PDA

View Full Version : AVO Coilovers

Mark
09-08-03, 10:07 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a set, has anyone fitted them to their Nova, what were they like.
I am only interested in the AVO ones.
Does anyone know where I can get a set 'CHEAP'?
Thanks

brian
09-08-03, 11:04 PM
a friend of mine was very happy with them (and he is a fussy sort)
But why are you only interested in avo?

?Marty?
09-08-03, 11:16 PM
cheapest i've seen them for is for ?500.

Was thinking about them myself, but have heard nothing but bad things about them from other people.

Think Rick from this site had some probs with them amongst others?

Mark
10-08-03, 08:44 AM
Kinda messed up here, I was looking at AVO coilovers because I was led to believe that they make rear coilovers aswell, instead of springs and shocks, checked out there product listing and they don't.
SO - Which companies make coilovers front and rear?

Ste_Nova
10-08-03, 08:58 AM
they arn't designed to run low... run them low and they burst

beatin u
10-08-03, 01:45 PM
avo do make front and rear coilys. Apparently the rear ones have a bit of a design fault, they should be able to lower 100mm but when you go down to 80mm they are resting on the bump stops ie. no suspension travel and possibly bursting/damaging the piston.

The VW boys have been using these for years and dont hear much complaint.

other cheep brands are weitec, supersport or spax

red_devil
10-08-03, 02:09 PM
FK Automotive stock the best coilovers for novas with a rear coil which needs little mods to fit...

It still fits in the rear coil slot as on normal nova springs... give them a try coz i aint heard any bad things about them.

Mark
10-08-03, 02:58 PM
Do FK have a website?

djp_y2k
10-08-03, 04:54 PM
I have got avo coil overs, but the not the ones that have rear coilovers.

I've had no problems with them, I heard the avo rear coilovers need to have standard width wheels or spacers otherwise they catch.

Not sure if this is true though.

I want some rear coilovers so would also be interested in wot companies do it.

NovaNeil
10-08-03, 05:13 PM
I have the full Avo Coilover kit and love it! Mine is at least 70-80mm and I still have travel! Fitted some 17" Mille Miglia Spiders on friday and they just (Very just) clear at the back. I have no problem with them running on my 16" Speedlines.
And the backs can go low! Very low, but then you do start running out of travel, but know cares when it looks that good! These Saxos, Clios and 306's and the like are lowered 100mm+ and they have no travel either! At least with coilovers you can adjust them.
Had mine on for nearly a year and not one problem. I paid ?550 from PVD.

And yes you do have to slightly Mod the rear inner arch........With a big hammer :D :P :)

Ben (lurk75)
10-08-03, 11:47 PM
Leeda will suit you best, expensive but the muts nuts for competion etc.

?Marty?
11-08-03, 02:07 AM
FK Automotive stock the best coilovers for novas

Really!? They're only around ?550 too! was just considering purchasing some the other day.

djp_y2k
11-08-03, 07:56 AM
so there arent any pronlems with running the coilovers on the back.

Wot offset are ur wheels?

Mine are 45mm with 8mm spacers.

Mark
11-08-03, 08:05 AM
Where do you get Leeda from Ben?

CP
11-08-03, 08:43 AM
I've got a full set of Avo coilovers alround.

I've made no secret of the fact that I didnt think too much to the design particularly cos the front is a mish mash of the old std Nova parts on top of the coilover which means that you cant lower the front a great deal.

That said now that i have fitted ally turret mounts I can get as low as I practically need. The backs are better in this respect and I have found them very tuneable and useful on track. My car is stripped out and pretty light which helps a lot and I have have no reliability problems but i dont do a lot of mileage in it.

I went and got mine direct from Avo for about ?475 inc VAT :wink:

Jim
11-08-03, 11:49 AM
Those of you intrested in FK Automotive Coilovers, PM MattyWoo. He works for PVD who stock them.

Avo are based in Northampton. I was thinking about going and getting some direct (like CP mentioned) but at the minute theres other things to get done on the car before I look at shelling out ?500 for some susspension.

