PDA

View Full Version : Wireless repeaters/bridge/booster help

Mazz
30-10-12, 11:40 AM
I'd like to try and amplify my wifi signal to give a stronger signal upstairs, I've had a quick look and they seem to need an RJ45 Ethernet cable for some reason :confused:

Basically i want one that i can plug in the wall anywhere, that will pick up the wifi, boost it and chuck it out again..does such a thing exist?

hotrod
30-10-12, 12:49 PM
Just had this problem with the inlaws wifi and I had to alter the settings on their router to change the band they operated on. No they have no problem getting signal all over the house and in the garden! ;)

Jack
30-10-12, 01:05 PM
I guess the ethernet cable is mentioned as they're probably thinking about connecting the routers directly to the computer/s. Are you talking about having a standalone wifi router just sat out on its own acting as a range extender?

[edit]

Basically i want one that i can plug in the wall anywhere, that will pick up the wifi, boost it and chuck it out again..does such a thing exist?
Yes (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=3&cp=7&gs_id=1u&xhr=t&q=wifi+range+extender&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=wifi+ra&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3ed6acd9b7efec4d&bpcl=36601534&biw=962&bih=429) lol

mowgli
30-10-12, 09:01 PM
we had similar troubel at my brother's farm when they went wireless in the house, and used our server in the office, cos there was a steel frame in the main part of the house(we think) we just got a long ethernet cable & moved the netgear box to where it worked

L14MNP
30-10-12, 10:35 PM
I have the same problem. My Sky wi-fi doesn't reach the garage, just falls short, or occasionaly I can get one bar, but it drops out often.

I want to be able to stream dnbradio. hotrod, reckon I can twiddle with the settings on the router page and extend the range?

millworm
30-10-12, 10:42 PM
You can buy wifi signal boosters but it's expensive for good ones and don't always work

Mazz
31-10-12, 11:23 AM
I guess the ethernet cable is mentioned as they're probably thinking about connecting the routers directly to the computer/s. Are you talking about having a standalone wifi router just sat out on its own acting as a range extender?

[edit]

Yes (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=3&cp=7&gs_id=1u&xhr=t&q=wifi+range+extender&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=wifi+ra&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=3ed6acd9b7efec4d&bpcl=36601534&biw=962&bih=429) lol

Exactly what i wanted! Now to find one cheaper!!

Kev Turbo
31-10-12, 02:16 PM
Just buy a cheap highpower wireless access point

Something from ubiquti or enginious would be grand :)

mowgli
31-10-12, 03:45 PM
there are boosters that use the 13a ring main....

hotrod
31-10-12, 05:37 PM
I have the same problem. My Sky wi-fi doesn't reach the garage, just falls short, or occasionaly I can get one bar, but it drops out often.

I want to be able to stream dnbradio. hotrod, reckon I can twiddle with the settings on the router page and extend the range?

It worked for the inlaws Sky broadband! She had no signal in the room above her sitting room (where the router is!) Took it off auto and set it to channel 11 I think. Give it a try, if it doesnt work you can always set it back, what you got to loose! ;)

Jack
31-10-12, 08:37 PM
Channel change may help, have a search of your local access points and see if theres a free range.

Orrrr put a pringles tube round your wifi antenna and point it at your PC lol