PDA

View Full Version : C20XE tack car 3rd gear issue.

vx kev
28-10-12, 11:39 AM
Hi guys, just wondering if some of you peeps could give me some advice on an issue i had with my track car.
1st time out on track with this car so obviously i will come across a few issues but basically when driving it hard up to 3rd from 2nd gear, 9 times out of 10 it refused to go into 3rd (very embaressing). The gearbox itself is good, clutch is good and the linkage has a short shift with nylon bushes so that is nice and tight. I tried adjusting the linkage a few times with no difference being made what so ever. It goes into 3rd gear fine when driving normally or when changing slightly slower than you would normally at race pace which wasnt helpful.

Im thinking that the engine mounts are possibly knackered and allowing for too much movement, hence it going into gear fine when driving not so hard but cant be too sure.
So thinking about just putting solid mounts on it in a bid to solve the problem but any advice would be much appreciated.

Nobby
28-10-12, 11:32 PM
2nd to 3rd syncro fuked?

vx kev
29-10-12, 11:40 AM
Possibility that but would it not have issues changing all the time then rather than only when driven hard??

Adam
29-10-12, 04:59 PM
Bin the short shift and try it then.
Short shift and hard shifting means the synchros havent got as much time as normal to "match" speeds and select a gear. Hence why its ok with normal driving.

vx kev
29-10-12, 07:36 PM
Good point that Adam, is worth a shot and something i would never have thought of :thumb:

16v Nova Kev
29-10-12, 07:53 PM
If your looking for a box pm me

Will F
29-10-12, 09:46 PM
Engine mounts, I had the same issue, under hard acceleration the engine is shifted back toward the bulk head and the release of torque when you release the throttle throws the weight forward and the linkage may go out of line momentarily... You got solid mounts?

GRUNT 16V
30-10-12, 12:43 PM
stiffen the rear gearbox mount this should help

vx kev
30-10-12, 08:29 PM
Engine mounts, I had the same issue, under hard acceleration the engine is shifted back toward the bulk head and the release of torque when you release the throttle throws the weight forward and the linkage may go out of line momentarily... You got solid mounts?

That was my original thought Will having tried adjusting to no avail, i dont have solid mounts yet but i am looking at buying a set as the car is mostly going to be used on track!

Im still quietly convinced the box is good as it was perfect in the old car, but all thoughts, pointers and advice are a good help.
:thumb: