PDA

View Full Version : How do I test the coil on a nova gte?

ben doodar
20-10-12, 03:37 PM
Hi, I've just moved my car out of the garage to have a tidy up, it was running fine then just cut out, I've taken a plug out and it appears not to be sparking. Any suggestions? Is there a way I can check if the coil is working? It has a flat 4 pin plug.

Cheers.

ben doodar
20-10-12, 08:50 PM
Any info on this would be appreciated, there's no spark. Checked the cap and rotor, all earths look nice and clean. Where or how can I trace the fault, say a crank sensor has gone down etc..

bazil
20-10-12, 08:52 PM
Gte should have a E16

Which has no crank or cam sensor

Also the 4 pin plug isn't the coil but the amplifier beneath it,

Haynes shows how to check the coil windings for resistance

ben doodar
20-10-12, 09:07 PM
Yes wasn't sure on it having a crank sensor I was thinking about old my old gsi, that did have a crank sensor but as you've pointed out that would of been a E16 as it was coil pack. I'll have a look in my Haynes manual now.
If there was a problem with the air flow meter could that stop it from giving a spark? Cheers bazil.

bazil
20-10-12, 09:21 PM
No, AFM only controls fuelling
Ecu on bulkhead controlled ignition and engine speed is picked up by hall effect in the dizzy

To be honest it's a process of elimination mate

ben doodar
20-10-12, 09:29 PM
Utter pain in the ****. Somebody was planning to come and view it on Tuesday as its up for sale. bloody typical it's been running fine for months. I think a new coil would be the first thing to check. Is it more likely to be the cylinder coil or the amplifier? Sorry to spun like a noob but I've come to a dead stop with it.

bazil
20-10-12, 09:35 PM
To be honest I don't know mate, Christ the dizzy could be telling the ecu the engine isn't turning?

It's testing each component time now :(

ben doodar
20-10-12, 09:38 PM
Lol as I expected tbh mate. Thanks for your input anyway.