PDA

View Full Version : 1300 hydraulic lifters

pottersrebel
21-10-12, 09:14 PM
do they make a heavy duty lifter? yet more issues with the stockcar, basically done another meeting today and after the second heat the lifters are playing up on the inlet side causing it too backfire thru the carb,
ive had a new head last meeting which came with brand new lifters and ive also had this problem in the past which was resolved with replacing the lifters so it makes me think is there a heavier duty lifter i can use?
dont know if it helps but it seems to be over fuelling as when i ease off into the bends it pops thru the exhaust
Ive only had these problems since replacing the carb so if anyone has a good working completly standard pierberg 2e3 pm with price

Novasport
21-10-12, 09:23 PM
Solid lifters? Are they permitted on your race series?

garyc
21-10-12, 09:36 PM
What oil are you using, what rpm's are you pulling, have you got decent oil pressure?

mowgli
21-10-12, 09:38 PM
/\ agreed

pottersrebel
21-10-12, 09:54 PM
no idea on the revs ( no revo, get told off for looking in the mirror so a revo is a no go)
and without checking i think its 50 weight valvoline racing oil VR1?????????? not sure on solid lifters but will look into it

garyc
21-10-12, 10:10 PM
Sounds like you have jacked the lifters up by over revving which normally happens around 8000rpm. Perhaps a telltale rev counter is your answer or a taller diff.

therealnovaboy
22-10-12, 03:18 AM
If its back firing through the inlet then Id check if the timing is correct. Fueling could also be an issue.

If its jacked a lifter then you'd probably have bent a valve. Id dare say it would run **** all the time with a bent valve.

Ive never heard of uprated lifters. I heard some where not sure where so may be made up, that when developing the rally cars they tried to engineer them so they could rev harder. They messed about with oil pressures and grades but never had much sucsess. Probably read it on here.

pottersrebel
22-10-12, 05:56 PM
Sounds like you have jacked the lifters up by over revving which normally happens around 8000rpm. Perhaps a telltale rev counter is your answer or a taller diff.
That sounds about right gary as it was running with a different gearing in which i normally use on a shorter track.
If its jacked a lifter do i need to replace it? and if it had bent a valve would i know?? its runs ok now just starts back firing when its revved hard, i did alter the timing by 2 degrees so im now thinking i pushed it just that little bit too far.

garyc
22-10-12, 05:58 PM
It shouldn't bend valves, you will know when it happens as it feels like a rev limiter cutting in. Have you had it on a rolling road yet to sort the fuelling. On the old head what did the tips of the valves look like?

mowgli
22-10-12, 06:06 PM
if its over fueling, there is a chance you are getting unburnt petrol mixing with the oil & thinning it...that would make the lifters bounce.

i did once fill my engine with a 'premium' grade 15w40 & it caused horrendous lifter bounce... so i drained it & refilled with a 15w50 & had no further trouble.

pottersrebel
22-10-12, 08:21 PM
It shouldn't bend valves, you will know when it happens as it feels like a rev limiter cutting in. Have you had it on a rolling road yet to sort the fuelling. On the old head what did the tips of the valves look like?no mate funds are pretty much dry for this season, im taking it too a stock rod racer at the weekend who`s going have a look at the carb ( he thinks it may need balancing, what ever that means )
Ive only got two more meetings to do this season so once their out the way ill be getting it set up properly on the rollers.
I didnt get to see the old head as i wasnt present when it was swapped and we did an exchange, it was just easier for him to bring a new head with him rather than mess about with the old one pit side.
Cheers for your help guys as you can tell i aint got a clue on most things lol im not lucky enough have a team around me like some of the other drivers. so have to get by with wat i know

garyc
23-10-12, 05:57 PM
I bet you will find loads of power and it will run loads better one its been set up properly. Then you will have to revisit your gearing.....

pottersrebel
23-10-12, 06:54 PM
Now gearing im good on lol, most drivers use the 4.1 diff with a 2.14 for buxton (long straights) and the 2.21 for the shorter tracks i.e skegness and im lucky enough to have both of them
I tried the 2.21 at buxton which most of the quicker drivers do but it didnt seem work for me

burgo
23-10-12, 08:47 PM
I always thought the lifters drained at high rpm. Certainly what it sounds and feels like and makes the most sense to me. As for popping through the exhaust on overrun all carb engines do this all the time. Only way to stop it is to find someway of stopping it drawing in fuel, how The hell that would be achieved I do not no. I've always liked it personally.

pottersrebel
23-10-12, 09:10 PM
the thing is burgo mine does it a hell of alot more than any off the over 20 odd cars on track, i lost my incar camera at the weekend or i could have uploaded that to show you how bad it is

burgo
23-10-12, 09:34 PM
Were they gm lifters or ebay specials? When does it play up exactly? On the straights or corners

pottersrebel
23-10-12, 10:04 PM
the lifters were provided by my engine builder and i would assume he wouldnt use cheapo ebay jobbies so id expect them to be half decent ( but i can check ). its backfiring (popping) as i ease off the throttle coming upto a bend, with it being an oval track we only use second gear so ill be pulling close to full revs as i ease off.

burgo
23-10-12, 11:42 PM
As I said popping on overrun is normal although it should be popping out the exhaust. If you are sure it's popping back through the inlet you have to much ignition advance