by hand with the bar out

mk1nova_rich
03-11-12, 07:56 PM
I'll tell you now there is no way you will get the gearbox in without the tie bar off :thumb: are the mounts on the gearbox already or bolted to the car?

trojanhawrs
03-11-12, 08:04 PM
The rear mount is attached to gearbox, horn mount is off.
Should I take the rear mount off too?

hotrod
03-11-12, 09:12 PM
I would less weight and more manageable! Helps if you got a friend there too so they can steady it from above!

mowgli
03-11-12, 09:37 PM
you could support the engine with a bit of 4x2 timber placed from the bulkhead to the front slam panel with a rope to the lifting eye then there is no need for a jack under the sump

trojanhawrs
03-11-12, 09:56 PM
I would less weight and more manageable! Helps if you got a friend there too so they can steady it from above!

Aye, the tab washers will be a pain in the **** under the car though ^^

you could support the engine with a bit of 4x2 timber placed from the bulkhead to the front slam panel with a rope to the lifting eye then there is no need for a jack under the sump

Sounds like a plan

Thanks a lot lads, will let yas know how i get on tomorrow

mk1nova_rich
03-11-12, 10:40 PM
I leave the mounts bolted to the gearbox, find it much easier

trojanhawrs
04-11-12, 05:09 PM
Eventually got it in, but think I might have snapped the pressure plate :cool:

only time will tell. . .

brainsnova
04-11-12, 05:30 PM
I used to always drop it from above with gearbox already in as I got given a engine hoist any time I needed it. I used to leave it in gear so once the engine was near I could rock the car to align the input shaft and it slid in no problems

mk1nova_rich
04-11-12, 08:08 PM
I once lifted a 1300 in from above with the box already in lol

Benn
04-11-12, 09:04 PM
Sorry yea i did mean tilting the engine down on one side, id hold the engine with a jack, loosen the mounts off so it will lower down.