PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Mick Wilkes and his HA Viva Van

Nobby
27-10-12, 06:05 PM
alright chaps thought id share this with you. Ive posted a few videos of my freind on here before and his Viva van. Well recently he had his Van shipped over to USA to compete in Drag week he had to drive over 600miles to 5 different drag tracks and compete againstsome of the yanks quickest cars. Not only did he have to drive to the track in his vehicle he had to take all tools spares with him!! Obviuosly he wasnt going to win trophies agaist some quick sub 10 second cars but put in a low 11 and consiquently won "spirit of drag week" award! Ive got massive repesct for this bloke and what he does for a job (builds paints repairs hot rods,classics race, 1/4mile fast road cars vans etc etc) and on the track but this would be a dream! After the racing he drove down route 66 in his Van to Santa Monica. Heres a video from HOTROD magazine they made of him!!

Enjoy!

http://blogs.hotrod.com/video-wacky-mick-the-brit-shows-us-the-spirit-of-drag-week-and-does-burnouts-in-a-panel-van-38755.html

scott.parker
27-10-12, 06:07 PM
As per FB dude, he's a ''local'' hero as far as I'm concerned :)

Nobby
27-10-12, 06:08 PM
As per FB dude, he's a ''local'' hero as far as I'm concerned :)

Defo mate he didnt tell anyone until the day before he flew out that he was going incase anything went tits up lol

scott.parker
27-10-12, 06:12 PM
I think it blew the yanks away with how he was, and the fact we will try to help out if we can, where as it's a different culture in the us so he must of reminded them of how it used to be.

Count Vaux Alot
27-10-12, 06:22 PM
Spotted the thread on retro rides about Mick - massive respect!

david dixon
27-10-12, 08:12 PM
mick sure is wacky but sounds as, love the van too!

mowgli
27-10-12, 08:14 PM
that man is a hero.. both brave & daft to make a trip like that in a LET powered gpo van, i really miss my old road trips, going across europe with a box of spanners & a bag of spares...
his gf should get a medal for going with him

it should be made into a feature film....'the worlds fastest brummie'

Nobby
27-10-12, 09:35 PM
that man is a hero.. both brave & daft to make a trip like that in a LET powered gpo van, i really miss my old road trips, going across europe with a box of spanners & a bag of spares...
his gf should get a medal for going with him

it should be made into a feature film....'the worlds fastest brummie'

Mowgli how dare you!! ..... He aint a brummie wem from the Black Country!!

mowgli
27-10-12, 10:03 PM
funny that, cos i always was told that no-one actually lived in the black country, as it always started in the next town over......lol

ok, but worlds fastest yom yom doesn't sound so good.....

ps. i had a text read out on radio 5live one day, when some tit came up with calling the whole area 'greater birmingham' to increase inward investment... my response was that they would do better if they called it 'not birmingham' lol lol lol lol

Nobby
27-10-12, 11:13 PM
Haha ye its yamyam, most people round here hate being called a brummie were xloser to wolverhampton than birmingham though

mowgli
28-10-12, 08:30 AM
try accusing someone from tamworth of being a brummie....... thats always good for a 10 minute argument

Hobbit
28-10-12, 01:09 PM
That's very cool! The guy has some balls.

scott.parker
28-10-12, 02:19 PM
Yep Stourbridgeions are yamyams, I love the delict, yam alright, but daye dohie yaram weram they :-)

53gsi
28-10-12, 02:55 PM
Loved the video!He seems like a top guy and did us brits proud i reckon