PDA

View Full Version : Removing Delco calipers

Nova_Tek
17-10-12, 04:00 PM
I'm about beginning to get to the end of my tether with this.

I've tried everything from my wheels bolt wrench (which is about 60cm long), a normal wrench and whacking that with a hammer. I even bought a 400NM electric impact wrench purely to get these calipers off. Not to mention WD40.

How can I remove them? The two hex bolts on the rear just won't give. I don't have the luxury of using an oxy-aceteline torch as I don't have one.

I've seen products like 'bolt shock' or something similar in name which is like a penetrating fluid but supposed to remove rusted bolts.

I just need ideas as I'm getting totally p*ssed off!

vauxluva
17-10-12, 04:50 PM
Sorry to say pall but it needs the heat, Its the future :thumb::thumb:

Nova_Tek
17-10-12, 05:19 PM
would a zippo do?

garyc
17-10-12, 05:38 PM
3ft breaker bar.

brainsnova
17-10-12, 06:59 PM
You sure your loosening them lol lefty loosey, righty tighty

Paul
17-10-12, 07:11 PM
Breaker bar

Andy
17-10-12, 07:12 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe0TnCKkpmu8KQSSBbZ5OxvCsB-_FNlT6408fkT2jhs-tHQ206ww lol

Spudly
17-10-12, 07:52 PM
Plusgas is your friend, or borrow a welding torch to heat it, then use some of that 'freeze your nuts off' which clools the bolts and rapidly free's them off, aparrently lol

Jeff16v
17-10-12, 07:54 PM
Scaffold bar and a fat mate

mowgli
17-10-12, 08:44 PM
don't you just pop the silly little caps off & undo the allen keyed sliders with a big allen key & a hammer???? it always worked for me

Nova_Tek
19-10-12, 09:16 AM
3ft breaker bar.

Will never fit under the wheel arch of a Nova on axle stands.

You sure your loosening them lol lefty loosey, righty tighty

I checked. I did flip the direction to even try tighten quickly to break the seizure of the bolts but still no luck.

Breaker bar

Restricted mate like I mentioned above.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe0TnCKkpmu8KQSSBbZ5OxvCsB-_FNlT6408fkT2jhs-tHQ206ww lol

That will never fit under the arch lol

Plusgas is your friend, or borrow a welding torch to heat it, then use some of that 'freeze your nuts off' which clools the bolts and rapidly free's them off, aparrently lol

May have to really consider that as a last resort.

Scaffold bar and a fat mate

lol

don't you just pop the silly little caps off & undo the allen keyed sliders with a big allen key & a hammer???? it always worked for me

Yeah it is supposed to be that easy... caps are off allen key bolts just dont undo :(

bazil
19-10-12, 10:32 AM
I do hope you are not trying to undo the 2 hex bolts that hold the caliper together lol

That would be an epic fail!

mowgli
19-10-12, 12:34 PM
I do hope you are not trying to undo the 2 hex bolts that hold the caliper together lol

That would be an epic fail!

not necessarily bazil.. cos if i was removing delco calipers, i'd have no intention of refitting them... so undo the caliper extn & then wack the other bit out the back and split the sliders...

Paul
19-10-12, 12:35 PM
Lock the wheel or jack the car right up. Ive taken hundreds of calipers off with a breaker bar. You can get it in if u try.

Jon_nova1
19-10-12, 02:06 PM
turn the steering wheel so the wing won't interfere with the breaker bar...

Nova_Tek
20-10-12, 12:17 AM
SORTED!

Went and got some 'Shock & Unlock'. Gave it a generous coating of the stuff and left it for a few minutes. I got my ratchet and another hollow metal tube to extend it. Got out my rubber mallet and gave it a f*cking good smashing. Then gave it some brute force and weight and felt the bolt shift slightly. Got the impact wrench out and it came off! Same deal for the other one :)

Now if I only could remember where I put the 1144's :cry: