PDA

View Full Version : Sills, to seal or not to seal?

steg1970
25-10-12, 12:17 PM
What do people generally do to prevent sills rusting from the inside? Is it a good idea so seal them, even filling them with expanding foam, or is this counter productive and prevents moisture escaping thus encouraging rust.

Ta

L14MNP
25-10-12, 01:11 PM
Paint them in etch primer such as etchweld or upol #8 then top coat before fitting. Then douse the cavity in Dynax 50 (iirc thats what it is called).

Novasport
25-10-12, 02:13 PM
If you are replacing sills then paint the insides with a Zinc rich primer where you can whilst the sill is off and fill cavity with Dinitrol cavity wax or similar.

Yorkie
25-10-12, 05:42 PM
Oooo might do the same. got some doors to put on but i hate the idea of them rusting away as soob as their on. any tips to avoid arch rust as well? Or just use the same high zinc primer?

L14MNP
25-10-12, 07:22 PM
Oooo might do the same. got some doors to put on but i hate the idea of them rusting away as soob as their on. any tips to avoid arch rust as well? Or just use the same high zinc primer?

Take inspiration from the Peugeot 205 and similar, and do away with the inner arch lip. Instead, tack it to the inside of the outer quarter panel where it is flat. Then you have no double skinned area/'shelf' to trap water etc. between the welds.

Ian with two I's fitted his this way too.

Dan Stanley
25-10-12, 09:52 PM
I can't picture this in my mind, have you got photos or something to illustrate? Are you suggesting completely cutting off the inside lip, or bending it right up so that it lies flat against the inside of the arch?

Yorkie
26-10-12, 07:48 PM
Take inspiration from the Peugeot 205 and similar, and do away with the inner arch lip. Instead, tack it to the inside of the outer quarter panel where it is flat. Then you have no double skinned area/'shelf' to trap water etc. between the welds.

Ian with two I's fitted his this way too.

aww thanks when it comes to sorting all this i will give it a try :-)

Jon_nova1
27-10-12, 10:51 AM
completely cut off where the lips curve under the arch

L14MNP
27-10-12, 10:56 AM
completely cut off where the lips curve under the arch

On the inner skin. Can leave the lip on the outer, for strength.

Then weld the inner skin to the outer a few inches further up.

Novasport
27-10-12, 12:55 PM
TBH, I would not weld the lip as you could get some distortion. If I was going to do it I would bond it then seal it which will give less chance of water ingress and ultimately corrosion. Bonding can be as strong as welding and more flexible.

Yorkie
27-10-12, 04:23 PM
Now im liking the sounds of that bond stuff. :)