PDA

View Full Version : Opel Monza 1.6 GSI from South Africa distributor help

VineshN
24-10-12, 12:46 PM
I have the above car which has the same engine/fuel injection setup as a Nova Gsi. Mine is a E16SE engine 92 model. There are very few of these cars still on the road here and any technical information/parts is very hard to find locally. Bumped the connector at the bottom of my distributor recently and after that the wires have become loose. I noticed that at some stage this connector was modified in my car. Most likely because someone broke the original one off. Now the person who rewired the distributor used a 4 pin connector but used just three of the pins to connect back to the loom. I hunted around and eventually found an aftermarket distributor that has three pins(according to the spares shop this one is the correct one for my car). I assumed that this is how it was originally. I found a bosch 3 pin connector to match after much looking also. On closer inspection of my current wiring i see three wires coming out of the distributor then some insulation tape and only 2 black wires going back into the loom. So essentially someone at some stage hacked the original wires to connect this distributor. What I'm trying to understand is how this can work with only 2 wires. Car runs perfectly fine. My thoughts are is it possible that since the distributor connector was modified they could have grounded the earth wire within the distributor? I would like to know what the original distributor and wiring looks like on a std nova gsi? Is it a 3 wire or two wire type? Mine has the siemens ignition control unit. Which was swopped out at some stage when I first bought the car. I suspect now that this box may not have been the same as the original and then they swapped out the dizzy as well to match the ignition control unit that only needed two wires coming from the dizzy. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mowgli
24-10-12, 01:19 PM
the e16se dizzy only has a hall effect sensor in the Low Voltage side. and usually has a bosch one. the corsa b 1.2 8v spi has the exact same dizzy on it.

i will find some pics & put them on tonight

VineshN
31-10-12, 06:46 AM
Mine definately has only two wires coming out of it. The third wire is cut off. I dont think a hall effect sensor can work with only two wires. I have reason to believe that my original distributor was swapped for a 2 wire inductive type from an older model. Seing how the inductive pickup no longer worked they swapped the ignition control unit as well. The box that is on there is a Siemens EZ Plus. On checking the GM codes I seee it is for a 1.6SV engine. The car has run perfectly until now which leads me to think that all the ignition components of the 1.6SV and 1.6SE are the same.