PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed input shaft withdrawal

trojanhawrs
21-10-12, 06:36 PM
Recently purchased a 5 speed corsa b gearbox (assume f13) and instead of an end plate like my 4 speed, theres a cover between it which removes to reveal what I'm guessing is fifth gear?
Anyway, just wondering how to get the input shaft out to fit - do i have to lift the whole cluster?
Ta

mowgli
21-10-12, 07:40 PM
are you just swapping the mucky bits over, or the whole box?

if you have the end cover off, and are swapping the whole box, just turning the end gear a little will make it line up the splines, its fiddly but doable.

trojanhawrs
21-10-12, 08:08 PM
yeah changing the whole box
will i have enough room to get the shaft past the clutch? (bearing in mind the engines still in the car)

if it's easier to swap bits around i'd do that, but dont really know what the issue is. I'm not getting drive in the car, and with the gearbox out i can turn the gears with the input shaft, and it's turning the diff too.
I did read somewhere on another thread that if the diff access plate has a golden film on it -which mines appears to - it means the baulk ring is goosed (but I don't know whether that would cause my problem).
Open to any suggestions

mowgli
21-10-12, 08:34 PM
when you take a box out, there is only one mount left on the engine, so you can lower the engine down so the box fits on an angle.

make sure you use the 5 speed shifter box (little ally bit on the top of the gearbox), and then modify the nova gearstick to allow for the extra gear.

trojanhawrs
21-10-12, 09:06 PM
Are there any guides I can use for rebuilding a gearbox, or manuals?
dont see anything in articles :confused:

mowgli
21-10-12, 09:08 PM
get an old light blue haynes book.

if you swap the clusters, you need to swap the output gears over, as they are matched up with the big diff gear.