PDA

View Full Version : homemade exhaust

turbojolt
19-10-12, 03:19 PM
anyone ever made there own exhaust out of mild steel?

is it easy to buy steel with 90* bends init already etc?

cheers

Iain
19-10-12, 03:31 PM
Looks like you can buy various straights, bends, silencers etc as components. Looks a big job to get it all on and nice unless you're planning a short and sweet side exit or something.

Ashley system isn't that expensive.

turbojolt
19-10-12, 03:39 PM
ive got a system for the nova, was just wondering how easy it would be to fab up something for my brothers car, as the larger s/s downpipes cost a fortune!

brainsnova
19-10-12, 04:21 PM
You have to be **** hot at welding first

EwanG
19-10-12, 04:44 PM
It wouldnt be too hard depending on what your fabrication skills are like. As said just buy the bits you need and use the old one as a template. If you have a steel workbench or steel plate big enough to lay the exhaust on you can make two plates for each end of the downpipe with the same hole centres. Then bolt them to your old downpipe and tack weld them to your jig plate or bench and draw round your old downpipe onto the bench or jig. Unbolt your old one an make the new one. Try and roughly follow the line on the plate with the pipe and bolt the new flanges to the tack welded plates on your jig and weld the flanges onto the pipes. If the flanges are in line with the hole centred plates on your jig and the pipe bend is within say 10mm of the old bend line (depending on how much clearance you have) Then your new downpipe should fit :d.

Paul
19-10-12, 04:48 PM
Done my own on the turbo and the new one.

turbojolt
19-10-12, 04:57 PM
looking at a metal work bench and a half decent gas mig welder, when my money woes are all worked out :d

Stuart
19-10-12, 06:21 PM
ive got a system for the nova, was just wondering how easy it would be to fab up something for my brothers car, as the larger s/s downpipes cost a fortune!

Lol, putting a mild steel exhaust on an evo...... Classy

turbojolt
19-10-12, 06:28 PM
because mild steel isn't good enough for a overpriced jap car, but good enough for nearly every major motor company :confused:

turbojolt
19-10-12, 06:30 PM
and wasnt on about the whole exhaust for the evo just the down pipe

Stuart
19-10-12, 07:50 PM
because mild steel isn't good enough for a overpriced jap car, but good enough for nearly every major motor company :confused:

because it will rot with the heat of the exhaust gas faster than you can get off work sick again lol

turbojolt
19-10-12, 07:51 PM
because it will rot with the heat of the exhaust gas faster than you can get off work sick again lol

wanna bet ;)

Stuart
19-10-12, 07:54 PM
You gonna find some 1/2" thick pipe to make it from? :p

turbojolt
19-10-12, 07:58 PM
i was on about the sick bit lol

therealnovaboy
19-10-12, 08:37 PM
IMO making an exhaust is one of the hardest things on a car to fabricate. Unless you have a 2/4 post ramp, bandsaw, and welder, just buy one.