Jim

Rick Draper
11-08-03, 12:02 PM
IMHO i would run leda shocks and will be doing this when i get round to stripping my avos off my car and ordering my ledas. TBH the avos are wank, you need to spend ?120+ on the TAS motorsport top mounts to let you go anywhere near a low setting which is bollocks. Then if you send them back to have the leaks fixed, you get AVO telling you that having the top adjusters not work is normal arter they have been refurbed and to send them back again to have that problem fixed dont you rob! Rick

Lee H
11-08-03, 12:58 PM
Worst ?500 i've ever spent on my car. Can't run them low as Rick says without either using eccentric top mounts or shorter springs. I kept the standard top mounts and fitted shorter springs which was ok until I fitted the turbo lump and now they are constantly bottoming out as the springs are too short and going coilbound. I now need slightly longer springs to solve this but then car won't go low enough as the adjustor collars catch on my wheels if I try and get it low. Wheel spacers ain't even an option.
They are shite!!

krobinson
11-08-03, 01:52 PM
Hmmm, some good reports and some bad... This quy was running avo coilovers in the front, and custom springs in the rear, so how was he able to go so low at the front for this show? (i realise he has it this low for show only and cant actually drive it)

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/psc/imageup/1060606439__k837frb.jpg

Also, i've got -70mm springs in the front of my nova, but wouldnt mind going a little lower, would these TAS mounts allow me to do this? Would i be able to keep the same height with them, and if i wanted go lower? What way do they work to adjust?

Keith

Mark
11-08-03, 05:29 PM
To be honest I don't really care how much drop they will give me, 30mm will be all I need front and rear, the reason I want coilovers is so that if a spring fails and breaks during a rally it won't simply fall out the back, at least with coilovers if the spring snaps it'll be a rough ride but still a fast ride.
One rear spring snapped after a jump last weekend and no matter what you do, it will still fall out the back at the next jump.

red_devil
11-08-03, 06:50 PM
Mine are et42 with 8mm spacer so i think i might splash out once the interior is sorted....

always wanted to drop my car at weekend for shows

toughy
12-08-03, 08:31 AM
had avo coilovers on the front and avo shocks on the back, front shocks started leaking and stopped working then on the rear adjuster thing seized on one of them shocks so now im running gaz coil overs on the front, dont have rears yet

beatin u
12-08-03, 09:11 AM
where did u get your 'Gaz' shocks from toughy?

how much can you lower them???

:?:

?Marty?
13-08-03, 03:18 AM
If you want to stop springs from falling out, why don't you just use straps? A LOT cheaper.

Mark
13-08-03, 08:07 AM
If you want to stop springs from falling out, why don't you just use straps? A LOT cheaper.
Yeah thanks Marty, I didn't think of that! - The rear is allready strapped, if a spring breaks in two, it still won't stay in!

Ste_Nova
13-08-03, 10:12 AM
Hmmm, some good reports and some bad... This quy was running avo coilovers in the front, and custom springs in the rear, so how was he able to go so low at the front for this show? (i realise he has it this low for show only and cant actually drive it)

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/psc/imageup/1060606439__k837frb.jpg

Also, i've got -70mm springs in the front of my nova, but wouldnt mind going a little lower, would these TAS mounts allow me to do this? Would i be able to keep the same height with them, and if i wanted go lower? What way do they work to adjust?

Keith

avos on the lowest setting......

NovaNeil
13-08-03, 12:42 PM
Theres no denying Novas look Awesome when completely decked! 8)

Im hoping to have mine that low for the PNG national day as I only live 2 mins away from where its being held so I should just be able to drive it there without too much difficulty.

Ste_Nova
13-08-03, 01:08 PM
lol no one will see it..... the png inside display area will be tighter than a edited by admin... u can't put things like that

NovaNeil
13-08-03, 07:20 PM
No, won't be inside area, Outside for me. I like the rain cause it doesn't show up all the dents in the bodywork

Ben (lurk75)
14-08-03, 01:41 AM
lol no one will see it..... the png inside display area will be tighter than a edited by admin... u can't put things like that

LOL @ a very diplomatic Admin member.

Nova's can look good very low but it does cause problems, i also doubt CorsaNova wants it that low as its for his Track car.

toughy
14-08-03, 08:59 PM
fao beatin u, i got my gaz coilovers from AS Performance in birtley, gateshead which is near newcastle on tyne. i dont know how low they can go i dont care. coil overs are for racing purposes only and not designed to be ran on there arses. im running avo springs which are longer than gaz ones and dont bottom out even when there dropped all the way